Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    FlashLite is reportedly coming to several major brand handsets used on US carriers in 2005. Has anyone heard if Palm is one of these?

    Any whispers of this at CTIA? Is the processor fast enough for it now? How fast was the Clié processor that had the Flash player with it?
  2. #2  
    Yeah, MacroMedia wanted all mobile devices to run Flash!. They wanted it as the only services UI. CPU is not a problem, Flash is not that intensive. I really want to know how much it can interact with the native OS to make Flash very compelling.

    Any dates of betas ?. I would be keen to test-drive a beta....
  3. #3  
    I talked to Macromedia at CTIA (yeah, i know, it seems like I talked to everyone), asking about their plans for Palm OS.

    They want to sell their product to the manufacture to build into the device - they want to become a standard, but only if they make money off each unit sold with the software. Sony paid to have flash built into the clies. However, PalmOne has shown no interest in paying macromedia for inclusion on the Treo line, so they have no plans in the near future to share. Macromedia has 0 plans to offering their palm os client for free, or on a per user publicly available license.

    In my opinion, I don't think palmone will ever pay macromedia to include flash on the device, so unless macromedia changes their business strategy, I think it's safe to say we're unfortunately left out.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    They want to sell their product to the manufacture to build into the device - they want to become a standard, but only if they make money off each unit sold with the software. Sony paid to have flash built into the clies. However, PalmOne has shown no interest in paying macromedia for inclusion on the Treo line, so they have no plans in the near future to share. Macromedia has 0 plans to offering their palm os client for free, or on a per user publicly available license.
    Why would Macromedia demand money for their Palm OS client? It is free on EVERY other platform they make it available for. This is ridiculous. The rules don't change. I'm a designer who uses Flash, and when I say the rules don't change, I'm talking about proliferation creating demand – demand for the content and content creation software. This is how they make their money. Not by charging people to create and to view. Palm would be doing them a favor.


    Wait a minute, Why WOULDN'T Palm have any interest in paying Macromedia to include the Flash client on their Treos; they have proven their willingness to do so by licensing M$ Exchange Server and ActiveSync stuff.

    This would in fact be perfect for their future plans, as I understand them. I just read WirelessWeek's CTIA coverage (Wednesday edition) and they had said that Palm wants to have a business oriented Treo and then a consumer oriented Treo.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Why would Macromedia demand money for their Palm OS client? It is free on EVERY other platform they make it available for. This is ridiculous. The rules don't change.
    The whole point of the soon to be announced handsets that will have flash built in, is that Macromedia sold the handset makers the license to put flash on those devices. Macromedia is not doing this for free for them; they want to make money off each one.

    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Wait a minute, Why WOULDN'T Palm have any interest in paying Macromedia to include the Flash client on their Treos; they have proven their willingness to do so by licensing M$ Exchange Server and ActiveSync stuff.
    Yeah, and the MS Exchange stuff is a killer feature for the Treo. Like, palmone expects to dramatically change the view of email out of the box for the Treo 650. What would flash add that is that important? Even on a consumer version, a better mp3 and video player would come before flash content.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6. #6  
    I have to agree there. Flash is fairly low on the list of prioreties for the treo. Paying money? I think there are plenty of other things that would be much better. Wmv and wma support for example. Costs lots probably but would make a consumer far happier then flash.

    I think the idea of a company wanting to make a standard and then making people pay like that is so pointless (per use would be far better)
  7. #7  
    I can confirm this. I asked PalmOne Exec, Kevin Mamajek, at the Chicago Treo road show about Flash and he specifically stated that Macromedia wanted bookoo $$ to lisence Flash. He stated that PalmOne had approached Macromedia several times, but that every time Macromedia was insistant that PalmOne pay a lisencing fee for Flash.

    I also asked about native PDF support via Piscel and was given a similar explanation about the cost associated with lisencing. He stated that they were initially waiting on Adobe for native pdf support, but weren't disappointed with the lack of any options currently...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    The whole point of the soon to be announced handsets that will have flash built in, is that Macromedia sold the handset makers the license to put flash on those devices. Macromedia is not doing this for free for them; they want to make money off each one.
    I still think it is ridiculous for Macromedia to charge for the player.

    Does Apple charge for QuickTime media player?
    Does Adobe charge for Acrobat Reader?
    Does Aladdin charge for StuffIt Expander?
    etc, etc...

    My point is that the money the companies make is from the content creation software.
    Apple sells Final Cut Pro, Motion, Shake, GarageBand, iMovie, etc.
    Adobe sells Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign Acrobat Pro, etc.
    Aladdin sells Stuffit Deluxe...

    Macromedia sells Flash MX and Flash MX Pro

    You don't charge at both ends, people will find other ways if you do. It's a bad business model and I think you probably realize that. So... I guess the reason I bring this up is just to make people aware and hopefully some good will come of it somehow.

    I'm also partially prompted to address this again today by learning that Macromedia's CO of the newly created mobile and devices business unit, Juha Christensen is resigning today. Good riddance I say.

    Maybe things will change.
  9. #9  
    flashLite already release 1.1 amd support symbianUIQ phone
    as I know only sonyClie mmplash can use on Sony Palm..
    I hope Macromedia can develop Palm base flashLite for treo650 ..

Posting Permissions