Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

IMO, P1 made that last min. decision to offer a crappy camera for two main reasons:
    - cut costs
    - entice consumers with another model so as to keep their products moving, in other words, they want to ensure sales of future models.

However, if this is true, then I think a lot of P1 loyalists might just decide to abandon ship because we feel cheated. Besides, it's so short sighted of them not to recognize the fact that it won't take long for one of the big brands to come up with the ULTIMATE convergence smartphone, with palm os or ppc! This is particularly important to Asian markets such as Hong Kong where consumers hv access to new and higher tech pdas / phones almost everyday. The low res is SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE to a lot of consumers here because all of their friends or biz contacts wd laugh at the sight of such a "low tech" device!!!

The bad thing is so many marketing people remain short sighted just to please their bosses......... Just my 2 cents!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................
    PLEASE PEOPLE....
    1. You are forgetting the little ones that don't have a PDA phone/smartphone/ppc. To them, this 650 is like a Godsend. WHO CARES if its not a spectacular upgrade to the 600.
    2. You are also forgetting that Palmone/Handspring isn't that old. They only have 3 treos currently. When did the first one come out? 2 years ago...This is a huge step for PALMONE. To be on their 4th phone and to have all these accomodations on this device is amazing.
    3. PPC/Microsoft can blow it out their yin-yangs...It sucks, they crash, your memory is lost, they don't know how to treat customers, they don't know what customers want, they are just money driven. Palmone is smart by listening to the customer. Who knows, maybe in a couple of months to a year, There will be a treo 700/800/1000...that comes equipped with the latest space shuttle launcher. (A request, I'm sure will be maid eventually.)

Point is...THIS IS A GOOD FLIPPIN DEVICE...STOP KNOCKIN IT...and if you don't like it, WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!

AND as far as the camera goes...who gives a rats behind!!! Be thankful you GOT a camera on your phone. I mean really, is it your dream to be wondering around everywhere taking pictures with your phone??? BUY A CAMERA!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    PLEASE PEOPLE....
    1. You are forgetting the little ones that don't have a PDA phone/smartphone/ppc. To them, this 650 is like a Godsend. WHO CARES if its not a spectacular upgrade to the 600.
    2. You are also forgetting that Palmone/Handspring isn't that old. They only have 3 treos currently. When did the first one come out? 2 years ago...This is a huge step for PALMONE. To be on their 4th phone and to have all these accomodations on this device is amazing.
    3. PPC/Microsoft can blow it out their yin-yangs...It sucks, they crash, your memory is lost, they don't know how to treat customers, they don't know what customers want, they are just money driven. Palmone is smart by listening to the customer. Who knows, maybe in a couple of months to a year, There will be a treo 700/800/1000...that comes equipped with the latest space shuttle launcher. (A request, I'm sure will be maid eventually.)

Point is...THIS IS A GOOD FLIPPIN DEVICE...STOP KNOCKIN IT...and if you don't like it, WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!

AND as far as the camera goes...who gives a rats behind!!! Be thankful you GOT a camera on your phone. I mean really, is it your dream to be wondering around everywhere taking pictures with your phone??? BUY A CAMERA!!!!
    Oh, I hv 3 digi cameras with the latest being the Canon EOS SLR. The pt is when you're exposed to so many choices of course you'll compare, and I'm talking apples to apples, NOT apples to oranges, get it? It seems to me you're in a very different mkt where VHS camcorders are still like gold......DVD recorders / plasma tvs are all the rage over here..... Besides, it's just my 2 cents as I said. NO NEED TO GET MAD OR ANNOYED, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhleong
    Oh, I hv 3 digi cameras with the latest being the Canon EOS SLR. The pt is when you're exposed to so many choices of course you'll compare, and I'm talking apples to apples, NOT apples to oranges, get it? It seems to me you're in a very different mkt where VHS camcorders are still like gold......DVD recorders / plasma tvs are all the rage over here..... Besides, it's just my 2 cents as I said. NO NEED TO GET MAD OR ANNOYED, OK?

Im not mad in any way...I understand that technology is the way we are going these days, but seriously, its a cell phone. Not your computer. A CELL PHONE. Not a digital camera...A CELL PHONE. I think a measly megapixel isnt a reason to toss out a phone. To call it our of date is obnoxious. How often do you seriously take pictures with you CELL PHONE??? I probably had one of the first Camera phones ever and have had some sort of camera phone since. How many times did i say i needed it...probaly a good 8 times. 8 times i switched phones, all of them with cameras. Do you know how many times I took a picture....NEVER!!!! What a waste...Be thankful for what PALMONE has given you...
    Quote Originally Posted by bhleong

IMO, P1 made that last min. decision to offer a crappy camera for two main reasons:
    - cut costs
    - entice consumers with another model so as to keep their products moving, in other words, they want to ensure sales of future models.

However, if this is true, then I think a lot of P1 loyalists might just decide to abandon ship because we feel cheated. Besides, it's so short sighted of them not to recognize the fact that it won't take long for one of the big brands to come up with the ULTIMATE convergence smartphone, with palm os or ppc! This is particularly important to Asian markets such as Hong Kong where consumers hv access to new and higher tech pdas / phones almost everyday. The low res is SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE to a lot of consumers here because all of their friends or biz contacts wd laugh at the sight of such a "low tech" device!!!

The bad thing is so many marketing people remain short sighted just to please their bosses......... Just my 2 cents!
    I don't know what the cost of a 1.3 Megapixel Camera is, but it can't be a significant part of the Treo 650 Price. Many lower-end cameras have better than 0.3 Megapixel and 5 Megapixel camera is creeping in...

May be they could not pack something bigger than a 0.3 MP. After all, better resolution should go along with bigger sensor.

As for future sales, I think that Palm is trying to make as much money as they can *now*. I think that they just could not do it for whatever reason.
    I think the 0.3 camera is the most clever move of P1 with the 650.

if you want pictures, shoot them with a camera.

larger files mean longer transmission time - 0.3 is more than enough.
    By the way, do we actually know if the camera is physically 0.3 and not 1.3 that has been purposely crippled by carrier request?

As I said other places, it really doesn't matter to me from a camera perspective...a decent quality 0.3 is fine, but my nature is still to be curious.
    Preach on brother JOV3.

If you want phone/pda, buy the Treo, if you want a camera/phone, buy the Samsung SCH-S250. I know, then you're going to say the Samsung isn't a pda...whine, whine, whine. You have a device that does what it's suppose, makes and receives calls. It does the pda job quite well also. It does the camera thing, ok (more on the poor side for the T600 but we haven't seen a picture from the T650). Plus people are developing new little apps everyday to make this thing that much better.

I agree with JOV3, I'm not going to use the camera on my phone but maybe on very rare occasions, and then it's just for a quick reference. Why should I spend even $5 more for larger and just as crappy pictures as what's produced today? Plus how many of you that have a T600 take care of your lens right now? I'm guess on the order of NONE!!! It's not meant to take professional photos, lets move one to what the T650 can do.
    I think were going to be suprised at the camera improvement. It will fit the niche well. As for pounding on the 650 with out seeing it, I think a wait is in order. I now P1 and I know this phone and the new features presented. The 650 will be enjoyed, and for good reason. No doubt some features are missing, but its a great deal better then it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    I think were going to be suprised at the camera improvement. It will fit the niche well. As for pounding on the 650 with out seeing it, I think a wait is in order. I now P1 and I know this phone and the new features presented. The 650 will be enjoyed, and for good reason. No doubt some features are missing, but its a great deal better then it was.
    TRUE THAT!!!
    There have been a couple of times that I wanted to take a picture with my t600... a rare smile from my girlfriend, a rare goof-off of my boss, a rare get-together with my closest friends, etc. Got some, missed most. Why? Coz most of these happen at night, in a party, a club, etc., where it's DARK! Yes, I actually want to have a better camera with my t600. At a recent office party, my friend actually beat me at taking a picture of my silly drunk boss undressing! He had an xda II. I should be used to this by now, since I've had the t600 since January, but it still makes me sad. Anyway, I know the t650's cam isn't much of an improvement, but judging from the initial pictures taken from it, I'd say it should be enough. Anything that will show a decent picture at low-light conditions is a MONUMENTAL improvement over the t600's. So, let's cross our fingers, and hopefully, it IS enough.
    Even though it's not 1.3 megapixels, you have to admit that P1 has significantly improved the pic quality of the cam judging from the low light pics Treocentral took in their "Hands on with the Treo 650":
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/474-2.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by stephman
    Even though it's not 1.3 megapixels, you have to admit that P1 has significantly improved the pic quality of the cam judging from the low light pics Treocentral took in their "Hands on with the Treo 650":
    My point exactly But, I'm still waiting for the next treo... Unless my t600 gives up on me 1st hehe
    Manilenio, I wanna work where you do! Your drunk boss hiring?!
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Manilenio, I wanna work where you do! Your drunk boss hiring?!
    You're too funny mbd26 !
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    PLEASE PEOPLE....

Most of your points would be right IF there weren't lesser phones out there already with BETTER cameras. It's just plain lazy (and future sales insurance) to scrimp on features already in the marketplace.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephman
    That's an improvement? Please.....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm sorry, I just don't get cameras in the phones. Convergance is great when I can carry a phone, dump my beeper, dump my PDA, be able to answer emails whilst doing 90 on the interstate, play bejeweled on long calls, etc etc but a camera? How will I ever keep Nikon in business, or sony for that matter! Can you integrate all of this into a motorcycle? My mid-life crisis is approaching, or perhaps an automatic rifle, I feel disgruntled.
    It's true that the Treo 650 is a great upgrade... but the fact is... P1 is not keeping up with competition. There are other PDA/Phones out there that offer the same functionality, form factor, and usability but include more features and technology. I am sure the Treo 650 will be great compared to the Treo 600... but will it be great compared to the current crop of PDA/Phones?
    The purpose of the camera is to put a face in the address-book or send a snap shot to your significant other while shopping. 0.3 is the right size for these purposes. I would still like higher res. It would be nice to make a good web photo now and again and not need to get out the full size camera. Some photos need more res but don't qualify because of the hassel in getting the big camera out. 1.3 would have been a nice bridge. But it is not a deal breaker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast