Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I live in Passaic County, in NJ (around Routes 3 & 46), and Sprint service is outstanding pretty much anywhere I can drive to within at least an hour. I've driven from here to the Pocono's in PA without dropping my signal once, and the same when driving down to Philadelphia using local side roads that are in the Central region of NJ. Every now and then, you will notice that certain towns have areas where there are dead spots, but once you start asking around, you realize that no one's cell phone works in those spots because of either that town's zoning laws and how they relate to towers, or I've even heard people mention electromagnetic interference. Remember, the great thing about CDMA, whether it be Sprint or Verizon, is that any phone you get can switch from one to the other if it cannot find a signal. I'm not sure how pricing works with Verizon, but I can tell you that with Sprint, there is a $5 add-on that allows you to roam on anyone's CDMA or analog network and still have the minutes deducted from your regular bucket of minutes, without extra long distance charges. I believe they call this the Free-and-Clear America option.

Let me know if you have other questions. I've been with SprintPCS for many years, and have lived/traveled to many cities/states while using their services.
    What ever happened to choice? This just spanks of monopoly on the part of Sprint. By the time T-mobile got T600 the rumours of T650 (aka T610, Ace) were started so I waited some more. Now have to wait again?? I guess stupid me. So I suppose its Sprint or sometime in 2005!
    I really like T-Mobile and would be hesitant to leave. I think I get more talk for my buck with them. $40/mo gets me 1000 anytime, anywhere minutes. I like how flexible they are and never seem to cripple any features like Verizon (and possibly Sprint on the 650 with bluetooth). Also, the fact that GSM has no analog roaming is moot with the Treo since none of these models have analog capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeviceGuy
    What ever happened to choice? This just spanks of monopoly on the part of Sprint. !
    Monopoly is when one company firmly controls the market for a particular good. When a company gets preferential treatment in the distribution of a particular good, i.e. ahead of its competitors its good ol' capitalism at work
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    I agree. I am just not a patient person. Perhaps P1 will offer an unbranded 650 at full price through their website.
    Ther is no way I would sign with SPrint agian in SO Cal. IF the only choice is SPrint, I will go with anothe phone. Sprint has terrible rep in So Cal.
    I live around Portland, OR and with work travel from WY to N and Central CA to Hawaii, with occasional trips to Chicago, Dallas, and Kansas City and have never lost signal with Sprint unless passing through extremely remote areas and mountain passes where you would expect to loose any signal.

I have been extremely happy with their pricing, plans, and coverage for over 5 years now.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    The one good thing about sprint is that you can try it for 14 days to see if you like it before you cancel your current contract with whoever. If not return the phone and end the contract with no termination fees. I did it 2 years ago and stayed with them. I have had great luck with them so far and I travel a lot. I also went from $150 for 1500 minutes no data with Cingular to $85 (and a 25% work discount) for 2000 minutes and unlimited data with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseRPI
    I live in Passaic County, in NJ (around Routes 3 & 46), and Sprint service is outstanding pretty much anywhere I can drive to within at least an hour. I've driven from here to the Pocono's in PA without dropping my signal once, and the same when driving down to Philadelphia using local side roads that are in the Central region of NJ.
    Okay, I work in Hudson County by the Lincoln Tunnel and live down in Middlesex County. I mostly travel in NJ, predominantly along the coast Atlantic City to Alpine and sometimes in upstate NY. Do you think Sprint coverage would be okay?

I have had T-Mobile for over a year, and the reception has been great in NJ except for the Poconos where my cell was dead, but my friend's Verizon cell worked fine. Then there's Exit 15 on the NJ Turnpike where my calls get cut off 80% of the time, but I always figured it was everyone with a cell.
    Anyway, it seems the only way to get a 650 this calendar year will be with Sprint. I just don't want to have to be stuck with horrible service and a pretty Smartphone.

Thanks again for the input...
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Colligan stated...
    I thought it was some Sprint guy who said that stuff.
    I guess to each his own. I travel, and I've had great coverage with Sprint. Plus, anyone read all the messages on this board about being charged like $1,000 for data usage on other carriers (Verizon, I think) by accident? Here are my benefits for Sprint...

-- Unlimited data, whether I'm using WAP or connected to my laptop (yes, they don't like to admit it, but you can use the phone as a modem and I get >300kbps)

-- Data or browsing time does NOT draw from my minutes!

-- I can actually receive a call while I'm browsing, then go back to my browsing when the call is done (yes, there are times - maybe 10% - that the call doesn't hit me but goes straight to VM, but most of the time I get it).

-- For high volume users (1,000 minutes is NOT high volume) with multiple phones, SPCS is less expensive. Yes, it is. I've just toured all the major carriers in consideration of the upcoming T650 release (Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon), and they were ALL more expensive than my current plan with three phones.

Only downside is they have been slow to adopt the phones I want to look at. But in this case, it looks like they'll actually be first. Imagine that.

Cell plans are much like shoes. You have to find the one that fits YOU the best. Coverage, usage, phones, customer service. Check it all out for all the carriers, but in my neck of the woods (Go JAGUARS!!), SPCS rocks...
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Okay, I work in Hudson County by the Lincoln Tunnel and live down in Middlesex County. I mostly travel in NJ, predominantly along the coast Atlantic City to Alpine and sometimes in upstate NY. Do you think Sprint coverage would be okay?

I have had T-Mobile for over a year, and the reception has been great in NJ except for the Poconos where my cell was dead, but my friend's Verizon cell worked fine. Then there's Exit 15 on the NJ Turnpike where my calls get cut off 80% of the time, but I always figured it was everyone with a cell.
    Anyway, it seems the only way to get a 650 this calendar year will be with Sprint. I just don't want to have to be stuck with horrible service and a pretty Smartphone.

Thanks again for the input...
    Anywhere remotely close to the tunnel has great reception... even the entire way through the tunnel, with no signal drop or even reduction. Coverage in Middlesex is good, but occaisonally you will find pockets with no service, but that will be the case for most carriers. Even Nextel has some dead spots in that area. If you're traveling west, anywhere near any county route or highway will have great coverage. If you venture off the beaten path however, you'll have to rely on analog (only digital is available on the Treo 650). Anytime I'm in the Poconos I get great reception, without any signal loss. There is an exit off the turnpike where sometimes my call gets dropped, but I don't remember which one (it was a while ago that I've driven up that far on the turnpike). However, this problem seemed to be related to a tower handoff issue, since as soon as the call was lost, the signal strength would shoot all the way up. My guess would be that they have fixed it by now, but I don't know for sure.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with Sprint as long as you get the Free-and-Clear America option for $5 extra (allows you to roam on Verizon for free). If you combine Sprint's & Verizon's network together, arguably you have the largest network in the USA (just my opinion). If you've never had a Treo before, you'll love the 650; otherwise it may not seem as significant of an upgrade. But think about it... you get great coverage, awesome voice plan for the money, and unlimited data for $15 (and not just that snail's pace GPRS either, but 1xRTT w/ 153 Kb/s burst rates!).

Good luck with your choice, and let me know if you have additional questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    I guess to each his own. I travel, and I've had great coverage with Sprint. Plus, anyone read all the messages on this board about being charged like $1,000 for data usage on other carriers (Verizon, I think) by accident? Here are my benefits for Sprint...

-- Unlimited data, whether I'm using WAP or connected to my laptop (yes, they don't like to admit it, but you can use the phone as a modem and I get >300kbps)

-- Data or browsing time does NOT draw from my minutes!

-- I can actually receive a call while I'm browsing, then go back to my browsing when the call is done (yes, there are times - maybe 10% - that the call doesn't hit me but goes straight to VM, but most of the time I get it).

-- For high volume users (1,000 minutes is NOT high volume) with multiple phones, SPCS is less expensive. Yes, it is. I've just toured all the major carriers in consideration of the upcoming T650 release (Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon), and they were ALL more expensive than my current plan with three phones.

Only downside is they have been slow to adopt the phones I want to look at. But in this case, it looks like they'll actually be first. Imagine that.

Cell plans are much like shoes. You have to find the one that fits YOU the best. Coverage, usage, phones, customer service. Check it all out for all the carriers, but in my neck of the woods (Go JAGUARS!!), SPCS rocks...
    Great post, and I agree completely.. Also, I can confirm those peak 300 kb/s speeds using DSLreports.com. It sounds incredible, but at times it really does get that high. The fastest download that I ever had with consistent data throughput came through at 22 KB/s (and that's kilobytes, not bits!).
    As mentioned before, it depends on where you are using your phone if GSM or CDMA make the most sence.

I used my Treo 600 with ATT in Mexico, Venezuela, Germany, Turkey, and Bulgaria. Except for Bulgaria, the GPRS data sevice worked perfectly so I didn't have to carry a laptop arround with me to do e-mails. I even get my faxes forwarded to my Treo.

I think CDMA is only big in Korea and Japan, the rest of the world is definitively going GSM. Now with ATT and Cingular merging and becoming the largest US carrier you can bet GSM is not going away and will continue to improve.

http://www.attwireless.com/internati...ta_roaming.jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    I tried that dude. I've had Sprint for 6 years, and I told them I'd switch to Verizon, still no joy

Well I'm not going to say you aren't correct but approximately 1 year ago a handful of people where able to use the fact that they were out of contract and had a phone still under manufacturer warranty to their benefit (including myself). Sprint gave this handful of people $400 (the then current price of the T300) towards the purchase of a T600. Combined with a contract renewal credit of $50 to $150, they were able to get a T600 for around $50. So while maybe a long shot, its definitely possible, just depends on who you speak to...
    Well not really. If you've had your phone for 18 months or more, then you get the $150 discount. You won't get the $150 discount if you are an existing customer who is signing up for 2 year contract (or any length contract for that matter). I was on the phone with Sprint rep for an hour discussing all the options:

New customer + 2 year contract = $150 discount
    Old Customer + had the phone for 18 months = $150 discount
    Old Customer + less than 18 months old phone + any contract = 0 discount
    Not exactly true. If you sign up for a new line of service on an existing account you can get the $150.00 discount.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    See, some people bash Sprint and CDMA, while others swear by it. I'm quite confused...

Is it all relative to your calling area? I'm mostly in Northeastern NJ/Central NJ, and only travel during the summers. So, Sprint sucks for me?
    I've seen a two strange phenomenon in the GSM vs CDMA debate.

1- Some people just swear by what they have without ever having tried the "other side". Kind of like politics, whatever someone from "their" party has to be right and what the guy from the "other" party says is dead wrong JUST because he is from the other party.

2- Is it just me or are GSM'ers more likely to be Mac Heads and CDMA'ers more likely to be PC'ers?

I've used AT&T (GSM) and signal strength sucks where I live. I've used Nextel (not sure WHAT they are) and they sucked, currently use Sprint and signal is great and bonus is the data rate is faster.

Don't even get me started on customer service. Cell phone companies are like car dealers, it's their job to try to rip you off and it's your job to not let them!
    (No offense to the 1% of car dealers who are honest-there are some!)
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    Not exactly true. If you sign up for a new line of service on an existing account you can get the $150.00 discount.
    Right, like if you add a second phone to your service and a separate contract for that (like I did for my wife), you'll be able to get up to $150 off the new phone. However if you renew your existing contract or sign up for a new contract Sprint will no longer give you a discount for the phone. They used to, but not anymore.
    Right, like if you add a second phone to your service and a separate contract for that (like I did for my wife), you'll be able to get up to $150 off the new phone. However if you renew your existing contract or sign up for a new contract Sprint will no longer give you a discount for the phone. They used to, but not anymore.
    Since when? About a couple months ago we upgraded my wife's phone and changed plans - we got a $150 rebate (re-upped for a new 2yr contract). According to http://www.sprintrebates.com I'm also still eligible for a rebate on a new phone (hopefully T650) for my old one.
    Except for the graphics, here is the text of an email I received yesterday from Sprint. I will be using mine for the Treo 650.

October 25, 2004

Dear Rees,

At Sprint, we think it's important to recognize our most loyal customers - and you're one of them. To show our appreciation for your dedication, we're offering up to $150 instant savings on the coolest new phones with the newly enhanced Sprint PCS New for You Upgrade Program.

You are already eligible, just print this email and take it to your local Sprint Store by December 5, 2004. Purchase and activate a new Sprint PCS Phone for phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx to receive your instant savings.

Choose from a full line of Sprint PCS Phones.

If you choose a Sprint PCS Vision Phone, sign
    up for Sprint PCS Vision to receive your instant
    savings.

Let us add a new two-year Sprint PCS
    Advantage Agreement.*

This exclusive offer is only available at
    participating Sprint Stores.

For a limited time, you can get Sprint PCS
    Vision free for the first two months! After that,
    it's just $15 each month.

Thank you again for choosing Sprint!

While you're in the Sprint Store, it might be a good time to take another look at your service plan. Our Sprint Communications Consultants can help make sure your plan fits your current needs.

*Instant Savings: Requires a new two-year Sprint PCS Advantage Agreement which will be automatically added to your account when you accept this offer. $150 Early Termination Fee applies. This offer is intended only for above referenced Sprint PCS Phone Number. Savings available on phones with current rebate offers and cannot exceed the total purchase price of phone. Not redeemable for cash and not transferable. Promotional rebate requirements apply. Must be on a $34.99 per month or higher Sprint PCS Service Plan and account must be in good standing. Service Plan is base monthly plan. Add-ons not included. Service credit will appear within the next two invoices. Sprint may change or terminate program at any time. Savings may not be available in all locations. Terms and Conditions apply. Two-month Free Offer: Taxes, surcharges and fees not included. If you do not wish to continue with the service after the initial two months, you must contact us prior to the billing end date of your second invoice to avoid charges. See Sprint Store for more details.

Sprint, the diamond logo design, Sprint PCS Vision and Sprint PCS New For You Upgrade Program are trademarks of Sprint Communications Company L.P. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Sprint Preferences
    KSOPHT0101-Z3300
    6391 Sprint Parkway
    Overland Park, KS 66251-3300

2004 Sprint. All rights reserved.
    Rees
    Quote Originally Posted by Java1Guy
    Since when? About a couple months ago we upgraded my wife's phone and changed plans - we got a $150 rebate (re-upped for a new 2yr contract). According to http://www.sprintrebates.com I'm also still eligible for a rebate on a new phone (hopefully T650) for my old one.
    You are eligible for the reason I named: you had your phone for 18 months or more. Getting 2 year plan will not get you anything unless you are a new customer these days. I'll have to investigate the email that another fella posted here (About the "loyal customer" thing).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast