Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm currently using an IPAQ with plenty of memory. I'm really interested in the T650, but I'm also reading all the crying about the limited memory. In Palm terms, is 32mb rediculously low? I mean, is it probable that I'll run out of memory? I'm one of those that will use an SD card for significant file storage, but I don't know how Palm programs eat memory. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!
    KitMoni
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    No, not at all. Iused an original Tungsten T (best Palm I've ever owned) for a year and its 16 mb was more than enough. If I got something that was too big, well, it made me weigh my priorities. 23Mb is more than enough, perhaps I should say 'sufficient'.My T3 has 28.3 Mb of stuff, and I could easily slim it down to -20 mb.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I really think it's a non-issue, if you want to carry along a large number of files use the SD Card. I've never run my treo out of RAM for normal use.
    non issue, my treo 600 still has about 7.3mb
    PowerRun will solve many of your RAM problems by allowing you to store most apps on the SD. And MSMount will hopefully enable those apps that PowerRun has problems with. I have 10 MB free on my Treo, and 80MB+ of games/docs/Palm stuff on my card. If I had to, I could probably reclaim another 3-4 MB by moving more apps to the card.
    I too have been reading alot about memory issues and complaints. My question is, "how much ROM is there and how much RAM is there in the 650?". The 32mb that has been mentioned isn't shared I hope. Also, someone is these forums mentioned (with a screen shot as well) that voice dialing with a bluetooth headset may be possible with "voice tags". Anyone have any thought on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    PowerRun will solve many of your RAM problems by allowing you to store most apps on the SD. And MSMount will hopefully enable those apps that PowerRun has problems with. I have 10 MB free on my Treo, and 80MB+ of games/docs/Palm stuff on my card. If I had to, I could probably reclaim another 3-4 MB by moving more apps to the card.
    Just listen to yourselves - this is as CRAZY as the old days when we broke the DOS 640k barrier by convoluted EMM memory managers on the old 386's. This is 2004; the Palm OS can use more memory - so why do we have to use memory emulator programs (PowerRun, etc) to expand physical memory.

Please folks, 64mb, even 256mb, is a piece of cake to implement - and NOT cost prohibitive.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I agree that it should be a no-brainer to add more memory. However, I use LauncherX and it is really easy to add directories to search on the SD card. For example, I have a directory /Apps and a directory /Games on my SD card with lots of apps and games in them and I still have over 15MB free on the Treo. LauncherX looks into the configured dirs on the card and make the .prc's in them look like they are in memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Just listen to yourselves - this is as CRAZY as the old days when we broke the DOS 640k barrier by convoluted EMM memory managers on the old 386's. This is 2004; the Palm OS can use more memory - so why do we have to use memory emulator programs (PowerRun, etc) to expand physical memory.

Please folks, 64mb, even 256mb, is a piece of cake to implement - and NOT cost prohibitive.
    Yes, it is very easy and there's really no reason the Treo 650 should have only 32 MB. But the extra RAM would not have made a difference in the way I use the Treo.
    Yes, it is very easy and there's really no reason the Treo 650 should have only 32 MB. But the extra RAM would not have made a difference in the way I use the Treo.
    There are a lot of people who do not manage their 23 MB of free space. They dont move files over to SD card or setup 3rd party launchers to make everything work. In those cases, the Treo will run out of memory very very quick. Keep in mind, the amount of space needed for blazer cache, email cache, images, and videos. Each require as much as 2mb which eats up 8mb even b4 adding other software.

Since it would not have cost much more, P1 should have done it to make it more convenient and less worrysome for people that do not micromanage space on their PDA. The function of the PDA is to make you more efficient... not to give you another thing to worry about
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    The function of the PDA is to make you more efficient... not to give you another thing to worry about
    Amen to that. Sure, I'm stretching my PDA to double as a mini-notebook, but Palm should not make arbitrary decisions to limit RAM for a complex device such as this.

Mark my words, the Treo 660 next Christmas will have a "remarkable" 256mb of RAM and 1.3 mpx camera that you just can't pass up for a mere $599; followed by the ultimate Treo 666 for summer 2006 with WiFi directly from the "ultimate hotspot".
    I agree 100%. I use PowerRun and have a registered copy of PiDirect but should not have to use them as extensively as I do. Today, everything that can run on a card or with PowerRun does. I only have about 7MB RAM free and about 200MB free on my 512MB card.

IMO, the Treo 650 should have come with 64MB out of the gate. Every new model should at least have twice the memory of its predecessor if it is released 1 year later.
    The sad fact remains that the 650 has only 10MB RAM available, the 23MB figure from PalmOne is the available flash capacity. In other word, available RAM is more than halved! Why can't they provide 64 MB? It would make the phone at most five dollar more expensive, but at the same time add the needed space for your smart content... Unless the 650 is the new low end model of the Treo range, this is a bad call, PalmOne!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    The sad fact remains that the 650 has only 10MB RAM available, the 23MB figure from PalmOne is the available flash capacity. In other word, available RAM is more than halved! Why can't they provide 64 MB? It would make the phone at most five dollar more expensive, but at the same time add the needed space for your smart content... Unless the 650 is the new low end model of the Treo range, this is a bad call, PalmOne!
    Not sure what you are talking about, but below is from TC's home page:

"While we do not know who made the memory, we do know that there is a 32 MB SDRAM and 32 MB of Flash memory. The two chips are required because programs must run in SDRAM. The flash memory is always kept insync with the SDRAM. "

It is a 32+32 arrangement.
    The following is a memory map from the latest Palm One SDK Documentation.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...tid=4407&stc=1

I hope that clears up my assertion about 10 MB of available RAM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Gates once said that 640K was all we'd ever need (or something similar)...so the 23MB free on the 650 shouldn't be a problem.
    Seriously, I've never come close to running out...but I'm sure there are others with lots of multimedia and pictures that could run it out quickly.
    Would have been nice if they went to 64MB...just a question...can the PalmOS handle that much?
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    Bill Gates once said that 640K was all we'd ever need (or something similar)...so the 23MB free on the 650 shouldn't be a problem.
    Seriously, I've never come close to running out...but I'm sure there are others with lots of multimedia and pictures that could run it out quickly.
    Would have been nice if they went to 64MB...just a question...can the PalmOS handle that much?
    Yes, in fact the new T5 has 256mb.
    I think the big fuss regarding the 32MB memory in the 650 is that we can "get by" with it now in the 600, but hoped to upgrade to a more "comfortable" 64MB in the 650.

My 600 is plenty usable right now, but I would love to have more room for running apps (especially those that must stay in RAM like system/e-mail/chat/ringer apps). I use Zlauncher which will copy an app from the SD card to RAM when you launch it. This is fine for apps I launch, but apps that must be running or are launched by other apps, must be in RAM. Also, you cannot map a hard button to one of these "Zlauncher shortcut" apps because the system does not "see" the app.

For the high cost of upgrading/replacing my 600 to a 650, I expect to get more RAM. The 650 will still be at least as useful as the 600.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    What you guys are missing is that there are those of us who run apps that simply can't be moved/run from the SD card. I have several that fall into this category. This in combination with Mapopolis (Which requires 12MB free to operate correctly) makes the 23MB free available RAM way too cramped. If I upgrade, I'm going to have to find another meg.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast