Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://news.com.com/Want+a+Treo+650+...3-5425737.html

AN FRANCISCO--Those wanting to get their hands on a Treo 650 this year will need to sign up for service from Sprint PCS.

Sprint has cornered the market for this year, scooping up all of PalmOne's capacity until sometime in 2005. The company did not announce exact pricing, but said the device will be available nationwide in mid-November and costs under $500 with some service contracts.
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    I don't think that palm one is stupid enough to promise exclusivity to Sprint!!

Heard that At&T will be carrying the 650 soon enough.

I suppose this amounts to good marketing ploy on Sprint's behalf!!
    I heard Sprint was the only one too. It makes sense...seeing how Sprint was the one that pulled in HALF their sales last year. Maybe they made an agreement for a while. Plus 2005 isnt that far away. Makes sense...
    Actually, I think that the development of the original Treo 600 was heavily subsidized by Sprint, in exchange of an exclusivity (remember?). I would not be surprised if they do it again. It worked.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Remember, in Europe, there was a deal that only allowed the 600 to be distributed by the Orange carrier for the first year.

However, we have seen that GSM 650's do exist, and there are pictures on the website of units that are not blue!
    At & T had just announced they will be offereing th 650 in December....
    I just got off the phone with Sprint tech. support and one guy told me he recieved an email today stating:
    Sprint stores in LA, NY, and SF will have the 650 first on Nov. 1st . I plan on buying the phone out right and will not have to sign a contract as it will be the same network.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    i hope palmone starts selling the unlocked ones at the same times as sprint gets them you think thats going to happpen?
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i hope palmone starts selling the unlocked ones at the same times as sprint gets them you think thats going to happpen?
    0.001% chance that it will happen
    that sucks can you remeber how long it was after the release the 600 before they started selling unlocked 600s? thanks
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

In the UK p1 started selling unlocked t600s a few months after Orange.
    how about in the US becuase i could always get one from best buy or something thank you alot for your help

Guys, 2005 is only 2 months away. If Sprint begins selling it in late November or early December, how much of a head start could they get?

FWIW, I have had zero problems with Sprint here, or in my travels up and down the east coast. My experience with ATTWS and Cingular was terrible. Friends that have T-Mo are complaining all the time. So, I guess it depends on where you live.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Not likely. The strategy is not simply pro-Sprint but pro-CDMA, not to say anti-gsm. The idea is that early adopters who do not require GSM can be enticed to Sprint. It worked with the 600.

While I expect them to try it again, I do not think that it will work as well. The 650, while it fixes the screen problem with the 600, does not have the appeal of the 600. I cannot imagine anyone wanting the 650 enough to change carriers to get it three-six months early. The 650 will sell more like one more phone or even one more smartphone but not like a novel and unique product.
    that sucks can you remeber how long it was after the release the 600 before they started selling unlocked 600s? thanks
    I remember SPRINT had them forever and not until like 3 or 4 months ago did the GSM wagon jump in. I think t-mobile was only a couple of months ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Not likely. The strategy is not simply pro-Sprint but pro-CDMA, not to say anti-gsm. The idea is that early adopters who do not require GSM can be enticed to Sprint. It worked with the 600.

While I expect them to try it again, I do not think that it will work as well. The 650, while it fixes the screen problem with the 600, does not have the appeal of the 600. I cannot imagine anyone wanting the 650 enough to change carriers to get it three-six months early. The 650 will sell more like one more phone or even one more smartphone but not like a novel and unique product.
    I believe they can...Sales show that they sold over 600,000 treo 600s this year, i believe they can double that, if not more, with the treo 650 next year.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    I remember SPRINT had them forever and not until like 3 or 4 months ago did the GSM wagon jump in. I think t-mobile was only a couple of months ago...
    Wrong. GSM units have been out for more than 3 or 4 months and T-Mobile has supported them for close to a year. It is true that they just started selling them in their retail stores a couple of months ago.
  18.    #19  
    I believe the article
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    I guess I shouldn't even mention verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast