Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just saw this article in CNET and thought let you guys know...

http://news.com.com/Want+a+Treo+650+...3-5425737.html

There maybe still hope of wifi..
    "Asked why the Treo 650 does not include support for Wi-Fi, PalmOne President Ed Colligan said the company will eventually make its add-on Wi-Fi card work with the Treo 650. However, he said the company still has to write drivers to make that possible, meaning Wi-Fi support won't be there when the device launches. "We do plan on bringing that out," Colligan said."

I'll wait till then...
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004

Beat you by 16 minutes

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=60351
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    In another article (posted here I believe) he said it was more complicated than a driver and that the two radios interfered with each other.
  5.    #5  
    Quoting from CNET

"Asked why the Treo 650 does not include support for Wi-Fi, PalmOne President Ed Colligan said the company will eventually make its add-on Wi-Fi card work with the Treo 650. However, he said the company still has to write drivers to make that possible, meaning Wi-Fi support won't be there when the device launches. "We do plan on bringing that out," Colligan said."
    Anyone who has hope of WIFI for the Treo 650 is delusional.

Exibit A:
    The Treo 600 family also adds an SD/SDIO/MMC slot. This slot, located on the top of the device was also found on the Treo 90, and on all current Palm models. It enables the use of SD and MMC media for storage of more programs and MP3 audio or video and SD content cards like dictionaries, or game packs. More importantly it also is SDIO enabled, meaning that it will work with hardware accessory cards like Veo's SD photo card, Margi's SD presenter-to-go, or Sandisk's upcoming Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards.
    Text

That was from the announcment of the TREO 600 -- OVER A YEAR AGO! (Im not even going to cover the box art, and the webpage STILL on the palmone site eluding to the phantom cards from 3rd party providers.)

Bottom Line -- if you want WIFI, get a MDAIII.
    no wifi, no 650, simple as that. for people on the international road it becomes essential if you dont want to burn money. wifi is created by demand, not by the service providers.

I bet that we talk about quite a percentage which will not compromise for not being offered wifi in the first place.

pitty you treo, there was enough time to get that wifi-thingy going.
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004

Not. There appear to be three problems. They are not trivial. One is that there are no i/o drivers to match the function to the ports. The second is that there is not sufficient power delivered to the port to drive a WiFi card. Finally, and most important, WiFi RF signals interfere with the GSM/GPRS or CDMA signal. Any one of these is fatal.
    Someone on this board, better a lawyer, needs to earmark that comment by Colligan and in about a year - sue. Class Action will work because I'm in California and P1 is based in California.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Not. There appear to be three problems. They are not trivial. One is that there are no i/o drivers to match the function to the ports. The second is that there is not sufficient power delivered to the port to drive a WiFi card. Finally, and most important, WiFi RF signals interfere with the GSM/GPRS or CDMA signal. Any one of these is fatal.
    why can others do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    why can others do it?
    because its using micro$oft and not palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Someone on this board, better a lawyer, needs to earmark that comment by Colligan and in about a year - sue. Class Action will work because I'm in California and P1 is based in California.
    Dear lord, I hope you're joking. A class action lawsuit is the last thing pa1mOne needs. I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling financially to compete with Windows Mobile. Plus, I think it's a bit overkill to sue over chrushed dreams.

AND, that was Handspring, NOT pa1mOne. Go ahead, sue the nonexistant company.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Dear lord, I hope you're joking. A class action lawsuit is the last thing pa1mOne needs. I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling financially to compete with Windows Mobile. Plus, I think it's a bit overkill to sue over chrushed dreams.

AND, that was Handspring, NOT pa1mOne. Go ahead, sue the nonexistant company.

Yes joking. Don't forget though that California is the state that allowed that "old" lady to sue McDonalds for getting burned by a cup of hot coffee to the tune of millions.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    To solve the gripe all we need is a small battery powered relay from bluetooth to WiFi.

It would look like the Blue Tooth GPS receiver and would put the WiFi signal away from the cellular xmiter.

This is an easy fix! and we don't need any drivers!

K.I.S.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Don't forget though that California is the state that allowed that "old" lady to sue McDonalds for getting burned by a cup of hot coffee to the tune of millions.
    No - california was the one that allowed a lady using the drive-thru at McDonald's who placed a cup of hot coffee between her legs, THEN spilled it and got burned to sue AND WIN to the tune of millions.

Let's get it right!
    SDIO Wifi ability was promised ON THE BOX of the Treo600. Then later, they release the fact that the Treo600's SDIO slot doesn't have enough power for Wifi or BT.

I don't believe palm1 at all on this one.
    Only a damned fool would buy a Treo 650 in the *hope* that wifi might appear later. I made that mistake last year, not a chance I'll be making that mistake twice.
    http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...ad.php?t=60453

I think it will happen. Ed C. has said it too many times for it to not happen.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Q: No WiFi? Are you Crazy?

A: PalmOne may seem crazy for not having a WiFi solution available, but at least they now seem more open to the idea then they were this weekend. In the press conference, the first question of Ed Colligan was why they did not put a WiFi card in. He replied, "We put things in that we think that are absolutley critical to the device". When pushed for information about adding it later, he said "We do have a wifi card that will work in the SD slot, but we do not have the drivers yet.". He continued to say that PalmOne will be working on it. This is opposite of what Greg Shirai told us in the pre-briefing conference call earlier this weekend. Shirai said that PalmOne will not support a WiFi card for the Treo 650, as it was more complicated than drivers alone. Along with staff from mytreo.net and InfoSync World, I asked Colligan about this discrepancy, He replied that it was a matter of resources, and yes PalmOne will be indeed working on WiFi for the Treo 650. Colligan seemed serious about this, even in spite of the challenges that were demonstrated by Shirai. It will only be a matter of time before something happens.

At Mobile Focus, I ran into a representative from C-Guys. C-Guys spent six months trying to get their 802.11b card working for the Treo 600. They gave up, due to power constraints, and the sheer complexity of trying to get a working driver made for the Treo 600. However, they are now working on an 802.11g card, and have attempted to change the process in which drivers will work. He claims that within a year, we should be seeing some sort for Wifi card, working with at least he 650.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm
    Within a year I'll be looking for the next Treo or other Smart Phone. But maybe it will need a WiFi card also.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast