Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I agree that the wi-fi furor is a whole bunch of beeyotching over nothing. This isn't a PDA - it's a smartphone with WIDE area connectivity.
    Ummm, last I checked part of the definition of a smartphone is a combo of phone and PDA capabilities. Definitions vary, but you'd have to admit it's something close to that.

I have had a Palm for a long time now. I've been a member here forever. To say that I am very fond of Palm is an understatement. However, PPC is catching up to the Treo and the lack of wifi personally limits what I want to be able to do a lot. I'd trade the camera, hi-res, and bluetooth for wifi no questions asked. I realize I'm in the minority here. My complaining is in hopes that Palm sees this has to be their #1 priority. At the very least, they should come out with a clear statement instead of having two people give conflicting statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    Seriously...Can I please get in my car, TRAVEL to a hotspot, and then PAY another service provider to get faster data. DUDE, its a CELL PHONE...you know? Make calls, page people...its not supposed to be your computer. I think its pretty great that you get all these BONUSES as well...contacts, datebook, BLUETOOTH!!!! What's even better, is you ALREADY get data service with internet connection. THAT'S FLIPPIN AMAZING!!!!!!
    Bluetooth is useless to me and everyone I know. No one I know has a single bluetooth device. That said, I respect the people that do use it. I recognize it's a useful feature to them.

I would like people to recognize that a lot of people on these boards have wifi at home, work or both. Thus, there's no travelling to get to a hotspot. I'm typing from one right this minute. And it's not costing me a dime more than I'd usually pay for my home internet connection. So no traveling, no paying, but yes, I'd get faster data. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Maybe P1 is waiting for Wimax
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    IMO, there is no "ultimate" phone/pda/smartphone/combo/whatchamacalit. Tech will evolve, opinions/wants/needs will change. Stop *****ing and make a choice if you can't wait: buy t650? move to PPC? go back to separate devices for specific needs? The t650 is a done deal, finito, kaput, and no amount of wailing will change it. P1 may be wrong, or not. PPC may overtake, or not.
    The Treo 650 isn't necessarily a done deal when it comes to wifi, hence why people are still talking about it. People forget that there's a wifi card that Palm makes. The only complaining I'm doing is for Palm to make it work or tell me that I will have to wait to the next generation.

As it is now one palm exec says that wifi is impossible and another says it's coming. So it's hard to make a decision based on that. So is the answer to move to PPC? I don't want to have move all my apps at a high cost and learn a new OS. What if I begin the switch to the new OS (which in my opinion doesn't seem to be as strong, plus the hardware form factor isnt quite there) and the next week PalmOne comes out with the wifi? Well then I've spent about a lot of money and time that is wasted.

Hence I'm in a no-win situation when it comes to wifi. This can be ended if Palm takes the week or whatever to port the drivers from their other devices to the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    They also said that the Treo 600 would have wifi support via sd slot, never happened did it?
    Exactly, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice and shame on me.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    So is the answer to move to PPC? I don't want to have move all my apps at a high cost
    This was a problem for me when I switched to PPC over this issue (and the poor build quality of the treo 600), but I found many of the programs I used also had PPC versions available, some developers gave me free cross-grades others charged a minimal fee (usually less than their upgrade price).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I'm not too thrilled about the wifi-on-a-stick solution that might or might not work on the 650. With the 650's limited memory, I want that SD slot for an SD card, not a wifi card. Also, something tells me that the seamless transition between wifi and GPRS that you can get with the PDA2K, won't happen with wifi-on-a-stick. My guess is, we won't get that until P1 releases its first Cobalt phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I'm not too thrilled about the wifi-on-a-stick solution that might or might not work on the 650. With the 650's limited memory, I want that SD slot for an SD card, not a wifi card. Also, something tells me that the seamless transition between wifi and GPRS that you can get with the PDA2K, won't happen with wifi-on-a-stick. My guess is, we won't get that until P1 releases its first Cobalt phone.
    Good points. I guess I'm willing to deal with wifi-on-a-stick as a short term solution. I can understand why Palm wouldn't have built-in wifi at this point, but I think a fair compromise would be wifi on a stick. Sure it wouldn't switch data on the fly, but at least when I was at home or work, I know I could get wifi and invoke it, but inserting a card and being done.

I don't mind losing the SD card slot and applications on there as for the most part I think I'd be dealing with the browser and maybe an application to stream audio over wifi. There might be a few other applications, but I could probably keep the few that really take advantage of wifi in the main memory. At least I hope I could, but you never know with Java taking up something like 3MBs.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123