Life for us standards loving web designers could be so much easier: design one XHTML page, create appropriate css files for 'normal' screens, printing and handhelds and you're set.

Unfortunately, we still have to wait for the next gen treo/browser to come around because Blazer is still not getting it right... or should I say over-right? I did some tests with an XHTML page using 2 different style sheets (one for PC screens and one for the treos),the treo 600 and treo 650 Simluators. Here's what I found.

If the css files are not marked by 'media' at all, both files are relevante in both the 600 and the 650. That's expected.

If the handheld css is marked with 'media="handheld"', only the treo 650 is using it to display the page. Since the screen css file is still unmarked, that, too, is used (on the treo 600 as well as on the treo 650). That looks promising.

If the handheld css is marked with 'media="handheld"' and the screen css is marked with 'media="screen"' nothing changes compared to an unmarked screen css style: both treo 600 and treo 650 use the screen css and only the treo 650 also uses the handheld css. And that's disapointing.

Optimized or wide mode don't change the general behavior, only the interpretation of the loaded css styles.

That means if you use css and you want to use the 'media' tag you'll have to reset any and all settings made in your general screen style sheet by your handheld css instead of just writing a new handheld css if you want to make it look good on a treo 650 (and Blazer 4.0). I'd hoped Blazer 4.0 would just use 'media="handheld"' style sheets if they where present instead of adding it to the screen style.

Oh well, so I'll keep producing redundant XHTML code to achive something that could've been done so easily if the Blazer developers would have paid a little more attention...

andreas