1.    #1  
    I bought a Treo 600 when it came out on Orange (GSM network in the UK). Traded up my Sony Ericsson p800 for one.

Man was I disappointed! The quality of the phone side is rubbish....sms's sometimes never received or very slow to receive (days after friends sent them). Weird behaviour accessing the web via GPRS (couldn't download pages until 600 was rebooted). Incoming call sometimes didn't ring/vibrate the phone.

Impression I got was the phone-side was tacked onto the end of an otherwise good plamm-based PDA. ie: crappy integration of the phone-side to the pda

Now the 650 is out I wonder whether they've improved all this?!

I really wonder though 'cause they're releasing a GSM version at the same time as the CDMA version. Nokia & others take *months* to re-release their pda-phones on different networks because it's a lot of work to convert & certify the phone-side. Treo does both at once, suggests they're skipping corners again

Anyone else had similar probs with the 600? Anyone know if the 650 is tested any better?
    I've had a Sprint Treo 600 since the week they came out last year. I've never had the device replaced and never had any of the problems you mention.

Granted, I have problems. I had the weird 'Network Search' error at times and my phone probably resets itself about once a week. But since I use Backupman, I'm safe.

Overall, I've been quite please with it. Its still way better than my Treo 300 was and way more reliable than my FOUR Treo 270s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Dave
    I bought a Treo 600 when it came out on Orange (GSM network in the UK). Traded up my Sony Ericsson p800 for one.

Man was I disappointed! The quality of the phone side is rubbish....sms's sometimes never received or very slow to receive (days after friends sent them). Weird behaviour accessing the web via GPRS (couldn't download pages until 600 was rebooted). Incoming call sometimes didn't ring/vibrate the phone.

Impression I got was the phone-side was tacked onto the end of an otherwise good plamm-based PDA. ie: crappy integration of the phone-side to the pda

Now the 650 is out I wonder whether they've improved all this?!

I really wonder though 'cause they're releasing a GSM version at the same time as the CDMA version. Nokia & others take *months* to re-release their pda-phones on different networks because it's a lot of work to convert & certify the phone-side. Treo does both at once, suggests they're skipping corners again

Anyone else had similar probs with the 600? Anyone know if the 650 is tested any better?
    I've had an 600 with Orange UK since release last year and have sent and received hundreds of SMS messages (probably >1000) and as far as I'm aware every one I've sent has arrived and every one sent to me I've received. Similarly, I've not had any problems with incoming calls. GPRS is a different matter. I did use to get occasional connection problems that required a reset to fix. These have mostly (but not quite completely) gone now; the problem got much better after installing the firmware update (update to 03.05) using the 1.12 updater.

I think this tells us that your problems are not universal (or even national!) and on that basis probably aren't due to inadequate testing. The impresssion I get is that an excellent phone is integrated very well with an excellent PDA
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I think this tells us that your problems are not universal (or even national!) and on that basis probably aren't due to inadequate testing.
    Glad to know you can speak on behalf of the UK

The sms thing is difficult to gauge as it could be network related I guess. I too often get my mates swearing they sent me an sms when it never comes through, or not until I send one myself to test it, & then I get a bunch pushed back to me suddenly.

Crux of my question is has the 650 sorted these probs (you're alluding to this with the firmware upgrade on 600)? I'm a bit wary given that they release CDMA & GSM versions simultaneously.

I'm considering moving over to the SonyEricsson P910 when available locally if stability on treo series isn't improved.
    Glad to know you can speak on behalf of the UK
    Lol! I wouldn't be so presumptuous of course. What I meant to say (and probably didn't say very well) was that the fact that SMS works great for me at least shows it's not a problem with every 600. If it were then I certainly agree that Orange should have picked it up in pre-release testing. Of course this doesn't help you and you might well argue that problems that only afflict a subset off phones should also have been picked up. I guess the frequency of the problem is the key: frequent problems should be found in testing but I think it's a bit much to ask that very infrequent problems are identified prior to release.

The sms thing is difficult to gauge as it could be network related I guess. I too often get my mates swearing they sent me an sms when it never comes through, or not until I send one myself to test it, & then I get a bunch pushed back to me suddenly.
    Poor signal? Dodgy handset?

Crux of my question is has the 650 sorted these probs (you're alluding to this with the firmware upgrade on 600)? I'm a bit wary given that they release CDMA & GSM versions simultaneously.

I'm considering moving over to the SonyEricsson P910 when available locally if stability on treo series isn't improved.
    If you still have the 600 with old firware it might be worth trying the update. You can get the Orange version here. It could be that the problem is sorted already.