Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richlux
    Exactly! So why in the world would Sprint or any other carrier want you to use VOIP instead of their airtime? It's not in their best interest to want Wi-Fi in a cell phone.
    If you were T-Mobile and were a wifi vendor, then you might do it - for example the HP 6315 that T-mo offers (GSM, GPRS, bluetooth, wifi). You pay them anyway for ALL the voice minutes each month and if you choose to use VOIP, them charge you for wifi connection.
    Seriously...Can I please get in my car, TRAVEL to a hotspot, and then PAY another service provider to get faster data. DUDE, its a CELL PHONE...you know? Make calls, page people...its not supposed to be your computer. I think its pretty great that you get all these BONUSES as well...contacts, datebook, BLUETOOTH!!!! What's even better, is you ALREADY get data service with internet connection. THAT'S FLIPPIN AMAZING!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    Seriously...Can I please get in my car, TRAVEL to a hotspot, and then PAY another service provider to get faster data. DUDE, its a CELL PHONE...you know? Make calls, page people...its not supposed to be your computer. I think its pretty great that you get all these BONUSES as well...contacts, datebook, BLUETOOTH!!!! What's even better, is you ALREADY get data service with internet connection. THAT'S FLIPPIN AMAZING!!!!!!
    Want to know somthing even MORE AMAZING!!! You can get ALL those features and about TWICE more with another product!!! And its the SAME PRICE. Getting the PICTURE YET?

Can you hear me now?
    Is anyone actually using VOIP on a WiFi connected device? I have a 3MB cable internet connection at home and I can't stand the delay and quality of VOIP. I was using PC Phone. If Palm writes those drivers how would people use VOIP on a device like this?
    www.skype.com

It is simply phenomenal. I speak to my friends overseas all the time. No lag whatsover. And it's FREE!!!!
    JOV3, think outside your envelope Think airports, think trains .. hotels, train stations, McDonalds, gasstations. Think international cellphone roaming charge savings that in 5-6 hours can amount to the (unsubsidized) cost of a Treo 650!! True, hotspots are spotty .. and that's exactly why the cell/wifi combo is a killer device. Obviously not in the best interest of the cell phone companies, though. So Maybe .. Treo 650 for the cell phone economy and Treo 650w for the rest of us. Or Handspring 2. Or PPC is really going to win this .. one way or the other.
    All im sayin is i cant wait to start 2thing... whos with me?
    Colligan is stating that P1 will write drivers for the WiFi card to work on the 650. So there is no reason to cry about no WiFi.
    no one's crying. it's just that not everyone has access to plans for unlimited data access packages. in malaysia data access is expensive! just keeping up with the forum here on my treo cost me 500 ringgit last month (us 130.00). it's just inconvient for me to keep up with this forum from my desktop. While every restaurant & coffee shop downstairs provides free wifi. I just can't use it! wifi is my priority. for others it's the camera or memory. everyone has their grouse.
    just my 3.00 ringgit worth.
    Banoo... what's that smell?
    i've decided to go with the T3 or zire for multimedia and internet (got wifi via card) and get the 650 for a phone and organizer and reader and gaming and... damn there's still a lot the treo can do. IT IS A DAMN FINE PHONE!! sniff sniff.
    IMO, there is no "ultimate" phone/pda/smartphone/combo/whatchamacalit. Tech will evolve, opinions/wants/needs will change. Stop *****ing and make a choice if you can't wait: buy t650? move to PPC? go back to separate devices for specific needs? The t650 is a done deal, finito, kaput, and no amount of wailing will change it. P1 may be wrong, or not. PPC may overtake, or not. Doesn't matter. Go with what will put your mind at ease. Do not justify your choice, coz it's yours to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    BLASPHEMY!!
    Calling the Treo a CELL PHONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    IMO, there is no "ultimate" phone/pda/smartphone/combo/whatchamacalit. Tech will evolve, opinions/wants/needs will change. Stop *****ing and make a choice if you can't wait: buy t650? move to PPC? go back to separate devices for specific needs? The t650 is a done deal, finito, kaput, and no amount of wailing will change it. P1 may be wrong, or not. PPC may overtake, or not. Doesn't matter. Go with what will put your mind at ease. Do not justify your choice, coz it's yours to make.
    Right on! Totally agree
    ...but you know people are going to keep complaining
    Crappy camera...... a marketing strategy to cut costs and move more future products??
    IMO, P1 made that last min. decision to offer a crappy camera for two main reasons:
    - cut costs
    - entice consumers with another model so as to keep their products moving, in other words, they want to ensure sales of future models.

However, if this is true, then I think a lot of P1 loyalists might just decide to abandon ship because we feel cheated. Besides, it's so short sighted of them not to recognize the fact that it won't take long for one of the big brands to come up with the ULTIMATE convergence smartphone, with palm os or ppc! This is particularly important to Asian markets such as Hong Kong where consumers hv access to new and higher tech pdas / phones almost everyday. The low res is SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE to a lot of consumers here because all of their friends or biz contacts wd laugh at the sight of such a "low tech" device!!!

The bad thing is so many marketing people remain short sighted just to please their bosses......... Just my 2 cents!

That was exactly my analysis in another thread I posted today. Glad at least someone is smart enough to see my viewpoint!!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    "it won't take long for one of the big brands to come up with the ULTIMATE convergence smartphone"

Uh that's what people have been saying for 5 years. The truth is it's a LOT harder than anyone imagined.

Hell, just getting a decent PDA took 10 years. Look at the number of failed devices before and after the original Palm, the road to the "ultimate" is littered with roadkill.

Remember, the majority of these phones are sold TO CARRIERS, not directly to end users. SO carrier needs are primary in the product development roadmap, and obviously, the carriers felt that Bluetooth, removable battery and improved screen were the primary design objectives for the 650.

Most carriers are just now rolling out true highspeed networks, so the low pixel camera and no WiFi are benefit not a drawback for thier networks. Because they can sell a propreitary data access on their own network and improve thier average revenue per customer. Only T-mobile has an incentive to sell a WiFi enabled phone today.

I don't understand why everyone wants to say Palm is falling behind, they still have the best converged phone/pda combo available, even before the 650.

Palm is the best platform, hands down (or one handed), for PDA functions:
    Calendar, Scheduling, Contact Management, To Do Lists, etc.
    The cell phone integration is the best out there, I've tried tons of devices and none have outperfomed the treo series.

Sure PPC is nice for multimedia, but I've had a PPC with WiFi, vga output, CF and SD for several years. Cool toy, but it's never been able to replace my palm for everyday use. The applications, integration and ease of use are just better on a Palm.

I still don't understand the demand for WiFi on the phone, that' s what I use GPRS for now. It's unlimited and costs $20 a month, I don't need WiFi to check email, do a bit of web surfing or checking sports scores. If there is something that requires true high speed access, I duck into a hotspot and pull out my laptop, cause it's obviously something that needs a big screen and full size keyboard anyway. Kinda hard to re-work a large spreadsheet or powerpoint on a small screen anyway. . .

It's not just features that drive the smartphone market, it's integration and ease of use. Palm has corrected the majority of issues 600 users had with the device.
    Screen Size, Removable Battery, Better Keyboard, Bluetooth, etc.

With the new versions of the OS around the corner, I'm certain they will produce a device to highlight these capabilites and it will include WiFi if the carriers WANT it included.
    How about streaming audio over wifi? Its soo fantastic. Pretty soon you will have whole metro areas where there is 100's of hotspots chained together. For example, here in Mid-town Manhattan there is a verizon hotspot almost no matter where you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by JawsNJ
    Get unlimited access and stop with the wifi nonsense. Its a phone not a rocket ship...

Love it for the things it has not the things it is missing.

Just think, if P1 put EVERY feature into this new model, what would they have to sell us in another six months???

AH, it makes more sense now doesn't it?
    If they have a top of the range model that has all the features they want, then they'll just keep selling them to people who haven't already got one. In 6 months they should offer something we currently haven't thought of, or improve on what we currently think is the best it can be.

Fair enough to have a cut down model (ie. the Treo 650) but make a fully featured model available to those that want it.
    Quote "that' s what I use GPRS for now. It's unlimited and costs $20 a month"

Boy, aren't some people lucky!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    "it won't take long for one of the big brands to come up with the ULTIMATE convergence smartphone"

Uh that's what people have been saying for 5 years. The truth is it's a LOT harder than anyone imagined.

Hell, just getting a decent PDA took 10 years. Look at the number of failed devices before and after the original Palm, the road to the "ultimate" is littered with roadkill.

Remember, the majority of these phones are sold TO CARRIERS, not directly to end users. SO carrier needs are primary in the product development roadmap, and obviously, the carriers felt that Bluetooth, removable battery and improved screen were the primary design objectives for the 650.

Most carriers are just now rolling out true highspeed networks, so the low pixel camera and no WiFi are benefit not a drawback for thier networks. Because they can sell a propreitary data access on their own network and improve thier average revenue per customer. Only T-mobile has an incentive to sell a WiFi enabled phone today.

I don't understand why everyone wants to say Palm is falling behind, they still have the best converged phone/pda combo available, even before the 650.

Palm is the best platform, hands down (or one handed), for PDA functions:
    Calendar, Scheduling, Contact Management, To Do Lists, etc.
    The cell phone integration is the best out there, I've tried tons of devices and none have outperfomed the treo series.

Sure PPC is nice for multimedia, but I've had a PPC with WiFi, vga output, CF and SD for several years. Cool toy, but it's never been able to replace my palm for everyday use. The applications, integration and ease of use are just better on a Palm.

I still don't understand the demand for WiFi on the phone, that' s what I use GPRS for now. It's unlimited and costs $20 a month, I don't need WiFi to check email, do a bit of web surfing or checking sports scores. If there is something that requires true high speed access, I duck into a hotspot and pull out my laptop, cause it's obviously something that needs a big screen and full size keyboard anyway. Kinda hard to re-work a large spreadsheet or powerpoint on a small screen anyway. . .

It's not just features that drive the smartphone market, it's integration and ease of use. Palm has corrected the majority of issues 600 users had with the device.
    Screen Size, Removable Battery, Better Keyboard, Bluetooth, etc.

With the new versions of the OS around the corner, I'm certain they will produce a device to highlight these capabilites and it will include WiFi if the carriers WANT it included.
    Thank you. You understand the market, the products,and the level of technology available now. This is a 3 headed monster ( Phone-PDA-PPC, the carrier and the software ) and everyone is trying to make their money. We are the customer and our wants and needs are dependant on how much the 3 headed monster can make. Plain and simple.
    Hi -
    I am trying to decide on the best & cheapest connectivity available. I want an i-Mate PDA2K.....but can't figure out which is better - the GSM version (which has wi-fi) or the brand-spankin' new PDA2K EVDO (3G) (which does not have wi-fi).

I live in central NJ, work near Philly, and am getting my grad degree in NYC.

Can anyone help?!?

Also - I cannot find the EVDO model for sale ANYWHERE!!!! (FYI - I am quoting the following passage because I have checked expansys's website and they are not currently showing the EVDO model.)

Thanks for your help guiding me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rashe30
    Well sorry to say I had to go with a better line than the 650. The Imate PDA2K was a much better product by far than the 650. Yes it is bigger in all aspects and more $, but then again you get what you pay for. Wifi is a big if for some people just not me it is a must, with broadband at home, work and most pleases I go and as somone already said VOIP is a big plus expecially if it is free for world wide calling. One plus to the PDA2K over the 650 is it is non carrier branded. Can be used with any GSM provider worldwide with out the 2 years contract to save a $100, not to mention IMO Windows MObile 2003 SE PE is far superior to POS in every aspect, but as I just said matter of opinion. Sorry but I have a hard time paying that much money for a converged device where a carrier is gonna dictate to me,"The Customer", what features they are gonna offer on my device and I can only use it with them. I had my 600 for a long time then went to Ipaq h6315, what a pos that thing is. Nice device, bad features, and poor design. Then to the XDA II. Big difference, great device. Best of all the PDA2K / XDA III / MDAIII. All the above features plus lots more. By the way EVDO supported CDMA model expandsys.com UNLOCKED FOR SALE. Or in other words known as the "Daxian PPC6600" everyone is waiting for on Sprint. And yes it does support EVDO, Don't know about the model you will be able to get from Sprint but this one has it.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Colligan is stating that P1 will write drivers for the WiFi card to work on the 650. So there is no reason to cry about no WiFi.
    They also said that the Treo 600 would have wifi support via sd slot, never happened did it?

P.S. Regarding EVDO PDA2k, I don't believe this version of the PDA2k is going to be available this year!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast