Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that the 650 has been released, I have a few questions about the Treo Roadshows.

1. Considering that all but the first Roadshow is scheduled to take place post 650 announcement (and there is 2nd show in NYC, which is the only place where the show took place before the annoucement), will there be 650s on hand for inspections, playing with, etc? Would make sense.

2. Is the 50% off a "treo smartphone" deal applicable to the 650 or only the 600 (as we've had confirmed)?

I have no idea if anyone will be able to answer these yet, but I would like to save myself the trouble of going tomorrow to SF's Roadshow if there's no point. Worst case, I can report back on the questions above tomorrow and save someone else some time.
    Last edited by MHR; 10/26/2004 at 03:52 PM.
    I too am anxiously waiting to hear from the SF show attendees. Hope to get the 50 pct discount towards the 650.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    i am going to the boston show no matter if they have 650s or not... it will be a plus if they give you 50% off a 650... but 50% off a 600 is cool too since i believe the price will drop significantly...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  4.    #4  
    I am back from the SF Roadshow with some info.

Feel free to ask questions -- I'll try to answer from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    will there be 650s on hand for inspections, playing with, etc?
    Yes. Plenty of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    Is the 50% off a "treo smartphone" deal applicable to the 650 or only the 600 (as we've had confirmed)?
    $249 for a 600
    $349 for a 650

Only for Roadshow attendees.

These are my notes from the Roadshow. Pretty short -- I forgot a pen and used my Treo instead. This is a cut and paste.

One additional comment: damn those keys are bright!

Treo RoadShow Notes
    (all made real time on Treo 600)

Peter Skillman, head of product design
    - internal antennas being considered
    - regarding wifi. Is voip the need or data? The market will solve. Looking at it closely. But no comment on future products. Battery life is main issue. Email is driving application and it's fast enough now. As need for more bandwidth appears, wifi will be added
    - regarding memory. Power and cost management drive considerations. Streaming access is something that mitigates against carrying items with you. Will be targeted at niche markets.
    - treo is now at the point where it can be targeted to specific markets. How often? No shortage of ideas. Big question is how to sort out what to do. Looking at broadening impact on mobile computing.

Treo Tour, Joe Fabris
    - wifi card WILL work.
    - TreoCentral was one his bookmarks
    - Discount will be on both 600 ($249) & 650 ($349). Limited number, sent in a cue.
    Just ordered the discounted gsm Treo 600 (Cingular). I would have ordered the 650 but only Sprint is availble. Apparently they will be checking email address against a list of attendees, not just those registered.

Interesting presentation, mostly information that is already known. The camera is VGA digital, no flash. The display is bright, someone mentioned (joked) using the Treo 650 as flashlight. RealPlayer is the mp3 player. Comes with full version of Datzviz Documents To Go for editing Word, Excel, Powerpoint files. Ringer Off button was mentioned. Built in sync (Active Sync) with Exchange Server 2003.

Talked about a balance between features and battery power.

As mentioned before, no comments about new product features, but did imply that the 650 would be the first of a Treo familiy.

Commented that some decisions were based on what "carriers" wanted to provide.

That's all I can remember.
    So, is the viennachannels.com webaddress that some people have been saying is probably a scam actually the one they give you at the road show?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mishabel
    So, is the viennachannels.com webaddress that some people have been saying is probably a scam actually the one they give you at the road show?
    Sure is.

If it's a scam, PalmOne is in on it and pushing it. In other words, NO SCAM.
    Here is the coupon. I hope you can read it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Too bad an 11/30/04 expiration date won't be enough time for the GSM version of the 650 to be available for order.
  10. 7ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    Too bad an 11/30/04 expiration date won't be enough time for the GSM version of the 650 to be available for order.
    I was told they would work with customers on the expiration date if GSM phones weren't available by 11/30/04. They said if you requested the phone before then they would honor the demo/discount on GSM even if it shipped later. Unfortunately without the GSM 650 model listed on the website they weren't sure how to order it but promised to contact me regarding it. I called Vienna Channels about it but haven't heard back yet.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ss
    I was told they would work with customers on the expiration date if GSM phones weren't available by 11/30/04. They said if you requested the phone before then they would honor the demo/discount on GSM even if it shipped later. Unfortunately without the GSM 650 model listed on the website they weren't sure how to order it but promised to contact me regarding it. I called Vienna Channels about it but haven't heard back yet.
    Good info... let us know what they say. I'm headed to the 11/16 Road Show in NYC.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ss
    Yeah, I am very interested in this too. I would not nearly feel the pain of the minor upgrade if it was $349. I need GSM.
    For $349 I will pick up a T650 regardless of some of the problems I have with it

Time to find the nearest roadshow...
    I went to PalmOne to register for the Dallas show.

What is the "promo code" that they are asking for? Are the events invitation only?
    I received my Verizon T600 from Viennachannels today. Unfortunately, they won't allow me to trade it in for a T650.
    If you use the drop-down box you can select N/A for the promp code.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva

What is the "promo code" that they are asking for? Are the events invitation only?
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva

I did a search for that on this board and couldn't find anything. I just selected N/A. I signed up for the 1-5 pm show.
    Thank guys!

I used the N/A "promo code" and the site gave back a registration number for me.

See you in Dallas! 1/2 off 650 in the afternoon!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    For $349 I will pick up a T650 regardless of some of the problems I have with it

Time to find the nearest roadshow...
    u kno
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I don't know about you guys, but I think that tying the discount to attendance at a Roadshow is ridiculous and shows no recognition to loyal Treo users. If you recall, when Handspring introduced the 600, there was a loyalty upgrade discount for Treo 270/300 users (I think it was $200 or $300) who purchased via the Handspring website. This makes a heck of a lot more sense to me than the program that Palm is running with the roadshows. I have had my Treo for about a year now (and was able to take advantage of the upgrade program at the time of purchase), but I can imagine how much more upset I would be if I purchased mine in a month or two ago, only to find out that I was have to pay full price to have what is "broken" on my 600 (i.e., outdated screen, no bluetooth, joke for a camera, poor build quality, etc.) fixed.

Is Palmone listening?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast