Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Don't know if this has already been addressed, but I found this article on cnet.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5791
    I think the article is right on. It's a joke that Sprint wants us to pay for a card, monthly service for the card and sign a contract. You can add a second phone to your account, but they want a new account, and a new contract for data. WHAT A JOKE! I don't even think it's Mac Compatiable...
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I can see how some (many) people would be upset about the crippled bluetooth on the T650, but I find it to be a positive (mostly). For me, having unlimited handset data at $10/month (or even $15) is worth far more to me than using my phone as a bluetooth modem with unlimited data plans costing 4-6 times that. I'll admit that I do "cheat" using my A500 and a USB cable when I'm travelling, but I'm willing to give that up when I move to the T650 because it can do most of the internet functions of my laptop anyway.

I know that many will disagree with my opinions and support the article, but I wonder just how much people will pay to have unlimited data while using the T650 as a modem. $60? $80? I'll stick with $10 and deal with it for now. Besides, didn't SPCS say somewhere that they'll enable the modem functionality at a later time with per MB plans?
    aetherion, you make a great point that no one here wants to think about. They want to have their cake and eat it, too. I posed this question a couple of weeks ago. Would you rather have uncrippled Bluetooth if it also meant that the Treo 650 came with a "special" unlimited data plan that cost over $40/month? It would be nice if Sprint could add dial-up functionality for BT tethering for people who need it and are willing to pay for it, but if not, I'd rather have it crippled BT and the cheaper price plan.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    personally I think you are just all stupidly whining....

In england it costs 3 pounds per MB, thats about $5 for each MB. It costs $150/month to get an unlimited data plan where you can't go over 1GB...

And you are whining about $10/month unlimited data plan not allowing you to use bluetooth as a modem (can't you just use the USB cable again??)....

You're all crappy whiny girls....

Is this post serious or do you detect sour grapes anywhere??? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Yautja_cetanu

In england it costs 3 pounds per MB, thats about $5 for each MB. It costs $150/month to get an unlimited data plan where you can't go over 1GB...

And you are whining about $10/month unlimited data plan not allowing you to use bluetooth as a modem (can't you just use the USB cable again??)....

Seriously.

Either pay up or don't do what you're not supposed to. And for the people that say they would pay the $80/mo for DUN capability on the 650; I'd be willing to be that if Sprint implemented some sort of password-protect feature that would require you to enter a network-set password monthly that gets e-mailed to you as long as you're paying the $80 monthly fee, 80% of those who are complaining, wouldn't pay.

-M-

Exactly. Am I missing something or does this boil down to people complaining about having to use a cable in order use the phone as modem.

Or is it the principle of thing i.e. Sprint crippling bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    As far as I'm concerned, crippling Bluetooth is unnecessary. Create a consistent data plan, and let the user select a tier that is appropriate for their usage and budget. Price unlimited properly -- make it high enough to make it impractical to squat a channel 24/7, but make it low enough that people will still pay IF THEY NEED IT. $80/mo is totally reasonable for the equivalent of always on wireless broadband in my opinion.
    Are we saying the price is too low? This thread is not making sense (along with the article). He says he loved PDANet but is switching because he can't use bluetooth to get online. Why doesn't he keep using PDANet?
    BAD BOY Sprint.

Go with another carrier. I am being dictated which phone to buy and on top of that they decide the features it will have. ENOUGH!

Sounds like you're with Vodafone or worse; I'm paying 80p per Mb on Orange. Coverage in my lounge is a bit spotty, though.
    [QUOTE=Yautja_cetanu]

Funny, Verizon here charges the same amount for their limited usage plan. $25 = 5 MB but they do have unlimited for $45
    This is the exact reason I went with T-Mobile. Yes, I have to pay $20 per month for unlimited data (only $5 more than Sprint) and GPRS is slower than PCS Vision but I specifically asked if I could use my Treo as a modem for a laptop and they said they had no problem with that. I've read on this board that if Sprint catches you using PDANet then they charge you up the ying/yang and shut off your vision service. I'd rather have the convenience (and piece of mind) that I can use the data services as much as I want. T-Mobile's data is truly "unlimited" where sprint's isn't. I guess I'm lucky that here in Utah, T-Mobile's coverage is just as good as Sprint's.
    Can you hook the 650 up with a USB cable and use it as a modem?
    I would prefer to pay the lowest possible price for the internet on my phone. If enabling the DUN allows people to use the unlimited internet to the point where everyone has to pay higher prices then I lose. It's not like Sprint hasn't said from the beginning that using the phone as a modem is against their rules.
    If some would like a different plan we now have number portability and multiple providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Are we saying the price is too low? This thread is not making sense (along with the article). He says he loved PDANet but is switching because he can't use bluetooth to get online. Why doesn't he keep using PDANet?

Keep reading, PDANet is not mac Compatible.
    Sprint really has 3 problems. First, their coverage outside of cities is terrible, and they haven't taken the initiative add data roaming so you could still get data when in Verizon country. The second problem - the one addressed here - is that they offer plans they can't really sustain, so they add crazy restrictions. "Unlimited data" on a PDA really means "as much e-mail as we think you could write in a month." If they were just up front and actually labelled their $15 "unlimited" plan as 15 MB or so, that would be fine, and we could just pay a reasonable premium for real unlimited access ($50 total would be competitive).

The reason they don't do this is their third problem: they treat customers like idiots. In fact, to make an insensitive generalization, Sprint employs some of the dumbest customer relations people I've ever had to deal with. Something as simple as setting up automatic payment involves multiple phone calls. A call to Sprint about a Sprint-supplied piece of software not working ended with them re-charging me for it, then sending the same broken version.

Frankly, if Verizon would get their damn act together (GSM coverage is nonexistant aroundhere), I would gladly pay more for a VZW T650, and hopefully VZW would be smart enough to sell a real unlimited plan.

(Yeah, I know, getting Verizon to sell an uncrippled ANYTHING might be hard, but I can dream)
    Has it already been mentioned that a PCS connection card from Sprint is allocated more timeslots and will be markedly faster than using a T650 via Bluetooth anyway? Handsets are not given the same number of timeslots, so their data rates are inherently slower than their connection card counterparts.

This is certainly not a "deal breaker" for me. I've got high speed at home, WiFi on the road (and there is almost always an unsecured network or a HotSpot to tap into). I guess I find it really hard to believe that there is a distinct "need" to use the Treo as a wireless modem given the availalability of other (superior) technolgies?

As long as my Vision plan is $15 unlimited for the Treo, I'll be happy.
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock
    Keep reading, PDANet is not mac Compatible.
    So, how would a Mac User, no pun intended, use their Treo to connect their laptop to the Internet. Right now, I have T-Mobile with an expired contract and am willing to change carriers. I don't have a Treo 600 or 650, but I need one soon!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast