1.    #1  
    Need to hear from experienced 270 users...

I am not updated on the capabilities of this phone...

I have a repalcment 270 from tmobile...I have never used it except as a phone but my needs have changed. service plan is month to month so I can look for a sweeter deal..
    I have a mac running 0sx
    how much will it cost me/m to actually do email and web on this?

Real life cost for service?

Real life cost for software? email, web, attachments, can you sync with entoutage 2004 for mac?

Must haves?

also
    The phone handset volume is very low and I have to use the speaker phone but it uses the battery very fast...any workarounds? Thanks.

all constructive comments, links, prices welcome

iZ
  2.    #2  
    Need to hear from experienced 270 users...
    I have a repalcment 270 from tmobile...I have never used it except as a phone but my needs have changed.

can it really still perform or should I upgrade?

i need a good phone
    email sending and recieving
    web browsing
    and sync with mac and office 2004

service plan is month to month so I can look for a sweeter deal if need be.
    I have a mac running 0sx
    how much will it cost me/m to actually do email and web on this?

Real life cost for software? email, web, attachments, can you sync with entourage 2004 for mac?

all constructive comments, links, prices welcome

iZ
    Hello iZ,

Kevin from palmOne here. I'm certain many members will have more specific answers on costs, etc. But for starters you can find answers to many of your questions at http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo270/
    The "Treo 270 Interactive Tutorial" link on the right-side of this page will also give you a quick rundown of all features of the Treo 270.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    I'm beginning my third year with my 270. I can't be of help with any Mac matters, but I still use the 270 every weekday. I need access to my Comcast POP account and have been using SnapperMail. It's not push mail but it's next best: I have it set to check my Comcast account every 30 minutes and the 270 alerts me when I have mail. The keyboard allows me to send out a response easily. I use the Blazer or Eudora browsers throughout the day to keep up with various things. I sync with Outlook 2002 every day -mostly to back up the 270, and of course the bundled (so-so) apps. About the only other extras I use are a reader called CSpotRun and a Tetris clone called Blocks.

I've been with T-Mobile since I got the Treo and have gotten good service or support. I pay $29.95 for 300 minutes + nights and weekends and $19.95 for unlimited data. (I don't need unlimited -I could do with <5 mb, but T-M doesn't offer less.) SnapperMail is about $50 (with SplashPhoto) and the other programs are free.

I've been wanting to move away from Palm because I'm tired of this OS and the fragmented, expensive, and relatively lame software scene. But, so far nothing I've tried has been sufficiently better all around than my trusty 270.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5.    #5  
    Thank so much for all the help. I have read the entire tutorial!.. I have GPRS but it is not activated figured I just need CSD for now.. but have never gotten CSD or GPRS to work...EVER!

3 problems

1) there is no email in CSD or GPRS I have ameritech.net as an ISP
    and t mobile as provider...and I have followed the tutorials but nothing works and it times out every time. Any one know for sure what those settings should be? I''ll try one more time...
    2) the speaker phone uses up the battery in 30 min! did a soft reset. how do I tell if the battery is any good?

3) there is no voice mail icon to tell me I have voice mail like the tutorial...
    none.

Thanks!

iZ
  6.    #6  
    Also... what email client do you use besides one touch that actually works.

and where can I get some cool free ringtones that work with the 270? thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Thank so much for all the help. I have read the entire palm site tutorial!.. I have GPRS but it is not activated figured I just need CSD for now.. but have never gotten CSD or GPRS to work...EVER!

3 problems

and t mobile as provider...and I have followed the tutorials but nothing works and it times out every time. Any one know for sure what those settings should be? I''ll try one more time...

2) the speaker phone uses up the battery in 30 min! did a soft reset. how do I tell if the battery is any good?

3) there is no voice mail icon to tell me I have voice mail like the tutorial...
    none.

4) where can I get some cool free ringtones for the 270?

Thanks!

iZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    Thank so much for all the help. I have read the entire tutorial!.. I have GPRS but it is not activated figured I just need CSD for now.. but have never gotten CSD or GPRS to work...EVER!

3 problems

none.

Thanks!

iZ
    First, you need to contact T-Mobile; they've always been very helpful. They want you to be happy and keep sending them a check every month. GPRS is fundamental and they'll help you cut through a lot of your questions and will advise you given the plan you have. You probably need a GPRS update.

Second, I've never noticed how the speaker uses the battery as I mostly use the earpiece, but you'll want to be sure your battery works the way you need it to before you investment more time and money on this.

You only get SMS alerts for voicemails -no icons unfortunately. BTW, in my experience, these alerts work only relatively well -often not timely. I just have VM set as my first quickdial and hit the jog wheel regularly or as needed.

Finally, I use SnapperMail and and that works very well for me. I have it set to check my Comcast POP account every 30 minutes on weekdays and it alerts me whenever I have mail asking me whether I want to read it. I can then hit reply, hit send and it's gone. You can set it to send and receive as frequently as every 5 minutes or you can click it manually any time. Check it out here: http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/email/features.cfm It works very much like Outlook on my desktop. They have a loaded trial version; it'll cost you $25-60 if you like it.

Again, call T-M and test your battery to *your* satisfaction. Good luck.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.