Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    archie - good comments. I wish I could give you exact quotes to back up my statement, but I didn't record the conversations we had, so, as unbelievable as it is, the lack of products in the market is what I wrote in my notes as the reasoning given to me in the conversation with Michelle White.

Now, I'm not exactly sure about proximity detection; The Treo 650 can be made discoverable, and infact when I set it up with my Powerbook, I did the entire thing from the powerbook, aside from entering the passkey. I wish I had the time to test salling clicker, but I think it should work because I think it uses a serial profile, with both Treo 650's support.

I wish we could have learned every detail there was to learn at CTIA, but sadly we couldn't. We will continue to work on getting complete answers to everyones questions (Voice Tags is still a mystery to even the people at PalmOne!) regarding new features.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    BT 1.2 includes features such as adaptive frequency hopping for improved reliability, and a stereo headset profile. PalmOne did not support 1.2, because they did not see any devices using 1.2 on the market. In fact, 1.2 has not even been finalized and approved yet! (though many many companies are using the gold master versions in their products) The Broadcom chip is upgradeable to 1.2, but i highly doubt palmOne would release the new software for 1.2..

It's kind of sad, because I spoke with the guy in charge of Bluetooth at Broadcom, and he claims that stero headsets are going to be the next big thing for Bluetooth, and the 650 won't support it.
    I have to take issue with the "finalized and approved", "there are no devices using BT 1.2"
    BT 1.2 was officially adopted nearly a YEAR ago:

http://www.bluetooth.com/news/sigrel...995&ARC=1&ofs=

Once the SIG adopts it, it's a done deal. Vendors are off to the races.

There is HUGE demand; for Palm to say "we don't see any devices (here therefore no need for 1.2 int he device)" is like saying "we don't see a need for wireless hotspots", even though devices with wi-fi cards are flooding the market. How short-sighted can Palm get? (that was rhetorical; I think we all know).

This was an enormous blunder by Palm, IMHO, we will see if people's expereince bears this out.

I'm glad to see some real discussion about it; I raised this issue long ago (the first to do so at TC); too bad the conclusion was disappointiing.
    How difficult would it be for p1 to implement 1.2? If the cost to them is fairly low, then they have a lot to gain by adding it. ( I personally know 600 users who are switching to other companies because they can't do voicedialing) Where do we put the pressure to get this done... if its that easy to implement? I don't know excactly what to do... I'm a first time treo owner and thought this technology was included... so I'm willing to do whatever to get it.

Kyle

btw I love this site! I can't stay away since I got my 650
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleWill
    How difficult would it be for p1 to implement 1.2? If the cost to them is fairly low, then they have a lot to gain by adding it. ( I personally know 600 users who are switching to other companies because they can't do voicedialing) Where do we put the pressure to get this done... if its that easy to implement? I don't know excactly what to do... I'm a first time treo owner and thought this technology was included... so I'm willing to do whatever to get it.

Kyle

btw I love this site! I can't stay away since I got my 650
    What do you think that you're going to gain from 1.2 over 1.1, keeping in mind that extra profiles do NOT need to be enabled in order to upgrade to 1.2
    Unless ive missed something, i'd now be able to use bluetooth for HANDSFREE dialing, keeping the treo in the pocket, be able to use bt for music, be able to use the better automatic channel switching for less problems with static around 2.4 Ghz devices.... all i can remember. also,see post #19 in this thread! although i admit i dont know much about this, what do you mean by "extra profiles do NOT need to be enabled in order to upgrade to 1.2", does that mean that we DONT need to go through palm?? im confused

by shadowmite: I'm only going to say this once. The Treo 650 CAN support bluetooth 1.2. In addition we CAN fix DUN profile on Sprint. It all comes down to this datasheet on the bluetooth chipset:

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/2035-PB01-R.pdf

Just wait, several groups will be working on cracking this.

shadaow,
    any update on a 1.2 update? great job with DUN!
    Last edited by KyleWill; 01/06/2005 at 12:50 AM.
    As a new Treo owner and first time Palm user, far and away my greatest disappointment with the 650 is the lack of BT 1.2. I would love to get a pair of wireless headphones and listen to music without a tether, or to use a BT keyboard, and especially voice-activated dialing from a BT headset. I would love to see this issue addressed.

Petty stuff, though. All in all this is the best tech toy I have ever purchased.
    Last edited by alfanatic; 01/07/2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12