Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know Sprint will be the first carrier sometime in Nov, and we've heard the bad news that other carriers will likely wait until next year. But has anyone heard/seen info about when palmOne or others (eXpansys, etc.) might have the unlocked GSM model? Pricey, I know, but I prefer to buy them this way, plus I'm currently on T-Mobile and considering a switch to AT&T to get EDGE service.

I did call my local palmOne store, and they said bluntly, "We have no release date for in-store sales".
    next year
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    next year
    Really? Where'd you hear that? Or is this a (calculated) guess?
    sprint is said to have a lock on the treo 650 for the rest of the year (2 months).

but, att said they will offer it in december.

no other carriers have chimed in.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The Treo 650 launch appears to mirror the Treo 600 launch w.r.t. release dates and carrier choices
    I think I would use last year as a good approximate for things to come.
    I have detailed files.
    Stupid question. Want an unlocked GSM Treo 650? Why not order one online from a European or Australian site when it is released in these countries? Saves having to hack them and prices might be cheaper when taking exchange rates into account. You won't even have to worry about the charger being compatible with US 110 volts, as the one charger is handles 110 or 240 volts.
    Just an idea. Might be worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiewavalley
    Stupid question. Want an unlocked GSM Treo 650? Why not order one online from a European or Australian site when it is released in these countries? Saves having to hack them and prices might be cheaper when taking exchange rates into account. You won't even have to worry about the charger being compatible with US 110 volts, as the one charger is handles 110 or 240 volts.

For some reason "Stupid Question" and "Might be worth a try" don't seem to mesh in this post.
    I have detailed files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    For some reason "Stupid Question" and "Might be worth a try" don't seem to mesh in this post.
    Sorry mate! Excuse me for trying to help.
    Last edited by kiewavalley; 10/26/2004 at 11:23 PM.
    The Treo 650 launch appears to mirror the Treo 600 launch w.r.t. release dates and carrier choices
    I think I would use last year as a good approximate for things to come.
    Can you explain how it happened last year? Did the AT&T release lang behind 2 or months behind Sprint?
    If I remember correctly, the pecking order was Sprint(late October), Cingular,(Early Nov) TMobile (Late Nov), ATT(Dec?), General Unlocked GSM (Late Dec?)

However, with the Cingular takeover of ATT Wireless official today, you may not have have to wait that long (for ATT)
    I have detailed files.
    Thats what I'd like to know too. How long before was the cdma treo 600 out before P1 sold the unlocked treo 600 or did the cdma and gsm 600 come out at the same time? My phone is practically useless right now and I need a new phone/pda. I dont feel like paying full retail for a phone from verizon.They are so expensive. I want to terminate my contract with them and go to a gsm carrier. They better hurry up and release the 650 soon or I'll go crazy looking at this site
    . . . General Unlocked GSM (Late Dec?) . .
    And probably a year before an international version is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC RYDAH
    Thats what I'd like to know too. How long before was the cdma treo 600 out before P1 sold the unlocked treo 600 or did the cdma and gsm 600 come out at the same time? My phone is practically useless right now and I need a new phone/pda. I dont feel like paying full retail for a phone from verizon.They are so expensive. I want to terminate my contract with them and go to a gsm carrier. They better hurry up and release the 650 soon or I'll go crazy looking at this site
    If I remember correctly, the GSM version came out first. But I may not remember correctly, it was very close.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiewavalley
    I'd love to, if they happen to get the phone before palmOne offers it (that's why I mentioned eXpansys). I've bought all my phones from eXpansys in the past, actually. The exchange rates don't help that much, so I think timing will be the factor. I'd guess that palmOne will have it first, but I'm trying to get a guesstimate on when an unlocked GSM model will be available anyplace, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Can you explain how it happened last year? Did the AT&T release lang behind 2 or months behind Sprint?
    The carrier which subsidized the Treo 650 the most will get it first… that’s how it worked the last time around. Sprint is the one, it seems.

Without heavy subsidizing from the carriers, Palm would not have been able to create the Treo 600.
    If I remember correctly, the pecking order was Sprint(late October), Cingular,(Early Nov) TMobile (Late Nov), ATT(Dec?), General Unlocked GSM (Late Dec?)

However, with the Cingular takeover of ATT Wireless official today, you may not have have to wait that long (for ATT)
    Actually T-Mobile came in a very distant last to the rest. Closer to March of this year.
    I purchased my wife's Treo 600 within 10-20th November from Germany.
    It is Generic GSM version with no Carrier locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by [ls]
    i wouldn't want to hold to expansys's date, they're always late
    kiewavalley,

Do you have any information about release dates in Australia?

Which Australian outlets are likely to have the first stocks?

Regards
    Peter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast