View Poll Results: Do you think the next Treo (700?) will have integrated Wi-Fi?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup, integrated Wi-Fi is comin' in the next year.

35 60.34%
  • Nope, P1 is going to keep putting Wi-Fi off.

23 39.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just curious how many people think that the next Treo (700?) will have Wi-Fi integrated. I'm starting to think that P1 left out Wi-Fi out of the Treo 650 on purpose so they can bring it out on the next version as an "upgraded" addition to the "family of Treos" that we all keep reading about. I'm guessing that P1 is banking on a bunch of us purchasing the 650 and then announcing that they will be bringing out a Wi-Fi version early in 2005 so we can buy that one too. I absolutely love my Treo 600, but I'm in as much disbelief that P1 didn't include Wi-Fi on the 650 as when I found out that Handspring only was going to have a 160 x 160 screen on the 600. I'm saving my money for now... you know integrated Wi-Fi is on the way in the near future.
    Why do you care so much about Wi-Fi when EVDO would be a better feature to have? Wi-Fi is only good if you are near a hot spot and would cost money if you're at a place like a T-Mobile Hot Spot. EVDO would give you high speed Internet all over your coverage area for the same price you're paying for data right now.

Maybe we should give up the quest for Wi-Fi and ask instead for Wi-Max.
    I agree with the guy above.... wtf is the big deal about wifi. Are you people downloading movies or warez on these things or something? Do I need to surf at 11 megabit when standing on line to get my coffee?

If i'm at my office or home on a wireless network, I'd much rather use a full screen computer or laptop instead of a tiny 2 inch thing and mini keyboard.. It's not like wifi is everywhere.. At least it isn't in New York.?!
    Last edited by Joebar; 10/26/2004 at 09:39 PM.
    wifi? get a centrino
    Wifi is a killer app. Regardless of what any of you guys say. First off, not everyone lives in the states, meaning not everyone is going to have ev-do access. 2 We have no pricing on ev-do as of yet. If it is $49.99 for example than not everyone is going to move towards it right away. 3. CURRENT STATE OF THE ART PDA PHONES HAVE IT!

The treo 650 continues the lines history of introducing new devices that are lacking a key feature that keeps it from being state of the art. Great devices, but not state of the art. As the industry continues to grow and become increasingly competative than these "lacks" become more and more hard to overcome. The treo 300 was a no brianer, the 600 was a little dissapointing but still the clear choice, the 650 is hardly competing.

2c
    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Wifi is not completely useless for every user. Some cities have free hotspots and the ability to both save data usage charges and surf faster by switching to wifi might be useful for some. For others with wifi at home, checking a quick fact on the net or sending a quick email is a lot easier with an always-on device like the treo (which can sit on the coffee table,) than it is with a laptop that may take forever to boot, or worse a desktop tucked away in a home office.

Regardless it seems more and more phones offer wifi and from what I've seen a lot of users want this feature so PalmOne is going to have address the growing feature gap between PocketPC phones and Treos before PocketPC devices address the form factor gap (Benq P50) or P1 will face a continual erosion of marketshare. The fact that Blackberry recently announced a wifi device is a good indication that the market wants wifi.

I would say the Treo 700 should have 128mb, wifi, 1.3 mp camera in order to remain competitive, not mention address the 3 most common complaints about the 650. (More bundled software wouldn't hurt.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    [QUOTE=Boobookins]
    Regardless it seems more and more phones offer wifi and from what I've seen a lot of users want this feature so PalmOne is going to have address the growing feature gap between PocketPC phones and Treos before PocketPC devices address the form factor gap (Benq P50) or P1 will face a continual erosion of marketshare. QUOTE]

Well said!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Most universities are very wired(-less) up. I find myself in 802.11b coverage about 90% of the time during the day. Harvard, BU, MIT.... list goes on...
    Unlimited data plans for GPRS are very expensive in some parts of the world, like here in Canada.

Having WiFi access would make it possible for some folks to not have to pay those exhorbitant rates. The savings would quickly outstrip the costs associated with the extra hardware, even an extra battery or two if that proved necessary.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaws
    Most universities are very wired(-less) up. I find myself in 802.11b coverage about 90% of the time during the day. Harvard, BU, MIT.... list goes on...
    Well I find myself out of wifi coverage 99% of the time. Miami, tangas, bikinis, silicone, silicone.
    I would rather use WiFi to sync and access my local PC/Network. While mobile, EVDO might be nice.
    I have 802.11 at home and my office. I think it would be great! Since it isn't going to happen anythime soon I'm willing to invest in some type of bluetooth solution. Is there one that will work? Isn't bluetooth a viable solution? I've never used it? What are the drawbacks? Do you really have to be in the same room or are there solutions to extend it a little further?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    Why do you care so much about Wi-Fi when EVDO would be a better feature to have? Wi-Fi is only good if you are near a hot spot and would cost money if you're at a place like a T-Mobile Hot Spot. EVDO would give you high speed Internet all over your coverage area for the same price you're paying for data right now.

Maybe we should give up the quest for Wi-Fi and ask instead for Wi-Max.
    Wi-Fi is great in the kind of enterprise solutions that Sprint is selling to its commercial customers. On-site, both data and voice are carried through the private network with the lowest cost. Off-site, voice and data are carried over CDMA (and EV(entually)-DO). I am sure that Sprint has discussed this market with P1. Since they have missed the window, one might assume they have decided not to pursue it.

Wi-FI may be great in markets where hotspots are ubiquitous and CDMA and GSM data rates are high when compared to hot spots. While some writing here seem to be in such markets, with the exception of a few cities, the US is certainly not such a market. While lots of hotels, airports, and cafes offer service for a fee, hot spots are sparse and proprietary. Manhattan is well covered but only for Verizon wired Internet customers.

Most hot spot rates are still very high. In T-Mo sites I pay $0.10 per connect minute, usually 30-60 minutes at a time, but in Wayport and Concourse sites I have paid as much as $13.00 per day, often using as little as half an hour. I have spent more on hotspots in the last heavy travel month than my T-Mobile unlimited voice and data plan bill. Of course, that was for my PC and did include some voice. On the other hand, I have also used Treo/PDANet/T-mo/GPRS to connect my PC to avoid paying for a day of Wi-Fi when I could only use half an hour.

I expect to be able to buy a month of Wi-Fi for $20 with universal roaming but I think that it is still a few years out.

In my suburban apartment my T-Mo coverage is marginal. It might be nice to be able to use my home Wi-Fi network and cable ISP. However, absent a VoIP application for my Treo, it would work only for data. On the other hand, both voice and data work well over Wi-Fi from my PC.

What application and environment am I missing?
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/27/2004 at 08:27 AM.
    hotsyncing with the speeds of wifi would be great...

And maybe using terminal services as well? All from your bed or living room.

I love the idea of wifi but I'd never use a hotspot.
    I currently use a T3 and T68i. WiFi would be great since I have WiFi access at both home and work. GPRS rates are still very high in Australia. I have good voice rates, but GPRS costs 2.2cents/k with a 22 cent connection fee. This is too high. It costs me $4 or $5 just to connect for 15-20 minutes to check my email or a web page. I can get a better data rate elsewhere but I will not get a good voice rate. My phone plan is through my employer and I get corporate rates, good for voice but not for data.

My options are to stick with my T3 (which I still love BTW) or to get the Treo 650 when it becomes available here (estimated in Jan 05). I think that I want (not need) the Treo 650.....and that makes it hard. I am probably better off waiting for the next Treo release to see what is offered then. I am hoping for a min of 64MB (since 32MB is less than my T3) and OS 6.1.....I am also hoping for WiFi, but I don't think that it will be in the next Treo....but I do think that it will be in the Palm T6 (or T7 if they skip the 6).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yautja_cetanu
    hotsyncing with the speeds of wifi would be great...

And maybe using terminal services as well? All from your bed or living room.

I love the idea of wifi but I'd never use a hotspot.
    It depends upon the application. I cannot imagine using a hotspot for my Treo but I do use them for my PC. I do use my Treo to avoid paying hot spot rates.
  17.    #17  
    People have talked about EVDO and EDGE... are these the same thing or are they completely different?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjensen
    People have talked about EVDO and EDGE... are these the same thing or are they completely different?
    Not quite, but close. They are 2.5G data technology for CDMA and GSM. It is not clear which will be broadest, fastest, or earliest. However, it seems likely that Sprint will maintain its lead. (I understand that AT&T has deployed EDGE in a few big cities but the speeds achieved are not much faster than the current generation of Sprint's CDMA.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/27/2004 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    I agree with the guy above.... wtf is the big deal about wifi. Are you people downloading movies or warez on these things or something? Do I need to surf at 11 megabit when standing on line to get my coffee?

If i'm at my office or home on a wireless network, I'd much rather use a full screen computer or laptop instead of a tiny 2 inch thing and mini keyboard.. It's not like wifi is everywhere.. At least it isn't in New York.?!
    Yay-yah!
    Pennsylvania & San Francisco already have plans to wi-fi their entire city. Even major cities are beginning to see the importance of wi-fi.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast