1.    #1  
    I currently belong with cingular.I want the 650, can I get an att&t 650 and just pop my sim card in it? I basically did this when the treo 600 first came out. It was I think an unlocked gsm treo, and I just read that att&t will be out with the gsm b4 cingular. I just called cingular, and they told me if might work, but they can't guarantee. So I want to go to the experts can it be done? Thanx for any help!!!!
    att always have their treo locked
    just wait a little while and the unlocking solution will be available
  3.    #3  
    so what if I can buy an unlocked gsm phone on ebay like I did with the treo 600, will it work? I want this badly. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg815
    so what if I can buy an unlocked gsm phone on ebay like I did with the treo 600, will it work? I want this badly. Thanks.
    yup, as long its unlocked
    See my web page for info on AT&T's locking policy and locking in general: http://laserphernalia.com/#att

There may or may not be a way to unlock an AT&T Treo 650; it took 6 months before anyone could unlock a 600 reliably. the other issue is that carriers can cripple certain features if they like, so the best way to get a fully functional phone is to wait until a 'generic' one is available. It will be more expensive but from my viewpoint it is well worth it. I have a drawer full of SIMS so that I can have local phone numbers in each geo that I visit (Europe, Asia).
    This is a non-matter. Cingular is acquiring AT&T in November!
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    So, does that mean that Cingular phones are easy to unlock, or that Cingular service is good enough to enter a contract and get a 650?
    still attws is crappy about their unlocking policy
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo
    See my web page for info on AT&T's locking policy and locking in general: http://laserphernalia.com/#att

There may or may not be a way to unlock an AT&T Treo 650; it took 6 months before anyone could unlock a 600 reliably. the other issue is that carriers can cripple certain features if they like, so the best way to get a fully functional phone is to wait until a 'generic' one is available. It will be more expensive but from my viewpoint it is well worth it. I have a drawer full of SIMS so that I can have local phone numbers in each geo that I visit (Europe, Asia).
    well, i believe there will be other method of unlocking the treo 650, trust me
    i've seen it
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    So, does that mean that Cingular phones are easy to unlock, or that Cingular service is good enough to enter a contract and get a 650?
    cingular...i don't think they ever locked their phone anymore, the only problem that you would face is cingular startup, cingular optimized apps....cingular branding...
    t-mobile is the easiest to be unlocked
    jeg815 wanted to know whether he can get 650 from AT&T to work on Cingular. That's why it's a non-matter, because 650 will be available for him Cingular / AT&T.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    jeg815 wanted to know whether he can get 650 from AT&T to work on Cingular. That's why it's a non-matter, because 650 will be available for him Cingular / AT&T.
    well, we still don't know whether the cingular attws merger will make them operate as 1 company with a single line of products offering or they will keep attws brand and business is as usual
  13.    #13  
    thats what the cingular rep told me, she told me she was unsure if the would operate with a single line or keep attws, she sounded like no one has shared news with her about that. I find that odd for cingular which is supposed to be the biggest network with this merger. I hate having to wait,lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeg815
    thats what the cingular rep told me, she told me she was unsure if the would operate with a single line or keep attws, she sounded like no one has shared news with her about that. I find that odd for cingular which is supposed to be the biggest network with this merger. I hate having to wait,lol.
    I got the exact opposite with cingular rep telling me that both networks will be available for the line. He was even able to look up my address on both Cingular and AT&T networks to insure coverage.
    I got the exact opposite with cingular rep telling me that both networks will be available for the line. He was even able to look up my address on both Cingular and AT&T networks to insure coverage.
    trust me, those rep doesn't have a clue what they're saying
    just wait for the final announcement from cingular, whether it will be a single entity or business a usual for them other than the fact that they will be sharing networks

http://www.newcingular.com/

maybe i'm missing something there, care to look around
    I believe that the AT&T Wireless moniker will disapear after the merger, because AT&T wants it back to use themselves. Can I assume everyone knows that ATT WS isn't owned by AT&T? They just licensed the name.