1.    #1  
    The 600 was revolutionary. One problem, the quality of it stinks. The 650 is appealing,

I can use a better made device!!!!!!!
    I can use a replaceable battery.
    I can use bluetooth
    I can use a better lit key board and larger keys.
    I can use a better viewed screen in day light.
    I can use a faster blazer.

Bonus: high rez screen, better camera, another year warranty.

Based on the 600 quality, I give it 2 months top before there's another failure of some type and since the warranty is over, the 650 is inevitable. A 600 in a funk without a warranty means a 650. Based on the quality of the 600, many will follow.

What's unfortunate is that the 600 should have been what the 650 is, but blame hs not p1.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/26/2004 at 01:07 AM.
    AGREED!!! finally somebody positive!!!
    All of the stuff hear at TreoCentral and elsewhere around the web states that the "650 is first a phone and then a PDA".

Most of the other devices that rival this device are first a PDA or mini-computer and then phone. Granted it's an expensive phone but for my money I haven't yet seen a PPC Brick or another PalmOS based phone that is "current" that I'd want to carry around.

Without a dobt the 600 was a huge jump from the 300 but let's not forget this is only a "50" bump. It's definitely better than the 600 but it's not that panacea device that some of us (guilty) were hoping it was. It does have flash ram, it does have Hi-res, it does have an improved camera and it does have a lot of other software enhancements and let's not forget BT.

Sure maybe the 650 should have been released last year instead of the 650 and if PalmOne released anything else besides what they did, someone would complain.

I don't think that you can find a current device that's the same footprint and has the keyboard etc that would be as user friendly.

Sprint did announce a new Audiovox unit in PPC format that might be close but it doesn't have wifi either and you have to slide the keyboard out to use it.

I debated most of the morning as to what I was going to do and finally decided to go with a Treo 650 after looking at all of the other devices out there...they were just too big.

This 650 might still be an interim device until a Cobalt unit becomes available next year but at the moment - I think it's a good unit and some of us will upgrade, some won't, some will switch to PPC device and some will continue to complain.

That's ok because it's the American Way and right. It's PalmOne's decision to come out with this device now and if it doesn't work out because they missed the target market well then we'll all be looking to go another way.

But in the land of United Airlines and the pending Delta Airlines bankruptcy's we all still fly those airlines and we'll do the same thing when PalmOne files BK if they really did miss the target?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I'm really impressed with the 650 for what it is, a follow on to the 600. It's not a revolutionary device but a evolution of the 600 line. They seem to have hit all of the shortcomings that I personally had with the 600.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I'm really impressed with the 650 for what it is, a follow on to the 600. It's not a revolutionary device but a evolution of the 600 line. They seem to have hit all of the shortcomings that I personally had with the 600.
    The more I look at the changes to the 650. The more I'm impressed. If the quality is close to the other P1 PDA devices they have winner, and your correct it is an evolution. An evolution toward more features and better quality. I have no doubt this is going to be a great deal better then my 600.
    why is the treo 650 going to be a "better made device"?
    Quote Originally Posted by fluridium
    why is the treo 650 going to be a "better made device"?
    It is thought to be manufactured by HTC.
    RSGMOOSE!! where was the info on the new Audiovox?? I saw it also, but cannot remember where I read it....
    Thanks
    Irv