View Poll Results: As one who never had a Treo, will you buy 650?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am happy enough with current configuration

103 88.79%
  • No, I will rather buy 600 for less

4 3.45%
  • No, I will wait for the next Treo

5 4.31%
  • No, I am done with Treos and will look elsewhere

4 3.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Although I see some missed opportunities in 650, I'm surprised to see so much criticism, so different from pre-announcement posts here. You can't expect gigantic steps between each model. Look at software development.

To me, who never had a Treo and was about to buy 600, 650 definitely looks better. And I know that the next model, which I won't wait for, may quite as well be a major upgrade, yet it'll be too soon for me to buy it, as you may think about 650 now.

Let me ask those who never had a Treo but wanted one, about their plans for 650.
    Ed
    zorz.net
    Palm III > Palm V > palm Vx > Palm m500 > Sony Clie SJ33 > Palm Treo 650
    I am 95% sure that the Treo 650 is the one for me.

I hope Verizon gets off their duff, & decides to carry this model in the near future. I personally don't care for SprintPCS as it doesn't work well where I need it too.

Otherwise, I may have to jump ship to Cingular now that the acq is completed. Till today, Cing had no native presence in my market...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I too was one that held off on the 600. The lack of removable battery, low res screen were the 2 major items for me. I am waiting for the 650 to make out on Cingular as that is the carrier my company has. I know I will have to buy the phone myself (Cingular actually provides the handsets to us for free, but they are units that have been discontinued) but I will still jump on it and either use my current sim or get a "Fastforward" device and have my business calls forwarded to me.
    i will definitley buy it. I will compare it to the Siemens SX 66, but it looks like the Siemens is supposed to come out soon. The reason I might buy the Treo though, is that I am famaliar with the palm os
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorz
    Although I see some missed opportunities in 650, I'm surprised to see so much criticism, so different from pre-announcement posts here. You can't expect gigantic steps between each model. Look at software development.

To me, who never had a Treo and was about to buy 600, 650 definitely looks better. And I know that the next model, which I won't wait for, may quite as well be a major upgrade, yet it'll be too soon for me to buy it, as you may think about 650 now.

Let me ask those who never had a Treo but wanted one, about their plans for 650.
    Sure dude I would buy the 650 IF you didn't already have a 600. Many of us are just trying to justify an upgrade.
    Well I'm not a PalmOS fan myself so the OS isn't a selling point. In fact since its not a multithreaded OS I have growing issues picking up the device. Right now for my needs I'm having the damnest time finding a device that screams out 'yep I'm the one'.

The Treo 650 is definitely one that I'm seriously looking at and its good for Palm that the BenQP50 isn't around because that looks like the device I really want.

One thing that I see that is lacking is MIDP2.0 support on all of these devices and I need a device that can run applications that I'm writing - another sticking point for most of these devices.

The things that are important to me are EDGE, camera that can take reasonably good pictures, MIDP2.0 support, and a keypad. Many of the other features are a wash to me.
    I am waiting for my Treo 600 to arrive this week!! woohoo, I was fully aware that the Treo 650 was coming out with these specifications this Monday. It just wasn't worth waiting for, for T-Mobile. T-Mobile hasn't announced anything and who knows what price they will charge. Time is Money, guys. Plus the awesome price given by T-Mo Retentions finally sealed the deal.
    I'm coming from a Sony Clie NX70v and the Treo 650 is almost all that I need. Except for the long screen. This will be a great upgrade for me.

Al
    I don't have a Treo and have been wanting one for a long time. Treo 650 is definitly for me, after reading all the posts regarding how MUCH better the Treo 650 can be, I did some research. I looked even at PPC units, they may be supped up with memory and 1.3 mp cam and wifi plus bluetooth with phone and larger screen....but bottom line they are freakin UGLY!!! Form factor is very important for me and I love the form factor for the TREO 650. I will get it for sure!!! Does anyone know anything else out that is better? -- this will be my first Treo...I can't wait!!!
    I have never owned a Treo and was going to purchase a 600 until I started hearing the rumors about the 650. The 650 meets all of my needs for personal and business use, so I will be purchasing the 650 as my first Treo.
    I just came back from SF CTIA and from the P1 Roadshow. There is absolutly nothing that comes close to the Treo 650. Not even the Treo 600 which I have right now. Just look at the screen! The camera is actually not as bad as everybody says. It is not a 5 Megapixel camera but who takes vacation pix with a 1.3 MP camera on their phone??
    Yes! This will be my first Treo and first PDA. I found this forum rigbt after the 600 came out and after the reviews on the camera and screen resolution along with rumors of a "soon to be released" update caused me to hold off. Little did I know I would be holding off for a year. I cant actually fit it in my budget until Dec or Jan but I'm really looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaws
    I am waiting for my Treo 600 to arrive this week!! woohoo, I was fully aware that the Treo 650 was coming out with these specifications this Monday. It just wasn't worth waiting for, for T-Mobile. T-Mobile hasn't announced anything and who knows what price they will charge. Time is Money, guys. Plus the awesome price given by T-Mo Retentions finally sealed the deal.
    What price did you get from retentions? You can private message me if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChrigel
    I just came back from SF CTIA and from the P1 Roadshow. There is absolutly nothing that comes close to the Treo 650. Not even the Treo 600 which I have right now. Just look at the screen! The camera is actually not as bad as everybody says. It is not a 5 Megapixel camera but who takes vacation pix with a 1.3 MP camera on their phone??
    That's rarely the point. if it were, people wouldn't be using cameraphones at all. A cellular phone is the ONE device you're pretty much guaranteed to have with you 99.9% of the time. As such a camera on the phone is far more likely to be in a scenario when you want to have a camera, but don't have one around. I have A 3MP Olympics that I've owned for a few years now and the only time I have it with me is when I'm definitely going to take photos of something. But when I got into an accident and wanted to get some photos of the scene, guess what I had with me. When I was in the market for commercial real estate and I was on the other side of town and happened to be visiting a friend and saw something interesting, guess what I had with me. When my wife was out in the mall shopping for artwork and she wanted to send me some pictures of what she found, what was she supposed to do - cart a 3MP camera around with her?

The guys who insist that a low resolution camera on a phone is good because you have 20MP cameras at home completely miss the boat about the purpose of the camera on the phone in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorz
    I never regret buying any of the Treos I have owned. Even the clunky Visor phone I owned for three weeks was cool. Yes, maybe many of us prior owners are complaining but, that is because every new model prior has had huge improvements and had things that no other phones offered. Those of us forking out big bucks for minor changes is the gripe. Handpspring also gave prior owners decent upgrade discounts on the newer models, (without requiring a return of the old phone).

I guess the roadshow is offering a 650 for $349. If I get that discount, I may buy the 650 but I am in a quandry about Sprint being the only choice. I am tried and true Cingular and especially now that GSM is quad band and I am spending two months in Europe next summer, I may get the 50% Sprint and sell it on Ebay. Then use the money to but the GSM version in Jan. I suggest you get one, my Treo is one of my useful tools.
    I originally had a tungsten t (old school babee) but after using for 2 months, I saw that i could sell it online for a decent enough of a mark up. I switched to the Dell Axim X5 (old school babee) and I've been using for about a year and a half now. It works well enough for me, but I'd really like an all-in-one deal. I actually bought the sidekick2 when it came out but upon realization that it was just a toy for kids, i returned it within the 2 weeks for a full refund. It was at that time (2 months ago) that I learned about the treo 600. I was about to buy it with my $150 Sprint credit but the rep told me to hold off for the 650. So in short, HELL yes i'm buying the 650!

On a side note, I personally prefer the palm OS compared to the PPC OS. Granted you can do a lot more w/ the PPC, but the simplicity of the Palm OS is what's bringing me back!

On yet another side note, I can totally understand why many of you here at TC are having such a hard time justifying an upgrade. My friend has had a 600 for almost a year now and he probably will be upgrading (with many reservations) but it really doesn't offer THAT much of an upgrade (besides the screen, camera, and bluetooth) to warrent a I GOTTA HAVE IT NOWWW! response from most of you 600 owners
    Yes, I would make the 650 my first Treo purchase. I'm with Nextel right now and I miss my Kyo 7135 every day. Palm familiarity is a big feather in the Treo's cap.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I will be purchasing a Treo 650 by year's end.
    As soon as ATTWS / Cingular or VZW gets it - I'll have it!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    I've not owned a treo previously. I've gone back and forth on the 600, as I really like the form and the abilities of a PDA phone. But then there is the 600s horrible dependability. I know 5 people who have them, 2 gave up within 6 months, 2 jumped ship as soon as a year was up and 1 never had a single issue...ever.

I was set to buy a 600 when I discovered this forum and the the 650 rumblings a month or so ago and decided to wait. Now finally it is here and a lot fo the wind in my treo sails is gone due in large part to the grumblings of the experienced treo users on this board.

Wifi and memory were a big thing to me. Still though I look at the 650 and here is what I see.

1) the promise of much improved reliability over the 600.
    2) bluetooth
    3) resolution, which in truth is a very minor plus to me.
    4) it's still a PDA phone with a keyboard for a decent price.
    5) oh yes, price. with the sprint offer, I can pick up a 650 for roughly $420 in a few weeks. I can't do a great deal better on a sprint or verizon 600 new or used, and it is certainly better than 1000 bucks for a PDA2k.

The only other phones I see as comparable and interesting are the PDA2k which is just WAY too expensive, then the benq P50 and the MPx which are both still practically vaporware with no reasonable release date yet.

So yes, a 650 most likely will be my first treo, and my first smart phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast