Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I like the 650 and will get one soon. But as I was reviewing the forums from the pre-Treo 600 release, I realized that most people were complaining about the lack of hi-res/BT/removable battery. If, hypothetically, P1 ever intended to cater to our requests, that's what they would have put on the drawing board for the 650 a year ago. NOW everyone wants WiFi, more RAM and a 1.3 MP camera. If that's ALL they add to a Treo for April 05, there will apparently be riots again, and rightly so. So, if you could tell P1 what you want in the Treo 700, what would the list include, knowing that it will most likely be released spring/fall 05?

My thoughts:
    Cobalt
    Wi-Fi
    Hi-Res+
    More RAM
    EVDO
    1.3MP camera+flash

Give me that and they'll get my $$ again.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Why stop there?

5.0 mp camera
    350 horse power
    convertable
    with all wheel drive???
    add a fusion power to it
    A button-size nuclear cell lasting 50+ years without recharging, and an attachable phaser, set to stun??? Now THAT'S convergence.

Cheers,
    Brady
    The biggest thing I saw in the forums prior to the 650 was alot wanted wifi and more memory. I don't see any features they have that will push me to drop another 500. I will wait for their next phone. You look what some of the ppc are coming out with and you can see the treo 650 is not keeping up with the competitors.
    I want it all and a price of $200.00
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejim02
    I want it all and a price of $200.00
    make the provider actually pays us for using their devices instead
  8.    #8  
    Yes, prior to the 650 release, everyone wanted to know about Wi-Fi and the amount of RAM. But the 650 was most likely set in stone in 2003, after the 600 release, when the major gripes were BT and hi-res. So, on a serious note, if the 700 was going to be set in stone tomorrow, what would you ask for? I think my list in the original post is not too far-fetched.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    See the link in my signature, but change the up/down toggle on the outside phone portion to a D-Pad (I've been meaning to get around to updating my mockup for a while). Other details not immediately obvious in this design:
    1) Outer display would be a color 160x160 pixel standard Palm OS display, inner display would be a Palm OS 480x320 display.
    2) I don't really care about WiFi, so that's not included. Make it an option if you like.
    3) Decent quality flash with the camera. Decent camera optics. 1.3MP tops - I don't need more and the bigger the files, the longer it will take to wirelessly send them. I want good optics, not more megapixels with crappy optics. Put the camera on a slide-out (a la Handspring Springboard II) cartridge so that they can have one phone design to accommodate people who don't want (or can't have due to work security concerns) a camera. Plus, this module space could be used for other alternatives (e.g., springboard WiFi module, extended battery, etc.).
    4) Built-in GPS or at least API access to the 911 GPS system. I really think that always having a GPS on your person is the next "always having wireless data" or "always having a camera." When you take a picture, it would log not only the date/time you took it, but also where you took it. You could transmit your coordinates to someone on the other end of your phone call, or have it wirelessly transmit your coordinates to your spouse at set intervals so that they know that you're safe. Give one to your child to keep with them all the time so that you can keep track of their location (once they become a pre-teen, they'll learn to shut that feature off).
    5) Priced affordably (under $200) so that you can afford to get one for every member of your family.
    6) Snap-on faceplates to change colors. And with everyone in your family owning one, you'll need to know whose is whose.
    7) Son of PQA. Revive this technology and update it to support all the media rich functionality and GPS stuff. Release a RAD development tool which allows average users with little to no programming experience to create their own applications.

As with much of the above, I can probably think of a bunch of other interesting things which, from a hardware perspective, could have all been done a year ago, but which may require some creative software development.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    It will have to be better than whatever replaces the PDA2K.
    Take the 650:
    1 More memory (at least 64, prefferably 128MB)
    2 Internal Antenna
    3 Colbalt
    5 WiFi
    6 I can dream, but how about an OLED display instead of LCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    My thoughts:
    Cobalt
    Wi-Fi
    Hi-Res+
    More RAM
    EVDO
    1.3MP camera+flash

Give me that and they'll get my $$ again.
    I'll add to these, the following:

- internal fm tuner (or tuner with SDIO card)
    - TV tuner
    - video output

give me these and you'll get a clean 1500$ from me
    EV-DO is a data only (hence the DO vs. EV-DV (Data/Voice)) standard I believe, why does everyone want it?
    I also believe that I've read that the new connector (shared with T5) supports video out. Imagine a full-sized KB/Screen (or 800x600 at least) that has a spot for your Treo to plug into. That could alleviate the need for me to carry my laptop 90% of the time.
    One button voice memo. 60-90 seconds
    All I want is a cellphone with a phreaking laser. Is that too much to ask?
    Visorphone>T180>T600>T650
    World Wide Push-To-Talk (as fast & reliable as Nextel)
    Wi-MAX (Wi-Fi will be obsolete by then)
    EV-DO
    640x640 resolution
    128MB RAM
    10 Hrs Talk Time
    Rotating 1.3 Mpx Camera w/ Flash (better auto light correction)
    Even Better Keyboard Design
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    -Cobalt
    -Bluetooth 1.2 or whatever the latest profile is by that time
    -Skip the WiFi...instead I want WiMax!
    -Skip the keypad too...I'd rather have 320x480 portrait/landscape mode & software keypad/graffitti2 (like the Cobalt slides show)
    -I like the flash memory...but should be AT LEAST 256, same as the current T5
    -Camera with really good optics and low light ability...1.3 MP would be great, but clarity is the most important
    -Internal antenna
    -and release to ALL the carriers and unlocked GSM from palmOne all at the same time!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by olavf
    All I want is a cellphone with a phreaking laser. Is that too much to ask?
    whatis a phreaking laser ?
    I have a green laser pointer(http://www.greenlaserforum.tk); will that do ?

treos are famous along w/ blackberries are because of the keyboard. it allows stylus-less usage of the device and onehanded operations of the device. why do you think most of the PPC devices never caught on but the blackberries and treo600s sell like mad to the general public? (the general public who can afford those devices)

i think a slide keyboard may be the answer here to increase screen space and keep the semi-compact design of the device. frankly i can't think of any other design that can top the slider.

the next version of the ppc6601/6600 can very well be 480x640 and yet still keep the same format while the partial screens of the palm treo line may be hitting the physical limits of human eyes if you raise it beyond 320x320 in its current shape+form.

a design that a friend of mine and I talked about 6 months ago was a slider that slides out horizontally -> keyboard slides out right. so you'd have a phone normally (w/o the keyboard) and when you want to use the keyboard, you turn the phone sideways. the screen would automatically adjust its orientation if the keyboard slides out. this will allow you to have more physical screen space and yet have a larger keyboard than either the current treo 600/650 and the PPC6601 since the keyboard will be able to have 1) more keys, 2) bigger keys, 3) bigger space between individual keys

something of a combination of features from the PPC6601 and the sidekick series.

Quote Originally Posted by paris
    -Cobalt
    -Bluetooth 1.2 or whatever the latest profile is by that time
    -Skip the WiFi...instead I want WiMax!
    -Skip the keypad too...I'd rather have 320x480 portrait/landscape mode & software keypad/graffitti2 (like the Cobalt slides show)
    -I like the flash memory...but should be AT LEAST 256, same as the current T5
    -Camera with really good optics and low light ability...1.3 MP would be great, but clarity is the most important
    -Internal antenna
    -and release to ALL the carriers and unlocked GSM from palmOne all at the same time!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast