Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PowerRun Blah Blah....LauncherX Blah Blah Blah....23 MB of Memeory is a J O K E !

Constantly having to move Shi-t around and use extra programs to make regular programs run from the SD card drives me insane. I have a 1 GB SDcard. What the he-ll was so damn hard for Palm to do this? If I only paid $50 bucks for my extra memory how much could it POSSIBLY have cost Palm??? If it cost them $1 and they charge an extra $5 you can't honestly tell me ANYONE would say "Oh no, I'm not buying the 650 because it cost $5 extra to go from 23MB to 1GB!"

I'm getting the 650 and at the same time getting the PDA2K. After two weeks I'm telling one "You're Fired" (kinda like I'm telling Bush on Nov 2nd). I have a feeling it's going to be Palm that gets shi-tcanned.

Hey wait a minute, if I vote for bush can I run up a trillion dollar deficit on my checking account? I mean it's OK for him right?
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I agree 100%. ... Every new model should at least have twice the memory of its predecessor if it is released 1 year later.
    "Moore's law is an empirical observation stating, in effect, that at our rate of technological development and advances in the semiconductor industry, the complexity of integrated circuits doubles every 18 months." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Right idea but the timing is a little off if you go by Moore's Law we should have a 53meg T650. But that's silly. P1 needed to keep up with Moore's Law! How did they miss this? The growth and demand factor was so obvious.

P1 broke Moore's law, they should go directly to jail, they should not pass Go, they should not collect $200 ($600). If they want to play, then play by the rules. 64megs is now the minimum. And I still want one...
    Exactly... The built in PhotoDB wants to stay in Ram... I'm always running out while taking pictures. Recording audio to the card is too slow, so that has to go to ram. I have the bible with several translations, it is way to slow to load it from a card. (I think even with PowerRun it was 23 seconds) to access one of the books....

What is PowerRun and how does it work? I wonder if someone will write some software that will let us use the flash ram to store stuff like I did on another model (I think the Treo300.

Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    What you guys are missing is that there are those of us who run apps that simply can't be moved/run from the SD card. I have several that fall into this category. This in combination with Mapopolis (Which requires 12MB free to operate correctly) makes the 23MB free available RAM way too cramped. If I upgrade, I'm going to have to find another meg.
    i'm willing to bet that most of us have memory cards for our treos and that even if they had 64mb built in, most of us would still have memory cards. while I agree it seems palm has taken the cheap road, I don't think that it really matters given that a lot of us add memory anyway.
    I thought Moore's law had to do with speed of processors doubling every 18 months, not amount of memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    I thought Moore's law had to do with speed of processors doubling every 18 months, not amount of memory?
    Originally yes. But it seems to be holding true for everything to do with computing including ram. How much ram did your PC need 18 months ago? How fast was the first CD drive and how fast are they now? How big was the standard HD 18 months ago? Some have suggested that the rate has reached a turning point and is now slowing down. Those that believe this say the rate of exponential growth is now two years not 18 months. From what I have read about emergent tech I think we are on the verge of a much faster rate of increase, not a slow down. You might say we are in the calm before the storm.
    It has been suggested in this forum that the PDA will become a small device that stays in a pocket. It will be wirelessly connected to a heads up display with sound and audio input. Most computing will be done by voice. But on the occasion that typing is more appropriate the key board will be unfolded and wirelessly connected. So will the camera, and any other peripheral. I think these are ideas on the right track.
    The 650 is a small, very small move in the right direction. We can give P1 some leeway this time due to the turmoil of converging and diverging. But come on, 32megs? I know, itís a phone, and should first be a phone. Thatís the wrong answer. It is first a PDA and secondly a phone. We donít shop for particular phone features when looking at the Treo. Phone features are set by the phone service provider. Sure some want carrier A and some want service B. But the people that buy the 650 will be tech people that buy the tech first and want a phone with it.
    P1 says it put in BT because that is a needed phone feature. WIFI is not needed but only extra for a phone. I think they think wrong. What they have is a PDA/phone not a PHONE/pda. People shopping for a phone are not going to get talked into the 650 and go from less than $100 to $600 to add the PDA. But people that are looking at a PDA at $500 might just put out another $100 to get a phone with it.
    Iím confident that the next one will be about a year away and have the mem, wifi, and camera that we want. But then there will be more that we will want and it still wonít add up.
    AND I still want one. If itís the best they can do, so be it. My T300 is rather dated now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    i'm willing to bet that most of us have memory cards for our treos and that even if they had 64mb built in, most of us would still have memory cards. while I agree it seems palm has taken the cheap road, I don't think that it really matters given that a lot of us add memory anyway.
    Yes, I would still use a mem card.....but I would not have to worry about the cache in my browser, I would not have worry about how many emails I have downloaded, I would not have to worry about how many news articles I cannot download on a daily basis, I would not have to worry about size of any utilities that MUST be in ram, I would not have to worry about....

Sure, a lot of programs can go on the card and work fine on a card with a mem manager. In fact I use TealAlias a lot. But the point is, that there are a lot of programs that CANNOT run on a card. And it seems that most of them are vital (or at least extremely useful) while I am on the road a lot.

Plus if you have to use the slot for an accessory, then you lost your memory card....or paid a great deal more to buy a combo card.

I agree that any PDA that is even attempting to leading the pack needs AT LEAST 64.....but should have 128 or 256 or even 512 to maintain the title of leader.

I am a big fan of the Treo 600 and even though this is my number complaint with the 650, it is not a deal breaker if I find other flaws with the PPC-6600 that outweigh the challenges only 24 available mem presents with the 650.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12