1.    #1  
    I am also torn between the Treo650 and the various HTC models.

Since I am locked in a 2 yr contract with Sprint, the choices for me are the following:

1) keep using the treo600 that I currently have
    2) buy the treo650
    3) buy the PPC6601 (or the upcoming 6600 which adds a camera)

looking at the specs of the PPC6601 on phonescoop.com, I noticed the following:

The size is 4.90" x 2.75" x 0.74" (or 124mm x 70mm x 19mm for the non-Americans), which is considerably larger than the Treo600 at 4.41" x 2.36" x 0.87" (or 112mm x 60mm x 22mm)

I am actually fine w/ the thickness of the treo phone, it's the length/width that I am having problems with. It's already a pain in the **** for me to pull out my treo out of my jeans/slacks while i am driving, i can't imagine getting a -bigger- phone.

To me, the treo600 is at the limit in terms of size requirement of being a pocketable phone. Here's my question, does -anyone- know if the size shown above for the PPC6601 is for when the keyboard slides out? or is the size even bigger when you slide out the keyboard? I am torn between the 2 phones but the size will most likely be a deal breaker for me.
    make that THREE
    wait till next year and get BenQ P50
    another HOTTTTTT device
    http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/benq...ttt-023000.php
    http://www.godmode.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8641

quadband
    wifi+bt
    keyboard
    1.3mpx camera
    PDA 2 k for me.
  4.    #4  
    just posted on another thread here, the benq p50's max data spd is 32-48kbps, that's about half of what i am getting for my treo600.

i am aware of the fact that it has wifi, but unless you have a wifi package that covers my cellular coverage, i am not really interested in depending on that as my primary backup for internet connectivity.

if i -have to- use wifi, i'd bring my laptop w/ wifi. To me, wifi on a cell is lower in priority than a decent camera -> to which i am perfectly okay w/o.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    reviewing the ppc6600 I read this:
    "The big change is the addition of a built-in wireless LAN (802.11b) adapter. The wireless LAN manager is better than that on other Pocket PC devices, and provides lots of information. Things like current AP, an option to turn WLAN off if not connected after a certain amount of time (great battery saving feature), and a slider to define power saving or performance options. It supports LEAP authentication, and a tab allows the definition of SSID and its attributes. It does not include a scanner though, and it relies on Windows Mobile Zero Configuration to find and connect to Wireless Access Points (WAP).
    currently have a HP iPAQ 4150 and an i-mate Pocket PC Edition. One for its wireless LAN capabilities, the other for its WAN capabilities. The i-mate PDA2k successfully brings these features together and its automatic switching from GPRS to WLAN is an attractive feature to business users.

To manage all these connection options, the Wireless Manager program allows the user to turn each connection type on and off, and assign a default connection (CID) for GPRS, and a default profile for Bluetooth.

The most interesting feature here is the ability to automatically switch between wireless LAN and GPRS connections, based on the availability of the first. When close to a valid Wireless Access Point (WAP), any data connection will be first attempted through the high-speed connection, before falling back to the GPRS connection. Handy when using the device at home or work and then going out to visit clients for example.

The i-mate PDA2k should be available from Vodafone New Zealand before the end of this year, with other smart devices announced by Carrier Devices, like the i-mate Smartphone3 and the i-mate JAM. Prices are not yet defined at the time of this review. As a final comment, if you're interested on this device, but not sure if a converged handheld is for you, read our article "

I think the pub at large has not been exposed (fully) to the advantages of having wifi. In my office the majority of information can not be accessed from external net access.
    But maybe someone will come up with a hack or work around to open up the wifi feature on the T650
    Last edited by g.711; 10/26/2004 at 05:40 AM.
    Funny avatar, Ultrasonoman
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebuddha
    I am also torn between the Treo650 and the various HTC models.

Since I am locked in a 2 yr contract with Sprint, the choices for me are the following:

1) keep using the treo600 that I currently have
    2) buy the treo650
    3) buy the PPC6601 (or the upcoming 6600 which adds a camera)

looking at the specs of the PPC6601 on phonescoop.com, I noticed the following:

The size is 4.90" x 2.75" x 0.74" (or 124mm x 70mm x 19mm for the non-Americans), which is considerably larger than the Treo600 at 4.41" x 2.36" x 0.87" (or 112mm x 60mm x 22mm)

I am actually fine w/ the thickness of the treo phone, it's the length/width that I am having problems with. It's already a pain in the **** for me to pull out my treo out of my jeans/slacks while i am driving, i can't imagine getting a -bigger- phone.

To me, the treo600 is at the limit in terms of size requirement of being a pocketable phone. Here's my question, does -anyone- know if the size shown above for the PPC6601 is for when the keyboard slides out? or is the size even bigger when you slide out the keyboard? I am torn between the 2 phones but the size will most likely be a deal breaker for me.
    well, the ppc 6601 will cost you 629.99 but it has no camera and yes, the thing will be huge when you slide it out. the treo 650 will have a camera and will cost 599.99. the deal breaker for everyone is if the treo 650 will support an sd wi-fi card and now they have wifi member card combos. i am a windows mobile supporter to the fullest, but im getting the treo 650. i have an mpx200, a mio8390, and a treo 270. i was just inches away from getting the mpx220, but i decided not to. the thing didnt wow me like i thought. my treo 650 will be used for entertainment mostly. i will be playing emulators, watching movies, listening to mp3s, and browsing the web, and chatting. the treo does all those things, in a smaller package. plus im going to be all over that new version of nesem that supports multiplayer over bluetooth!!
    Regarding the size of the PPC6601 compared to the treo 600... the thickness is about the same and it is slightly wider. Overall, it is not taller because of the t600's antenna. You can look at pictures here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707

In my opinion, what makes the t600 difficult to get out of my pocket (while driving) is the protruding antenna. If this is the case, the PPC6601 should be easier to slide out b/c of the rounded shape.

Regarding applications like emulators, movies, games, chatting, web, and mp3s, PPC does this better than Palm. There are more emulators available with more games. Movies are better on the larger screen. And from the review, the mp3 capabilties are better as well. The only drawback is the 320x240 screen versus the 320x320 screen of the t650. But from screen shots, it seems that P1 did not optimize the software to utilize the high res screen. It only makes a difference in web browsing. Thus, I think the PPC is an overall better phone.

Also, WiFi is already available for PPC. And if you go with the Imate... its built in. I think I'll be waiting for the sprint version because it will be EV-DO enabled. Plus the camera version will have a flash! I don't think it'll be more expensive because of the camera. When the cameraless treo 600 came out, it was the same price.