Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://news.com.com/Want+a+Treo+650%...bj=news.1041.5

"Sprint has cornered the market for this year, scooping up all of PalmOne's capacity until sometime in 2005. The company did not announce exact pricing, but said the device will be available nationwide in mid-November and cost under $500 with some service contracts."

"Asked why the Treo 650 does not include support for Wi-Fi, PalmOne President Ed Colligan said the company will eventually make its add-on Wi-Fi card work with the Treo 650. However, he said the company still has to write drivers to make that possible, meaning Wi-Fi support won't be there when the device launches. "We do plan on bringing that out," Colligan said."

"Colligan pledged that the new device will be more reliable than the Treo 600--which suffered higher-than-expected return rates, due to complaints of various defects."
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    = Garcia said Sprint plans to sell out its inventory of Treo 600s and then phase out the product. =

so much for the line of palm products.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    Garcia said Sprint plans to sell out its inventory of Treo 600s and then phase out the product. =

so much for the line of palm products.
    Yes and No....Sprint will phase out the 600, not P1.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    "Want a Treo 600? Sprint
    Carrier has locked up the hot new PalmOne smart phone until some
    time after the new year."

"Those wanting to get their hands on a Treo 650 this year will need to sign up for service from Sprint PCS."

Oh man! That sucks for us gsm users.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    PLMO is in Sprint's pocket. They bankrolled the Treo 300 and 600 and probably have a sweet deal as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    "...available nationwide in mid-November and cost under $500 with some service contracts."

So a Treo 650 @ $499 after a 2 year contract.

Wonder how much i can sell my t600 for with a warrenty up till 2-25-05
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    So a Treo 650 @ $499 after a 2 year contract.

Wonder how much i can sell my t600 for with a warrenty up till 2-25-05
    Well not really. If you've had your phone for 18 months or more, then you get the $150 discount. You won't get the $150 discount if you are an existing customer who is signing up for 2 year contract (or any length contract for that matter). I was on the phone with Sprint rep for an hour discussing all the options:

New customer + 2 year contract = $150 discount
    Old Customer + had the phone for 18 months = $150 discount
    Old Customer + less than 18 months old phone + any contract = 0 discount
    Don't forget to add: Old Customer asking to speak with account termination = $???
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Don't forget to add: Old Customer asking to speak with account termination = $???
    I tried that dude. I've had Sprint for 6 years, and I told them I'd switch to Verizon, still no joy
    So it can have WIFI! This seems like very good news!!!
    Wonder how much memory those drivers will take up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter

Kirby
    No way Kirby, I would rather wait than use Sprint service. First in line isn't always the best in the end
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    lucky me i let my contract expire a few months ago

thanks to all you informed folks here at treocentral, where there was already plenty of buzz about a new treo, when they called me to see if i wanted to renew my contract, i said "no, i'll wait until the new treo comes out..."
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    No way Kirby, I would rather wait than use Sprint service. First in line isn't always the best in the end
    See, some people bash Sprint and CDMA, while others swear by it. I'm quite confused...

Is it all relative to your calling area? I'm mostly in Northeastern NJ/Central NJ, and only travel during the summers. So, Sprint sucks for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    "Want a Treo 600? Sprint
    Carrier has locked up the hot new PalmOne smart phone until some
    time after the new year."

"Those wanting to get their hands on a Treo 650 this year will need to sign up for service from Sprint PCS."

Kirby

Not that it matters but it might soften the blow....Colligan stated that P1 has sold over 660,000 Treo 600's and over half of those were through Sprint. That's why Sprint is getting preferential treatment.

Colligan also stated that they expect to sell more 650's then 600's eventually......duh! Bluetooth is part of the reason it didn't sell as well at the GSM networks. They will pick up more slack but albeit after the Sprint initial roll out.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Basically you have to ask yourself the following questions:
    Do I get signal at my home?
    Do I get signal at work?

and go with carriers that pass those tests. As for travel, its hard to say. I live in NYC I've travelled with my Sprint phone to Midwest (Saint Louis), West Coast (LA), Texas (Austin), and Hawai (Maui). Ironically, the only place I have had trouble with Sprint reception is upstate New York during snowboarding trips.

Oh, and I almost forgot. My Sprint phone also had reception in New Zealand, but roaming charges are a bit high (No, I'm not a LOTR psycho-geek)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Basically you have to ask yourself the following questions:
    Do I get signal at my home?
    Do I get signal at work?

and go with carriers that pass those tests. As for travel, its hard to say. I live in NYC
    So, I'm guessing Sprint service is good in NYC. Any opinion on the NJ side of the Hudson River? I don't think I have any friends who have Sprint or Cingular to comment. I do have some friends who hate AT&T and can't wait till they can get out of their contracts.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I really hope nobody decides to change carriers just because Sprint is the first to get the 650. Stick with the network that works for you... the 650 will come around to your carrier eventually. Nothing sucks worse than being stuck in a network/contract you don't like for 1+ yrs.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I agree. I am just not a patient person. Perhaps P1 will offer an unbranded 650 at full price through their website.
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Any opinion on the NJ side of the Hudson River? I don't think I have any friends who have Sprint or Cingular to comment.
    I have friends who live in Jersey City and they say Verizon works for them nicely. Not sure about further up. I used to work in Freehold, NJ (more towards center I guess), and the only thing that worked there was AT&T wireless, but that was 4 years ago. Your best bet is probably to ask around people on the path train and what not.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast