Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yankees 2004 ALCS :-(
    Hey man, I bought Colecovision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    But we're not talking about successful upgrades. We're talking about things that you can look back and say - "What the heck were they thinking when they dumped money into that product?!? Did they really think that was going to catch on?"

Another example is Adam for Colecovision! I actually know one person who bought that thing. I still mention that to him.
    Palm's all in one internet appliance..remember that one?
    Form ALWAYS follows function ...umm...except in this sentence...
    How about Microsoft's OS named "Bob"...that lasted , oh, around 12 minutes
    For you high end digital camera guys: Olympus E-20 -- Canon D60

Just the screen alone may make it worth upgrading to the 650 though.. It looks absolutely awesome.. And the one camera sample I've seen looks pretty damn good. Like someone else said, no matter how many megapixels you try to squeeze in, these cellphones basically got a pinhole for a lens so you'll never get anything TOO great out of em..

However, my plan is to test drive a PDA2k (I prefer the MS OS to the oldschool seeming Palm) in the store and if it's too big, I'm all over the Treo (I'll deal with Palm). The size is the only prob I see with the Windows device.
    Quote Originally Posted by outz
    Voodoo 6000

Funny

I would say BitBoys
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    For you high end digital camera guys: Olympus E-20 -- Canon D60

Just the screen alone may make it worth upgrading to the 650 though.. It looks absolutely awesome.. And the one camera sample I've seen looks pretty damn good. Like someone else said, no matter how many megapixels you try to squeeze in, these cellphones basically got a pinhole for a lens so you'll never get anything TOO great out of em..

However, my plan is to test drive a PDA2k (I prefer the MS OS to the oldschool seeming Palm) in the store and if it's too big, I'm all over the Treo (I'll deal with Palm). The size is the only prob I see with the Windows device.

Yeah I'd like to take a look at the PDA2k, but i don't want to look like i have a TI graphing calculator on my hip. I'll see what its like soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Ashly Simpson?
    good one
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Another example is Adam for Colecovision! I actually know one person who bought that thing. I still mention that to him.
    That's hysterical! I had a friend from grammar school who bought that crap. Then again, he always managed to pick the loser in new trends...he swore the Betamax would gain dominance over the VCR...LOL.
    So, not everybody likes the Treo 650. So what?
    It may be an incremental improvement, but most of Palm’s successful devices were. Let’s take a look back…
    Palm III – Palm V
    A little more RAM, POS upgrade, and improved form.
    Palm V – Tungsten T
    Again, a little more RAM, POS upgrade, Bluetooth, hi-res screen, different form.
    M1XX – Zire (XX)
    Again, a little more RAM, POS upgrade, thinner form.
    Tungsten T – Tungsten T3
    More RAM, stretchy screen, different form.
    Of course, Palm has had its failures: m125, m130, Tungsten W, Tungsten T2, Tungsten T5, etc…
    But everybody has failures (Windows ME anybody?)
    Give the Treo 650 a chance.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    That's hysterical! I had a friend from grammar school who bought that crap. Then again, he always managed to pick the loser in new trends...he swore the Betamax would gain dominance over the VCR...LOL.
    you mean VHS
    those big video laserdlscs
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    alright, jaguar was bad ***. you knew you were something when you had that. and the saturn was one of the better systems of the 90s.
    I agree it's just an incremental improvement, but it is an improvement, and as a replacement to the 600, it will sell better than the 600 does (at the same price point) due to a few improvements.

Is it the Next Big Thing? Hardly, but that isn't important to almost everyone except us. I just hope that PalmOne doesn't think this is a cutting edge device that deserves a long-term premium price point. They may end up pricing themselves out of the market if they do.

Still, there is no way anyone can argue that the 650 is an inferior product compared to the 600. I think that's just technogeek disappointment speaking, not reality.
    OK all you naysayers, here are the facts...

Every year the auto industry spends ka-zillions of dollars marketing their "fresh new 2004 (insert new model year here) cars and trucks." And yet every year a VW Jetta looks exactly like the VW Jetta from the year before until the manufacturer does a major body restyle which they typically do every 4-6 years? Right? Right.

So when our friends at PalmOne announce a new model of Treo just 12-16 months after releasing the most revolutionary communications tool of our time we SHOULD be looking for a different lower bumper cover and a new spedometer guage, right? Wrong.

Yes, yes...I agree that the PDA/Cell market is different enough with price points and product lifespans that my car analogy might be a bit foggy but ...C'MON.

Here we are with our shiny new 2004 T650 and we have gotten way more than just a new exterior color and that wonderful "new smartphone smell."

kaisersouse
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    --Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
    Geo Metro
    Sega Dreamcast, which was an awsome gaming system. But unfortunately it couldn't handle the wrath of the PS2 and XBox Launch. Hope there isn't a Treo 650 killer in the horizon, for I am looking forward to getting the T650.
    pagers
    that old ericcson phone
    that old Nokia flip phone
    that startac LED phone
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by koche005
    apple ///
    Lisa
    If you had a MINT Lisa now it would be worth serious $$$$ on Ebay. One sold several months ago and, if I remember correctly, it went for several thousand $.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Hey man, I bought Colecovision.
    But I'm sure you didn't buy the ADAM add on unit that turned it into a computer. It bragged about having a "high speed" tape drive instead of a disk drive. Kind of like having an "improved" VGA camera.

Anyone have the Atari Lynx handheld? That flopped too.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast