View Poll Results: Are You Still Buying Treo 650?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I changed my mind.

69 23.47%
  • Maybe

81 27.55%
  • Yes, I am.

144 48.98%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'll be a proud Treo 650 owner as of Nov 14th. Not a bad choice for my 1st PDA ever, huh?
    Sprints employees only get 15% off of products at FULL PRICE while customer get instant savings and rebates, so who's really getting screwed?
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    If I decide to upgrade to the T650, I'll go with unlocked GSM at T-Mobile.
    We are going to have a great time here speculating about when that might happen. The odds are that you are a great deal younger than I.
    I'm a lil skeptical (did i spell that right) as well about the reliability on the device. I find it interesting that they actually acknowledged the problem of reliability:

Colligan pledged that the new device will be more reliable than the Treo 600--which suffered higher-than-expected return rates, due to complaints of various defects.

"Some things could have been done better, no question about it," he said, but noted that the company has moved to a new manufacturer. The Treo 650 is being made by HTC--the same company that makes many of the HP iPAQs as well as many of the phones running Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarinu
    I will not be buying one because I'm disappointed with the specs, but because I've spend $1000 on Treo's already... $600 for the 300, $400 for the 600 and have had a total of 9 Treo's used and new through the life of the 2 models.

I had 5 Treo 300's, and was on my way to the 6th when the 600 was released. Sprint REFUSED to upgrade me to the new model so I gave in and purchased it. I'm already on my 4th 600, 2 had the Signal drop issue, and the 3rd the speaker died. I'm not with a refurb that's in the middle of the units with the signal drop issue and it's started to happen already. My 2nd unit started doing it the day after I got it, by the end of the week I could not even place a phone call while it was plugged in.

So, I say... Why would I purchase the 3rd iteration of this device? Because 3rd times a charm? Don't think so! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! I will not be purchasing a Treo 650 for that reason along.

Now before anyone says I mishandle my Treo, I've never been denied a swap because of water damage, scratches or any other obvious abuse. it always fails diagnostics. In fact, on of my Treo 300's I brought in to Sprint the week I got it in the mail just for fun and had them run diagnostics. It failed! Surprised? I was not! I keep my phone in a leather holster on my belt and have never abused it. Perhaps I've been unlucky, but it's to much to bother with a new one!

The only way I'll have a Treo 650 is if Sprint gives me one and I doubt that will happen but when I take #4 in for failure, I will not be getting #5! I am saddened by this because I love my Treo! It's an awesome device that has some hardware issues that make it not work the $600 purchase price to me.

Best of luck to those that spend the money on it!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  4.    #44  
    I have high hopes because PalmOne used HTC this time.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    I have high hopes because PalmOne used HTC this time.
    HTC produces top notch products
    ditto
    I'll definately be getting the 650 when it comes out.. and I've only owned the 600 for about a month now (got it NIB off ebay). Going to put it back up on ebay, renew my contract with the 650 and get the discount, so the overall upgrade price won't be too bad.

I'm hooked on my Treo 600, and more organized than I've ever been! Since the 650 will be even better, I will have no reservations to upgrading to the best Treo out there. No sense in whining about what the 650 isn't, it's not going to make it better!!

I was dissapointed in the camera, but it's not a big deal for me... Sure, it would be nice to have the 1.3 meg camera, but I've never reallly used any of my camera phones for the camera (I had the very first Sprint camera phone a few years ago).
    no wifi option no buy
  9.    #49  
    bump... just in case some people haven't voted yet.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    NOTHING is holding me back...
    No, if I didn't have a 600 then probably but as I do then no discount, no wifi, crap camera - no deal.
    Nope not upgrading...yet. I bought the 270 when they released 600 and I just bought a 600 since they're releasing 650.
    my 600 is on the out... i'm getting the 650. great phone! enough bells and whistles for a phone. i'm palm os and would never ever think of switching uh uh!

no wifi? i'll get a zire/ T3 for that and my multimedia needs. no sweat. FEEL THE GLORY!! YES INDEED!!
    Banoo... what's that smell?
  14.    #54  
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Not a big deal. Just do not buy the 650 and you can afford a lot of service. I wish it was an option for me on the T-Mobile.
    It's not that $60 is a lot of money over a year, it's just annoying that a "top of the line" phone is missing such a basic feature.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    How? Did you get the part about the new connector?
    I don't know how. I thought it was odd too. But that is what the rep at the store told me. (He could, of course, be mistaken.)
    For all those not buying for what it lacks, call me on my Treo 650 when your "Holy Grail" of smartphones comes out. My bad, you'll probably have to call me on my Treo 1800 by the time that happens.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstyle
    For all those not buying for what it lacks, call me on my Treo 650 when your "Holy Grail" of smartphones comes out. My bad, you'll probably have to call me on my Treo 1800 by the time that happens.
    Perhaps. On the other hand, I do not have to jump every time P1 says jump. I have never liked the tone of their voice in any case.

I am not buying because of what it lacks so much as because it is not competive with my 600 and because the problems that it solves are not the ones that I have.
    nope, sorry this is evolution and I've only owned this one for 9 months, that and who the hell uses cdma, gsm is the only viable solution for anyone who travels.

I do like the outlook server active sync capabilities as I run my own sbs 2003 exchange at home and hate having to use text oma so would be interested to see how I can get this runnign on my 600 but apart from that I'll stick with what I've got.

Dean
    At this point the question is pointless if you're on GSM. Ask again in 4 months when the Treo 650 will actually be available. Since Sprint has managed to get all of the manufacturing capacity for their phones, the GSM one's won't even be available until Feb., and even then I bet there will be a waiting list like there was for Treo 600.

My point being that non-Sprint users have a lot of time to still wait and decide.

With that I keep going back and forth. As of today I'm still a 'no'. But I know myself, if I obsess over the decission for this long, it means I'll probabally end up getting if I can afford two of them (yes, if I get one, my wife will want one also) when they're available.
    By then, there may be a lot of new information and offerings to aid with the decission.
    Since I already sold my phone to upgrade.....I was a certain YES....until I saw the confirmed specs.

So now my answer is YES I am upgrading but to the 650 or PPC-6600?

Here is my dilema: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=1&pp=40
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast