Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    K...I've been a manager in retail for quite a while. I won't mention where, But you can trust that It was a multi-billion dollar corporation. Having that experience, I know how and why Corporations make decisoions that might be surprizing to customers...

    Believe it or not, most decisions are made by YOU, the customer... NOT in what you say or hear, BUT simply by what you BUY and some cases use!!! I'm sure palmone, as did my company, ran thousands upon thousands of tests, data integrity, "LY" , "comps", etc...just so they could understand what is hot and what people are buying AND what people WILL buy.

    If they sold 600,000 units of treo 600s last year and jumped AHEAD of microsofts market. I'd say they had a hell of a year!!! (Anything doing better than microsoft is having a hell of a year.) Maybe, in there data ananlysis, they realized that people just don't use the camera that much. So why put a much more expensive camera in there, that might end up turning people away. Furthermore if the treo 600 is selling, WHY would they want to change it that much...

    They gave us a LOT of bonus already...I don't need to list them...but I'd say not having a 1.3 megapixel camera isn't a loss. It was there to begin with SELLING model, so they tweaked it a bit and kept it for the current model. The Treo 650 is a beauty...

    Anyone else care to elaberate???
    Last edited by JOV3; 10/26/2004 at 01:27 AM.
  2. #2  
    Well said. I'm SHOCKED that there's more outrage over the 650's missing Wi-Fi and 23MB RAM than there was for the 600's lo-res screen.

    I'd say the net effect among users leaving and coming will make the 650 more popular than the 600 could ever be. If for no other reason, the 650 provides a convergence option for EXISTING users of hi-res Palm OS devices who are not about to compromise thier hi-res screens.
  3. #3  
    What people do not realize is that the camera is a higher quality camera that will produce better quanlity photos.
    Last edited by BssinRVer; 10/26/2004 at 07:54 AM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    What people do not realize is that the camera is a higher quality camera that will produce better quantity photos.
    i think ppl on this board know that, they just would rather have 1.3 camara taking the same crappy pics as the 600.

    btw, and the 600 can take good pics, it just needs all the conditions to be right.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    What people do not realize is that the camera is a higher quality camera that will produce better quanlity photos.
    Exactly. I'd rather a sharp 640x480 image than a muddy 1280x960 image.
  6. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    What people do not realize is that the camera is a higher quality camera that will produce better quantity photos.
    From looking at the sample pictures in the TreoCentral review that was posted Sunday night (seems to be gone now or I've read so many reviews they're all merging together) I agree.
  7. hlazar's Avatar
    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #7  
    A good reason for not upgrading the camera size is to keep the size of pictures sent on the phone companies network small. Buying a good camera makes more sense if you want good pictures. VGA is good enough for the quick pictures that the treo provides. I'm glad they improved the camera, and don't care that the picture size is the same.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  8. #8  
    its seems like people were looking for a digital SLR camera in there PDAs that just not going to happen. If you want a high quality camera then you're going to have to buy one seperatly. thats just how things will be.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    Exactly. I'd rather a sharp 640x480 image than a muddy 1280x960 image.
    That's right if it truly is sharper, but the one posted snapshot at treonauts looks like crap just like the old one.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeos
    its seems like people were looking for a digital SLR camera in there PDAs that just not going to happen. If you want a high quality camera then you're going to have to buy one seperatly. thats just how things will be.
    NO ONE has asked for a digital SLR in a phone. There's just no justification (despite all rationalizations posted at Treocentral) for NOT using a high quality 1.3 mpxl camera with this beauty. The camera on the T600 looks like an afterthought, and now it looks like an also ran on the T650.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #11  
    Having a higher resolution camera is certainly no guarantee of better pictures. The Motorola MPx220 is the successor to the MPx200, which had no camera. The MPx220jas a 1.3 MP camera which takes simply awful photos:

    http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...igital_camera/
  12. #12  
    And hopefully when they introduce the non-camera Treo 650, they have the design sense to have a case that doesn't look as though they just removed the camera and filled up the hole.
  13. #13  
    I agree that a better lens in more important than megapiscels; however, I don't agree competely with your argument - neither will insurance and real estate industry people.

    You don't necessarily have to send pics you take through the phone company's network. With SD card prices dropping daily and storage increasing, many folks can take hundreds of pics and save them to their SD cards and download pics to their computer for editing, file sharing, etc.

    The phone companies may want P1 to keep the pics small in size for their own interests. However, the ability for P1 to upgrade the lens (as they have) AND increase the picsel amount should not have been a problem (from a technology standpoint).

    Evil forces (read: wireless carriers) are probably at work here - as they usually are. Whatever the case, P1 could have done it. They chose (or, it was chosen for them) not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    A good reason for not upgrading the camera size is to keep the size of pictures sent on the phone companies network small. Buying a good camera makes more sense if you want good pictures. VGA is good enough for the quick pictures that the treo provides. I'm glad they improved the camera, and don't care that the picture size is the same.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I agree that a better lens in more important than megapiscels; however, I don't agree competely with your argument - neither will insurance and real estate industry people.
    I am a Realtor and there is no way I would use any digital camera that is less than 2 mp to conduct my business. I doubt very much if Insurance people would also use a low resolution cam to include in their reports. Like most Realtors, I carry my pocket-sized Canon S230 camera all the time. No PDA camera would replace it for business purposes, for now anyway. I hardly use my Treo 600 cam at all but it is nice that it is there as a feature.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    I am a Realtor and there is no way I would use any digital camera that is less than 2 mp to conduct my business. I doubt very much if Insurance people would also use a low resolution cam to include in their reports. Like most Realtors, I carry my pocket-sized Canon S230 camera all the time. No PDA camera would replace it for business purposes, for now anyway. I hardly use my Treo 600 cam at all but it is nice that it is there as a feature.
    What do you do with the images you take? Are you taking them so that you can include them on a web page? If so, I'd be pretty surprised if the final images shown on the web are larger than 640x480.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Having a higher resolution camera is certainly no guarantee of better pictures. The Motorola MPx220 is the successor to the MPx200, which had no camera. The MPx220jas a 1.3 MP camera which takes simply awful photos:

    http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...igital_camera/
    wow that's pretty crappy.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Having a higher resolution camera is certainly no guarantee of better pictures. The Motorola MPx220 is the successor to the MPx200, which had no camera. The MPx220jas a 1.3 MP camera which takes simply awful photos:

    http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...igital_camera/

    Great post Argelius....
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I agree that a better lens in more important than megapiscels; however, I don't agree competely with your argument - neither will insurance and real estate industry people.
    I am in insurance and no one I know that takes photos for claims and such uses their phone to do so. They use a real camera. Most folks are aware of the fact that cameras on phones are there as a novelty and nothing more. No realtor or insurance adjuster would be caught dead using a phone camera to take pictures for a claim or to show a property to a client. At the very least it wouldn't look professional.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    What do you do with the images you take? Are you taking them so that you can include them on a web page? If so, I'd be pretty surprised if the final images shown on the web are larger than 640x480.

    Scott
    Photoshop or load to iPhoto and publish through .Mac
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am in insurance and no one I know that takes photos for claims and such uses their phone to do so. They use a real camera. Most folks are aware of the fact that cameras on phones are there as a novelty and nothing more. No realtor or insurance adjuster would be caught dead using a phone camera to take pictures for a claim or to show a property to a client. At the very least it wouldn't look professional.
    right on.....

Posting Permissions