1.    #1  
    I was just thinking about a couple of things. I've been buying palms since the palm pilot pro. Circa 1997-98. Ya'll chime in if you think i'm wrong.

Anyone remember TRG? $150-$300 I can't remember how much it was but I had a 8mb palm pro from 2mb. Palm, took over a year to finally release something that could compete. Minor upgrade after minor upgrade. Back then, their market share was huge and they had almost no competition. Very little motivation to innovate. Then licensing occurred and the iPaqs hit big. Palm got the picture! I remember that year very well. I had customers lined up to buy them. I personally sold 100-150 of them @ $500 each. That year i was awarded a plaque for $400K in personal sale for Radio Shack. iPaqs had a big part of my success. i was closing corporate customers on 10 to 20 units at a time! Ah that's another story for another time...

I remember thinking, as long as palm has their way, they have very little reason to make the products we want to buy! It used to be Sony, Handera, Samsung, Kyocera, Handspring, and Palm. When they had this much competition, they did innovate. Now the field has narrowed. So why wouldn't they make a minor upgrade. They don't have to worry about competition anymore. And in six months they can make another minor upgrade. It's a cycle and on this rotation...I'm NOT gonna buy in.

Another thing, Since when was palm ever really innovated? Let's us not forget the Treo was a Handspring invention. Palm is still convinced people want to use Graffiti over thumboards.

If i were to compare this to an Apple computer, the 650 is a Rev B upgrade. Ya'll Macaddicts know what i'm talking about. Rev C. will be here in 6-8 months and I'll have all of the stuff Rev A should have had, but brand new technology that the Treo 700 will be just around the corner!
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    So what is your point. How can we effect a change, what needs to be done to change direction?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    the answer from your example was = MS
    So are you saying the answer to this is =MS plus 15 years is that what it took for apple to finally get it right? But now it is way to late for the apple folks and the market is so saturated with MS, the game is over.

checkmate!
  4.    #4  
    Unfortunately there's not much we could do to make them change. There's gonna to tens of thousands of people that are gonna to buy it no matter what. And that encourages Palm to keep on course with what they have been doing.... I saw what they did 8 years ago. And they are getting away with the same thing now because they can!

I threw the apple comparison in there because, it's the same situation. I buy new laptops form them every few years. Once they do make enough changes in their offerings. i went from an ibook, to a better ibook, then a Tibook, and now a Aibook. Ohh... the games is far from over. Apple will never be bought buy everyone, but that's fine. As long as they stay innovative, there's always gonna to be people like me that will spend more money for the better design. Creative people who use macs, don't care about specs... they just want the computer to work so they can get work done.
  5.    #5  
    No Competition = No Innovation

Let's see if i eat my own words once... OS 6 finally comes out.
    You will find companies follow money...don't spend yours on things you don't like and they will change in a hurry.

Yes all these companies want to continually upgrade to keep people spending money...go figure. It's called being a public company.