Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I'm gonna get flamed for this I'm sure, but please don't just attend the Treo Road Show just because of the coupon.

From what I've been told, the show is designed to attract corporate decision makers to the Treo platform for wireless email. Some folks here sound like hungry vultures attending a time share presentation to get a round of golf for free. If you go, at least be interested in the topic at hand!

Every seat taken means one less seat that is available for someone that might actually be interested in deploying Treo smartphones in an enterprise. It's not just a presentation about the Treo 650... it's about wireless applications.

To quote the site:
    These seminars will show you how the latest wireless data applications can power your business to new heights of efficiency and productivity.

f you are a CIO or Line of Business Manager, you'll want to attend our morning session to learn why you should deploy secure corporate email and/or other corporate data wirelessly to your employees.

If you are an IT Manager, join us in the afternoon session to learn how to deploy secure corporate email and/or other corporate data wirelessly.
    I know the temptation is to go, sit for 3 hrs and then grab your coupon and run. The coupon is pretty attractive, but it should not be the only reason to go.
    The roadshow I went to at the Tech Expo was an intro to the Treo 600 (which has only been out for a year), and sales pitches from 3rd party vendors. Hopefully the upcoming one in NY will be different.
    Anybody got a match. JK
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Unless they have a qualifier for attendance such as "must be a C-level decision maker to attend" or similar then all's fair. I'm in enterprise telecom sales myself right now and it's just the way it is - vendors court end users and resellers for obvious reasons and do their best to weed out techno nerds but in the end it's up to them to decide who to admit or not. Now if people here were talking about lying on their registration forms that'd be another story.
    Are there really that many people that hang out at TreoCentral that wouldn't be interested in hearing everything that will be said at these presentations? I love hearing about all of this stuff personally.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Unless they have a qualifier for attendance such as "must be a C-level decision maker to attend" or similar then all's fair. I'm in enterprise telecom sales myself right now and it's just the way it is - vendors court end users and resellers for obvious reasons and do their best to weed out techno nerds but in the end it's up to them to decide who to admit or not. Now if people here were talking about lying on their registration forms that'd be another story.
    Sure, there are no restrictions, but abusing the system now only means that the next series of Road Shows might become invite only or pay an entrance fee. I'm sure everyone's welcome to attend and nobody will be turned away, but I'd hope that we're all not just going because of some stupid coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    Are there really that many people that hang out at TreoCentral that wouldn't be interested in hearing everything that will be said at these presentations? I love hearing about all of this stuff personally.
    U had me going Robert.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    I'd even pay to hear about the Treo platform. We have a Blackberry platform deployed at the moment, and the maturity just wasn't there yet to invest in Treo. If they have a compelling reason to switch, I'm listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    U had me going Robert.
    lol
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I'm an IT manager and make related purchasing decisions for a 500 person organization. My interest in going is both personal and professional however, since P1 made no distinction with the invite, I don't see why having non-IT professionals is a problem. If I have to stand, so be it. Now if I'm turned away having already registered, that's another issue, but otherwise I don't see what the problem is.
    You are right, to a point. There is a pitch at the end. However, the presentation itself is quite interesting and anyone here would find it fascinating.

No doubt, we are all "influencers" to an extent.
    Last edited by MHR; 10/27/2004 at 04:59 PM.
    They gotta sell phones to sell the service...
    Well, it just so happens that I AM such a decision maker, but frankly, if they wanted to limit who showed up they could have done so pretty easily, but they didn't.

Would not suprise me if the surge in interest in the shows from the TC type of person because of the 650 catches them by surprise somewhat.
    where r the marshmellows i brought the grahamn crackers and chocolate.
    The show i went to was 60%+ empty.. I think there's room for a few TC people
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    i just want the coupon
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    i just want the coupon
    me too.....
    Now, I haven't been to any of the shows, but are they actually packed? Can someone who's visited one elaborate? I just didn't get an impression that poor IT department managers were fighting for every available seat on the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Anybody got a match. JK
    No, but I have a lighter. LOL
    Somebody posted that the show they went to was not very crowded, but that was before teh 650 was announced I believe.

The ironic thing is that the REAL decision makers at most places, never go to these things if they can help it. (Unless it is an excuse for a free trip somewhere, lol). At best they send someone to find out the info and report back.

So, it is very possible that, at the next few shows, the TC-type crowd could actually outnumber the "suits" that they are supposidly aiming for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast