Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 262
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Don't worry.

    This is all a big scam.

    ViennaChannels is some two-bit marketing company, ill-prepared for this event.

    Unreponsive to communication....no SSL up until someone told them...just reeks of amatuer hour.

    All "confirmations" were just bot replies.

    No one will get thier units until way after Sprint releases it. And the ones you get will be DEMOS. They claim if you order it, it will be new, but this is a PalmOne scam. They want to send out the demos first...then send the retunred ones back to fulfill "new" orders.

    So, $349 gets you a USED device. (Still a good price, but misleading.) How many thousands of "refurb" Treo 600s went out, only to cause more problems?

    What a blatant scam....which we are all to willing to gulp down.

    Shame on you PalmOne....you'd think after all the miscues in the Treo 650, you'd at least get the luanch right, and not eff over your base, once again.
    Just wondering upon what information you base your belief that they will be sending out demos. I was going to order one after the Dallas show, but may not if you have info.

    thanks
  2. #102  
    Go back and read the FAQ. The trial units may be used, but all the units sold are new. I expect that the replies were cut and paste- not automated. When you're dealing -with 3 to 400 transactions over a 3 week period it doesn't make sense to try to create a sophisticated custom application.
    In another way you are probably right the ViennaChannels is a small well connected marketing company that got the gig to coordinate with PalmOne partners for trials of enterprise software.
    Did you go to the show? I thought it was very competently pulled off. I've been in high-tech (computer and software) sales for 28 years and thought it was at least on par with any regional events I've attended (including Microsofts)
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Just wondering upon what information you base your belief that they will be sending out demos. I was going to order one after the Dallas show, but may not if you have info.

    thanks

    I have no info, other than experience.....this isn't be run very well, and I bet the strategy is to get the demo units out there first....more people will go for a free demo than plop 349 down in advance.

    Many people will keep the phone and pay the money....an easier sale.

    Those that come back? Well, just wipe them off and send them out to the suckers that put in a new order for $349.

    The lack of communication from VC, plus the lack of confrimation on order, is very suspect. I bet the order of release will be:

    PalmOne web site for sale, full price
    Sprint Web site for sale, full price
    Demo units sent out from VC (backlogged)
    XYZ carrier for sale, full price
    "early order" from VC, $350 (backlogged, used Demos sent out)

    Do what you like....I took time off work, went to the roadshow, did the survey, got the coupon, and still can't get a confirmed order. Very lame.

    And I've gotten some emails and PM that I'm not the only one...
  4. #104  
    I hate to say it, but does anyone think that the Roadshow people are going to get their device early? I seriously doubt it. The paperwork and bureaucracy alone will probably hold up those shipments long after the phones reach other stores. Case in point, the T-Mobile web site had a similar thing for the iPaq 6315. Sign up on their web site and "get your iPaq before anybody else". Needless to say, I had mine from CompUSA 10 days before I finally got their email announcing how to get the 6315

    The bottom line is, if you want to get a device as quick as possible, watch the P1 web site, celluar provider's stores and retail stores (CompUSA, Best Buy etc). Odds are, one of those guys are going to get the phone before the others. Again, another example, the Motorola V710. Radio Shack had them two weeks before "exclusive" carrier Verizon did.

    Don't be so quick to commit to putting down your money early. Stay flexible IMO. The phone will probably show up first in the last place you'd suspect
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimetechie
    Go back and read the FAQ. The trial units may be used, but all the units sold are new. I expect that the replies were cut and paste- not automated. When you're dealing -with 3 to 400 transactions over a 3 week period it doesn't make sense to try to create a sophisticated custom application.
    In another way you are probably right the ViennaChannels is a small well connected marketing company that got the gig to coordinate with PalmOne partners for trials of enterprise software.
    Did you go to the show? I thought it was very competently pulled off. I've been in high-tech (computer and software) sales for 28 years and thought it was at least on par with any regional events I've attended (including Microsofts)
    I read the FAQ...not work the pixels it's written on.

    Sophicated app? They built it with Frontpage for crying out loud!

    Granted, the order replies could be cut and paste...I may be giving them too much credit that it was a bot.

    Yes I went to the show. It was okay. Nothing to write home about; I'd say about average. (I've been in the industry for almost 20, and been to more of these that I would care to admit). Using MS as a benchmark; most (not all) of there events, especially over the past few years, completely suck (I miss the ones from the mid 90's). This is much better than that, I'll give you that, but the bar wasn't that high.

    It's all about execution! Show the product, then get the money. FAST. These guys should have been SELLING the device on the spot. Do you know how much they would have sold? Thousands. And the furture roadshow buzz would have been ENORMOUS. But alas no, and this is why PalmOne sales and marketing is lead by a tardanic team.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    I hate to say it, but does anyone think that the Roadshow people are going to get their device early? I seriously doubt it. The paperwork and bureaucracy alone will probably hold up those shipments long after the phones reach other stores. Case in point, the T-Mobile web site had a similar thing for the iPaq 6315. Sign up on their web site and "get your iPaq before anybody else". Needless to say, I had mine from CompUSA 10 days before I finally got their email announcing how to get the 6315

    The bottom line is, if you want to get a device as quick as possible, watch the P1 web site, celluar provider's stores and retail stores (CompUSA, Best Buy etc). Odds are, one of those guys are going to get the phone before the others. Again, another example, the Motorola V710. Radio Shack had them two weeks before "exclusive" carrier Verizon did.

    Don't be so quick to commit to putting down your money early. Stay flexible IMO. The phone will probably show up first in the last place you'd suspect
    Preach on brother Dale.

    I think we are right.
  7. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It's all about execution! Show the product, then get the money. FAST. These guys should have been SELLING the device on the spot. Do you know how much they would have sold? Thousands. And the furture roadshow buzz would have been ENORMOUS. But alas no, and this is why PalmOne sales and marketing is lead by a tardanic team.
    Agreed... ideally this would be the killer strategy. Build an exclusive event with unprecedented access to the first units off the assembly line. Let the enthusiasts get early access and build the buzz. True enthusiasts would be flying in from all over the world to get access to such an event. There is nothing quite like a dozen co-workers jealously eyeing your latest toy and itching to get their own.
  8. #108  
    Mike,
    What is Tardanic? Wanting to build my vocabulary, I tried looking it up without success so I turned to google. Aside from email address starting tardanic@&&&, the only other reference was another post in TC:

    "You guys can continue with your 1.1 vs. 1.2 discussion, but I just wanted to say that when you use the palmOne WiFi card, you need to turn off BT. It's a requirement.

    You can now continue with your discussion .

    Maybe that is the case, but it's completely tardanic.

    Am I supposed to turn off wi-fi on my PC and home network to use the BT headset? GIAFB.

    I could care less about a POS SDIO Wi-Fi card...I just want to be able to use a BT headset at home/office/hotspots."
  9. #109  
    Just talked to the guy. He seemed quite clueless about most things associated with the 650. However, what he did seem sure of was that he would get his 650's to mail out AFTER Sprint PCS or the other carriers get theirs to send out.

    So to those of you thinking that you are going to get the unit early by going through the roadshow codes, you are mistaken. You might get it cheaper (and the VC guy was touting this), but then again, it might be a used unit.
    StevenB
  10. #110  
    First of all, this roadshow is put on by Palmone through ViennaChannel aimed at businesses. It doesn't make sense that it's a scam. Why would they screw the very people they are trying to get this phone out to?
    Secondly, they stated that it will be new units, they can't give you a used unit.
    Third, it's $250 less than the phone is reportedly going to sell elsewhere, if it really is going to get shipped that much later than Palmone or other retail vendors and I care I can just buy it from there, then when I get the unit from the roadshow ebay it and make my money (probably more) back.

    I think tardanic is his nick or something.
    Last edited by Primate; 11/01/2004 at 01:19 PM.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenB
    Just talked to the guy. He seemed quite clueless about most things associated with the 650. However, what he did seem sure of was that he would get his 650's to mail out AFTER Sprint PCS or the other carriers get theirs to send out.

    So to those of you thinking that you are going to get the unit early by going through the roadshow codes, you are mistaken. You might get it cheaper (and the VC guy was touting this), but then again, it might be a used unit.
    Another supporting comment from SteveyB....the group is growing...
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimetechie
    Mike,
    What is Tardanic? Wanting to build my vocabulary, I tried looking it up without success so I turned to google. Aside from email address starting tardanic@&&&, the only other reference was another post in TC:

    "You guys can continue with your 1.1 vs. 1.2 discussion, but I just wanted to say that when you use the palmOne WiFi card, you need to turn off BT. It's a requirement.

    You can now continue with your discussion .

    Maybe that is the case, but it's completely tardanic.

    Am I supposed to turn off wi-fi on my PC and home network to use the BT headset? GIAFB.

    I could care less about a POS SDIO Wi-Fi card...I just want to be able to use a BT headset at home/office/hotspots."

    Tardanic is a word that I created. (Copyright 2004, Mikec).

    I was at a loss to descibe the complete idiocy of certain behavior, so I made it up.

    It comes from "retard" + "titanic". Using the deragotary slang definition of "retard", meaning stupid, and "titanic" meaning enormous. It nicely uses the d, which can be pronounced as "d" or a "t".

    Add them together and your get tardanic. It's a little more punchy than "mega-stupid".
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    First of all, this roadshow is put on by Palmone through ViennaChannel aimed at businesses. It doesn't make sense that it's a scam. Why would they screw the very people they are trying to get this phone out to?
    Secondly, they stated that it will be new units, they can't give you a used unit.
    Third, it's $250 less than the phone is reportadly going to sell elsewhere, if it really is going to get shipped that much later than Palmone or other retail vendors and I care I can just buy it from there, then when I get the unit from the roadshow ebay it and make my money (probably more) back.

    I think tardanic is his nick or something.
    Not my nickname, but I'm sure someone will take it as a screen name.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Not my nickname, but I'm sure someone will take it as a screen name.
    Because people are dying to be known as a titanic retard.
  15. #115  
    what happened to the viennachannels website???
  16. #116  
    Hi.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    what happened to the viennachannels website???

    Gone like the wind....to the grave of those that thought "frontpage for dummies" would lead to a professional site.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardanic
    Hi.
    And it only took a few minutes....there's never an egg timer around when you need it.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon
    Because people are dying to be known as a titanic retard.

    By the looks of it, I'd say yes.
  20. #120  
    Site's working for me. But I already posted somewhere else that I'll be surprised if they have their stuff together to get these out even remotely "on time." But hey, if you want that discount it's wortha few extra weeks. Too bad Palm can't get their sh*t together. It's very close to PDA2K time for me.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions