Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In these troubled times of decision making as the holiday $eason approaches and the enticing T650 upgrade looming in the horizon, I have the following advice:

- Keep the T600 as long as possible (aka functional?). Do not lose the Palm OS flexibility, the Treo form factor sexiness, the keyboard by switching to some unweildy Brick (read, PDA2K).

- Pa1mOne is playing games with you and your over extended wallet. PLAY THE GAME with them by YOUR RULES. Here's how: Use Palm's own over simplified return policy of exchanging buggy Treos for free by making sure your Treo works perfectly at ALL times. At the slightest hint of failure, RETURN the erring gizmo to Pa1m and get a new one. You get 3 months warranty from each return date in case of any problems.
    By doing so, A) You have a fresh gadget B) Your ebay resale value stays almost undiminshed.

- Invest in hacks and software that are constantly appearing on a daily basis to improve the functionality of your current Treo via SOFTWARE. By doing so, you will also be supporting young and up and coming programmers. Also, if you stay with the same platform, your software like the excellent callfilter, snappermail etc travel with you for the most part.

REMEMBER that just like in the purchase of a great, loaded PC, the REAL costs come AFTER the purchase for software and accessories. Cradles, Charge and Sync cables, cases all ADD UP!!

- Wait and watch for the Treo 650 prices to calm down, RUN OUT you cell phone contracts in the meantime so that you can get the Treo 650 at new contract prices when the time is right.

- Watch for developments w.r.t. other devices out there that are supposed to be released shortly (including PPC) such as the MPX, Jam etc that have high potential AND form factor.

- Remember that you are NOT HURTING with a Treo 600. You have THE groundbreaking phone of the year which still holds its own against any competition CURRRENTLY out there.

I apologize for sounding heavy handed but I think its important to throw a few perspectives out there to help people on the fence make a better decision.

Oh, as far as the non Treo 600 owners are concerned....WHAT THE $&%! ARE YOU WAITING FOR??!!
    I have detailed files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    Oh, as far as the non Treo 600 owners are concerned....WHAT THE $&%! ARE YOU WAITING FOR??!!
    Well, I'm waiting to see if I can get an unlocked Treo 650, if Sprint's service is worth entering a 1 or 2 year contract for one, or if I should pick up a discount deal of a Treo 600 complete with assessories.

I've been reading the boards daily, and I presume I shall continue to do so until more information is available on the Treo 650 release.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post, Treominator.
    I think you make some great points, but you can't deny the coolness factor of having the newest treo.
  4.    #4  
    My suggestion would be to watch your wallet (Christmas is around the corner)
    Also, double check your contract expiration date. If its a matter of few months to renew, you might wanna wait and watch developments, reviews more closely. Then use the contract price to purchase.

I think with the introduction of the Treo 650, the prices of the 600 will/should drop quite fast just like the 270 at the launch of the T600.

Also, if you had a Treo 270 etc before, your accessories will still work and that is also an important factor.

I STRONGLY suggest you use the under exaggerated power of contract renewal and number portability to try and find the best value for your future device (Palm or PPC).

Plus, there is always EBAY
    I have detailed files.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    I think you make some great points, but you can't deny the coolness factor of having the newest treo.
    You need to remember that the coolness factor of such a high end and niche device upgrade is confined for the most part to the pages of the Treo central pages and its invisible forum dwellers. They do not pay your bills and for the most part will never see you in public.
    Your wife and kids however, might not like the slimmed down XMas presents this year bcoz of your new toy

REMEMBER: If you have a Treo 600, you are ALREADY cool in ANYONE'S book.
    I have detailed files.
    My suggestion would be to watch your wallet (Christmas is around the corner)
    Also, double check your contract expiration date. If its a matter of few months to renew, you might wanna wait and watch developments, reviews more closely. Then use the contract price to purchase.

I think with the introduction of the Treo 650, the prices of the 600 will/should drop quite fast just like the 270 at the launch of the T600.

Also, if you had a Treo 270 etc before, your accessories will still work and that is also an important factor.
    FYI, I have a Nokia 3650(as well as my wife), my Palm broke 8 months ago, and I haven't replaced it. I sync all my stuff with the Nokia, which isn't cutting it lately. My contract with T-Mobile has expired, so I'm free to change carriers.
    I have never had a Treo and thus no peripherals.
    I'm counting on an early Christmas present in the form of a phone/pda
    Nah...everyone should buy it. I'm telling you, when it comes out...its gonna be a huge success. And every 600 owner that sat on their bottom whilst everyone else got one are gonna be kickin themselves in their &$$3$!!!
    You need to remember that the coolness factor of such a high end and niche device upgrade is confined for the most part to the pages of the Treo central pages and its invisible forum dwellers. They do not pay your bills and for the most part will never see you in public.
    Your wife and kids however, might not like the slimmed down XMas presents this year bcoz of your new toy

REMEMBER: If you have a Treo 600, you are ALREADY cool in ANYONE'S book.

Just wanted to add that from what i've seen/heard you can't use the treo 650 as a modem anymore with Sprint. That feature alone is worth not upgrading.
    i have a 600 and i'm getting the 650. palm can have my $600 (or $350 if i can get the roadshow price).

now what if in a year the bring out another version (treo800) and it has more mem, a better camara and wifi, would I upgrade then. maybe not.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The IT guy my company has contracted out last week came in and tried to show me his newest gizmo....a Treo 600!

Hah.....I laughed so hard....why....have had mine for quite some time!

Therefore we are the coolest already.

Will pass down my 600 to my Mom when 650 becomes available on my carrier....not switching carrier cause I REALLY like to plan I have and no one else seems to have one like it.
    Last edited by 2_meezers; 10/26/2004 at 10:32 PM. Reason: addition
  11.    #11  
    I was at Circuit City this afternoon and I saw the Treo 600 there for Verizon for $499 WITH new contract
    At Best Buy, the Sprint Version was $549 WITH contract.

I am sure online transactions might be a little cheaper.

BOTTOM LINE: AT THE PRESENT TIME, even with the introduction of the 650, MY TREO 600 is AN EXCELLENT investment.

Also, GSM is WORLDWIDE. I can GURANTEE you that I can make at least 60-75% of my investment back even in a YEAR from now, by selling my unlocked 600 plus some accessories on EBAY to a possible foreign buyer.
    I have detailed files.
    PS

Do you think Cingular buying AT&T wireless is going to make a big difference?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    PS

Do you think Cingular buying AT&T wireless is going to make a big difference?
    I think it might help some of the current dropped calls being experienced on the Treo.
    I have detailed files.
    I have AT&T and my phone started auto switching between it and Cingular when it had a better signal over 4 months ago, so if you are still having call dropping issues then it probably won't help. I'm still hoping thaź
    Treominator,

Your's is the voice of sanity and common sense. I have been reading a number of "angry" member post and it's unbelievable. I have learned something about my negotiation power when re-newing my contract which comes up in January 05. Tonight, I went to the AT&T store to ask how much of a discount I could get a Treo 600 for with my long standing relationship with AT&T. Of course, this was an "dry run" exercise to determine what my bargaining power would be on the acquisition of a Treo 650. They said $449.00, which is a $100.00 discount off the retail price of $549.00. I later learned that -- THAT'S THE PRICE THEY GIVE TO EVERYONE. Beside that, it's too high. So after reading your post, I have decided to wait until January when my contract is up. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    Just wanted to add that from what i've seen/heard you can't use the treo 650 as a modem anymore with Sprint. That feature alone is worth not upgrading.
    I agree. If I wind up purchasing the Treo 650, it won't be with Sprint for this very reason. I was hoping to replace my Kyocera 7135 with the Treo 650, but the more I think about it I'm not so sure it's a good decision at this time. I would surely miss the voice activated dialing, voice recorder, hands-free car kit, ability to use the 7135 as a wireless modem (Verizon), etc.

In my opinion, the Treo 650 offers four main features: High-Res screen, Bluetooth (crippled by Sprint), Faster processor and PalmOS 5. I'm thinking of holding-out for the next Treo Family member, this one may not be enough. Then again, I may change my mind the minute I see one...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I must agree with Treominator as well! As exciting as it is to finally get a new Treo, you have to admit it's not as ground breaking as many had hoped. As long as your unit is still under warranty you can get a replacement unit (if it starts to malfunction) which is what I just did last week. So while I was looking forward to the release information on the 650 I don't feel pressed now that I know.

I think folks are angry because they were both dissappointed and pissed that their expectations and tech hopes for the 650 fell short. Personally, I plan to wait on the Samsung Smartphone. I owned the A600 and really loved it so it will be interesting to see how their Smartphone holds up.

P.S. I thought the warranty on replacements was 6 months.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i have a 600 and i'm getting the 650. palm can have my $600 (or $350 if i can get the roadshow price).

now what if in a year the bring out another version (treo800) and it has more mem, a better camara and wifi, would I upgrade then. maybe not.
    PalmOne is doing what every electronic company does, put out a new model every year. Notice that they are not tossing in WiFi, more internal memory, new OS (ie: Cobalt), etc. onto the 650? Reason being, they will put these features on their next new models.... 700, 750, or 800?? This way, eager buyers who like to upgrade to the latest and greatest will fall onto their hands and shell out another 600.00US. This pattern always hold for any electronic manufacture. PalmOne is looking this at a revenue stand point.

I am with Treominator.... for those who already have a 600, I would list out the pros of the new 650 against the selling price. Is it really worth it? Always ask yourself this simple question when buying anything...."do you need it or do you want it?". The latter one usually wins when there is no self control. What happens when PalmOne puts out another model out in the new year with WiFi? Some manufactures will put out 2 new models per year. Will you shell out another 600.00US? For those who doesn't have a 600 yet, look at the pros and cons of buying a 600 (reduced price) and 650 (msrp).
    Last edited by redcap; 10/27/2004 at 04:38 AM.
    Will Palm1 dive so deep into the phone market that we will see different versions of Treo?

WiFi version
    BT version
    BT and no Camera
    Wifi and no camera
    A gamers version - no WiFi, no BT, Java runtime and lots of 'cool' games.
    An enterprise version - more memory and BlackBerry functionality.

Have Palm1 realised that they have to appeal to a wider market by offering a range of phones?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    I am with Treominator.... for those who already have a 600, I would list out the pros of the new 650 against the selling price. Is it really worth it? Always ask yourself this simple question when buying anything...."do you need it or do you want it?". The latter one usually wins when there is no self control. What happens when PalmOne puts out another model out in the new year with WiFi? Some manufactures will put out 2 new models per year. Will you shell out another 600.00US? For those who doesn't have a 600 yet, look at the pros and cons of buying a 600 (reduced price) and 650 (msrp).
    many of us (around %50 so far) have decided that the 650 is worth the price of $600. and if we can get it for $350, it is a no brainer.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast