$150 rebate for cust. since 18+months
    non-camera version later this year

AT&T
    GSM
    Treo 650 in December or January
    EDGE status is unknown

Vodaphone
    Q1 2005

The Treo 650 will continue to be manufactured until carriers all go to the Treo 650.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...carrier_w.html
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    I know nobody actuallyknows , but what's the likelihood that unlocked GSM versions of the T650 will show up (on eBay and elsewhere on the internets) before AT&T starts carrying them?
    Like I've said elsewhere, I guess I won't even mention the word verizon
    From the original source:

'AT&T, soon to be Cingular, will have the GSM version of the phone on their network in December or January. A price has not been announced yet, but it's reasonable to assume a price equal to Sprint. AT&T boasts EDGE coverage in a few markets, giving it a huge speed advantage over Sprint PCS. In Europe, Vodaphone has confirmed plans to launch the 650 at the turn of the year.'

Peronally I wouldn't mind going back to Vodafone at all. Voda GPRS is generally regarded as the most reliable in the UK and I found their customer service to be really excellent. With Ed Colligan saying yesterday that Orange will release the 650 soon, it could be that we'll have a bit of 650 competition in the UK. Good.
    You mean to say that in the UK Orange will no longer be the sole carrier. If so Yippee. I agree with you that vodafone is better. I have vodafone at the moment and this may well open up the competition more in hte UK in the supply of Treo 650. I have digitizer drift on my Tunsten T. My contracts finished on the Nokia 3650. I am desperately waiting to get a Treo 650. Can I wait until the New Year. The suspense is killing me!
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    You mean to say that in the UK Orange will no longer be the sole carrier.
    I guess that's the implication unless Voda/Orange/P1 have some sort of either/or deal such that you can only get the 650 on one network in any one country. Seems pretty unlikely - witness the XDAIIs/MDAIII/VPA/SPVM2000 - same phone soon to be available on all major UK networks.

Quote Originally Posted by becs
    If so Yippee. I agree with you that vodafone is better. I have vodafone at the moment and this may well open up the competition more in hte UK in the supply of Treo 650. I have digitizer drift on my Tunsten T. My contracts finished on the Nokia 3650. I am desperately waiting to get a Treo 650. Can I wait until the New Year. The suspense is killing me!
    Me too. I flirted with the idea of the XDAIIs (wfi would be really nice) but the thing is just too big, especially with the keyboard extended, and I've had issues with PPC in the past.
    I cannot believe Verizon will not have the 650 for god knows how long. Between them charging an arm and a leg, and the fact that they have no good phones, I really am beginning to hate them. If only their service wasn't so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by interclubs
    I cannot believe Verizon will not have the 650 for god knows how long. Between them charging an arm and a leg, and the fact that they have no good phones, I really am beginning to hate them. If only their service wasn't so good.
    I am frustrated too and Verizon has not yet acknowledged the 650 exists as far as I know. I'm not sure if they'll carry it ever or if it will be next month. Nonetheless, I am happy with the fact that they are the best I have ever used. I had t mobile which had NON EXISTANT service coverage. I had no signal most places in manhattan. I had AT&T which had holes in coverage the size of neighborhoods in new york city. I had Sprint which dropped calls all the time. I have verizon now and I have never had a dropped call. I think people with other providers would be surprised to know that there are cellular services that actually rarely drop calls! Crappy phones, yes but they actually allow you to have a phone conversation with someone. That's what it's supposed to be about in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Kai
    I am frustrated too and Verizon has not yet acknowledged the 650 exists as far as I know. I'm not sure if they'll carry it ever or if it will be next month. Nonetheless, I am happy with the fact that they are the best I have ever used. I had t mobile which had NON EXISTANT service coverage. I had no signal most places in manhattan. I had AT&T which had holes in coverage the size of neighborhoods in new york city. I had Sprint which dropped calls all the time. I have verizon now and I have never had a dropped call. I think people with other providers would be surprised to know that there are cellular services that actually rarely drop calls! Crappy phones, yes but they actually allow you to have a phone conversation with someone. That's what it's supposed to be about in the first place.
    It's amazing how different our experiences can be. I have Sprint and work in NYC, live in North Jersey. I roam onto Verizon occasionally (about 10% of the time). On a percentage basis, Verizon drops far more of my calls than Sprint. With Sprint, about 1 in 30 calls gets dropped. Roaming onto Verizon, about 1 in 10 calls gets dropped. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    It's amazing how different our experiences can be. I have Sprint and work in NYC, live in North Jersey. I roam onto Verizon occasionally (about 10% of the time). On a percentage basis, Verizon drops far more of my calls than Sprint. With Sprint, about 1 in 30 calls gets dropped. Roaming onto Verizon, about 1 in 10 calls gets dropped. YMMV.
    If you live & travel in the PNW, then Verizon is the only way to go. It is *extremely* frustrating dealing with thier crap selection of devices. But, those of us who choose a carrier based on coverage first & foremost are pretty much stuck. I really hate not having choices!

(stepping down from Verizon rant box now....)
    While reading a thread like this it is fairly important to remember that the TREO 650 is not available yet and any words on its (general) availability are the purest of marketing hype UNTIL it is (generally) available.

The fact that Sprint is making noises about November means nothing more than Sprint is making noises about November.

Perhaps another thread should be started discussing the (purported) preproduction prototypes that were reviewed at CTIA as anecdotal evidence of hyped "availability" dates.

===

Also note - this says nothing at ALL about the OTHER carriers, just Sprint.
    You cannot compare Sprint service on a Sprint phone with Verizon service on a Sprint phone.

I have both a Verizon phone and a Sprint phone. When the Sprint phone roams on the Verizon network, it drops calls all of the time, whereas my Verizon phone in the same spot will make calls flawlessly. I have had at the most 5 dropped calls with Verizon in the past two years, and I travel a lot. I cannot say the same for Sprint. If only Verizon's phones weren't so crappy it would be a no brainer for me...
    I've been chatting with a TMobile representative and they are talking about not support the T650 which makes no sense since they support the T600. If its true, however, it may be time to find a new provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidemm@mac.co
    You cannot compare Sprint service on a Sprint phone with Verizon service on a Sprint phone
    Why not? We are talking about the same phone, aren't we? Is there a PRL issue? If not, then what you are saying doesn't make any sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    I've been chatting with a TMobile representative and they are talking about not support the T650 which makes no sense since they support the T600.
    That's why I like T-Mobile, we see eye-to-eye. I won't be supporting the 650 either.
    Why not? We are talking about the same phone, aren't we? Is there a PRL issue? If not, then what you are saying doesn't make any sense to me.
    I have heard and SEEN phones that roam on the Verizon network from Sprint also have higher rate of dropped calls but the same location with the same phone on the Verizon network continues to work perfectly. I think it may be something to do with the priority that maybe Verizon gives to the ROAMING providers compared to their own clients. this is ONLY A GUESS and nothing more. But I can tell you that a few of my friends have Sprint phones and I and a few others have Verizon and we have actually done some tests in the past and the above statement holds true.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInfo
    I have heard and SEEN phones that roam on the Verizon network from Sprint also have higher rate of dropped calls but the same location with the same phone on the Verizon network continues to work perfectly. I think it may be something to do with the priority that maybe Verizon gives to the ROAMING providers compared to their own clients. this is ONLY A GUESS and nothing more. But I can tell you that a few of my friends have Sprint phones and I and a few others have Verizon and we have actually done some tests in the past and the above statement holds true.
    That seems odd, given the service level commitments required as part of the roaming arrangements between carriers (if you're Sprint, why pay to allow customers to roam if the experience is going to be lousy?), but in wireless telecom land, I suppose anything is possible. It seems especially strange that you would be able to test this with any sort of confidence, unless the dropped call rate is very, very high (i.e., what are the chances you will be able to force a dropped call when you want to test?). You never know. I guess that's why I ended my first comment with YMMV. Luckily I don't roam much so it's not a huge issue for me.
  20. 7ss
    Talked to the T-mobile people in their booth at the CTIA show. They were familiar with the Treo 650 but said they had not even begun testing it yet and expected availability was 2Q 2005. I don't really regard this as a fact but they did seem informed about the phone and had prepared a response for Treo questions so at least someone put some thought in to it. 2Q would be really disappointing.

Cingular wouldn't commit to a release date but was willing to offer that it should make my Christmas list or slightly later.

Palm said they wouldn't offer GSM models until after the first GSM (supposedly AT&T according to them) was released. Likely Jan 2005 for Palm direct if AT&T hits December.

Of course tradeshow answers are always the most reliable...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast