1.    #1  
    For all you WiFi whiners out there, why do you really think WiFi is not available on the 600 or 650? Could it be that the carriers don't want to certify phones on their network that would allow people to circumvent they data plans or voice minutes with VoIP? No that can't be it. Sprint didn't make Palm cripple the Bluetooth support did they so it can't be used as a modem? Do any US based carriers even have a phone, or especially a smartphone that natively supports WiFi? I can't find one.

If WiFi is ever offered on a US carriers network (probably T-Mobile would be the most likely) do you not think they will cripple it to only work with their hotspots? Using the logic that a regular PPC or Palm device supports it so the smartphones should support it is complete crap. The carriers tell the manufacturers what they want, and don't want int the phone, and to limit features that they want limited. If a manufacturer could build the Swiss Army Knife of Phones and not worry about the carrier don't you think that it would be out?

Your only hope is aftermarket WiFi or running a non-certified phone on a network or a provider limiting to their WiFi only. Capitolism does not equal Utopianism.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    For all you WiFi whiners out there, why do you really think WiFi is not available on the 600 or 650? Could it be that the carriers don't want to certify phones on their network that would allow people to circumvent they data plans or voice minutes with VoIP? No that can't be it. Sprint didn't make Palm cripple the Bluetooth support did they so it can't be used as a modem? Do any US based carriers even have a phone, or especially a smartphone that natively supports WiFi? I can't find one.

If WiFi is ever offered on a US carriers network (probably T-Mobile would be the most likely) do you not think they will cripple it to only work with their hotspots? Using the logic that a regular PPC or Palm device supports it so the smartphones should support it is complete crap. The carriers tell the manufacturers what they want, and don't want int the phone, and to limit features that they want limited. If a manufacturer could build the Swiss Army Knife of Phones and not worry about the carrier don't you think that it would be out?

Your only hope is aftermarket WiFi or running a non-certified phone on a network or a provider limiting to their WiFi only. Capitolism does not equal Utopianism.
    Tmobile TODAY sells the HP6315 with wifi. It works on ANY wifi hotspot. Sorry.
    xda II
    basically any ms phone, you can plug in wifi sd card
    Q: No WiFi? Are you Crazy?

A: PalmOne may seem crazy for not having a WiFi solution available, but at least they now seem more open to the idea then they were this weekend. In the press conference, the first question of Ed Colligan was why they did not put a WiFi card in. He replied, "We put things in that we think that are absolutley critical to the device". When pushed for information about adding it later, he said "We do have a wifi card that will work in the SD slot, but we do not have the drivers yet.". He continued to say that PalmOne will be working on it. This is opposite of what Greg Shirai told us in the pre-briefing conference call earlier this weekend. Shirai said that PalmOne will not support a WiFi card for the Treo 650, as it was more complicated than drivers alone. Along with staff from mytreo.net and InfoSync World, I asked Colligan about this discrepancy, He replied that it was a matter of resources, and yes PalmOne will be indeed working on WiFi for the Treo 650. Colligan seemed serious about this, even in spite of the challenges that were demonstrated by Shirai. It will only be a matter of time before something happens.

At Mobile Focus, I ran into a representative from C-Guys. C-Guys spent six months trying to get their 802.11b card working for the Treo 600. They gave up, due to power constraints, and the sheer complexity of trying to get a working driver made for the Treo 600. However, they are now working on an 802.11g card, and have attempted to change the process in which drivers will work. He claims that within a year, we should be seeing some sort for Wifi card, working with at least he 650.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sprint is the only carrier that wants to hold back on Wifi and Bluetooth. GSM Carriers aren't been greedy like sprint is. Thats why I switched to T-mobile, I can do what ever I want with my bluetooth and wifi. As for the treo 650 it's not worth getting when you can get a ppc with all the features you can want and available even before the treo 650 was officially announced.
    ^^sprint & verizon
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The i-Mate ppc phone is exactly what PalmOne needed: some competition! People will vote with their pocketbooks, and buy ppc phones, until P1 gets its **** in gear and catches up in the features department. Now that's what I call capitalism!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Do any US based carriers even have a phone, or especially a smartphone that natively supports WiFi? I can't find one.
    WOW....!! Im sure this will get slapped around. What a quote!..

I have an iMATE PDA2K as of last week and havent looked back on my Treo 600 thats sitting on my desk right now. I dont care what people say but having data/bluetooth/wifi in the same boat is the way to go.

Crazy I tell ya..
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs
    WOW....!! Im sure this will get slapped around. What a quote!..

I have an iMATE PDA2K as of last week and havent looked back on my Treo 600 thats sitting on my desk right now. I dont care what people say but having data/bluetooth/wifi in the same boat is the way to go.

Crazy I tell ya..
    On your desk? I have my old Treo on the floor somewhere... ow yeah thats right under my pile of this weeks dirty clothes.
    HP 6315
    and the upcoming Nokia 9500 (not 9300)