View Poll Results: Are You Still Buying Treo 650?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I changed my mind.

69 23.47%
  • Maybe

81 27.55%
  • Yes, I am.

144 48.98%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I didn't upgrade from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600 and later regretted not getting in on the upgrade discount. At the time I was hoping that the competition would release something more like what I really wanted (see the link in my sig if you haven't already) within a few months or so. Well, it never happened. palmOne had the best smartphone around with the Treo 600 not because it was so spectacular but because the competition sucked so bad. And here we are a year later and palmOne can continue to laugh all the way to the bank with this profit-bloated 2nd iteration, once again because the competition still hasn't figured out something so simple as to pair a thumbboard with a rich OS with a vibrant developer community (whether it be Palm OS, PPC OS, or Series 60).

So, as much as part of me thinks that Nokia or some Palm or PPC player is likely going to finally do the obvious and release something more to my liking and at an affordable price in the next few months, I think I've suffered long enough and will likely grit my teeth and shell out top dollar for one of these 650's. But I won't be happy about it and you can expect me to be a vocal complainer about things in the months to come.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Since I am going from a Palm m515 (with BT card) and an old bluetooth enabled phone (Motorola 270c), I am looking to upgrade. The only REAL disappointment is the possibility of no WIFI (come on...not even SD card?...Write the driver already!!!!). So yes, I'm going for it (if I can get out of my Verizon contract!).
    I'm actually considering it, when before I didn't think I would get it at all.
    Still a little undecided between going with the 650 or now picking up a 600 for cheap. I still have a samsung I300 (over 3 yrs). I held off on the 600 due to some of the quality contro issues and lack of removable battery. (BT and camera are nice, but not requirements for me) It seems like the quality of the NEW units have gotten better. I have talked w/ several people I've seen around carrying a 600 and not personally heard anyone tell me they had a problem. So now a 650 for $500 or so, versus a 600 for $275 or so? My current contract is up in Jan, so I will probably wait until that time anyway and see what people are saying then.
  5.    #25  
    At first, I was just as disappointed as most people. However... after reading / watching reviews, articles, postings, etc., I feel better about the device.

I know that 0.3 megapix cam doesn't excite people, but it has auto lighting correction to handle low lighting condition. That's my most complaint for all phone cams.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe we shouldn't cast too much judgement solely based on what's on paper. We should read more testimonials, and get our little hands on it before we jump to conclusion about the product.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    I'm buying, as soon as PalmOne sells the unlocked GSM version.
    Lots of luck. History suggests that will be after Christmas and at a premium.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Lots of luck. History suggests that will be after Christmas and at a premium.
    I can wait.
    I'm still hopeful that I can get one sometime soon...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I am buying the GSM unlocked version!
    Yes, unlocked GSM, NO CAMERA if possible. Still using Vx.

WiFi would have been nice, but it might have pushed the price too high and for most PDA applications Bluetooth seems the appropriate technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR
    Since I'm still on my Treo 300, I'll be upgrading.
    ditto, though since my 300 still works fine, i'll wait for the dust to settle...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    which ever is first, an unlocked gsm or t-mo. t-mo is great at unlocking the phone.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    which ever is first, an unlocked gsm or t-mo. t-mo is great at unlocking the phone.
    Please do not hold your breath. They are playing the Sprint game again.
    32MB would be great if it was 2001. But it's almost 2005 so no Treo 650 for me. No Wi-fi is also totally unacceptable. What planet are they on over at Palm1? Also too bad the camera is such low res but I never use mine because the T600 one is so poor. Examples shown of the 650 camera aren't much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Hopefully- selling my 600 on ebay=$300 + $200 upgrade from palm= $100 650 )
    I won't hold my breath.
    This is the only way I will upgrade right now also.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I called the PalmOne store today. They told me that the Treo 650 will also lack voice dial. I'm debating with myself about whether I want to spend the extra $60 a year to get voice dial through Verizon wireless as an add-on. It really grates on my nerves to spend so much for the Treo and then have to buy extra service to get the same functionality I have with a cheaper phone.

They informed me, though, that the 650 will use the same installed car kit that the 600 uses. I will not consider any phone that doesn't have an installed car kit with stereo interrupt; so, that is good news for me.

So, I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm strongly considering the 650 as my next phone.
    Cant afford it - not worth the 6 bills for the updated features.
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFox
    I called the PalmOne store today. They told me that the Treo 650 will also lack voice dial. I'm debating with myself about whether I want to spend the extra $60 a year to get voice dial through Verizon wireless as an add-on. It really grates on my nerves to spend so much for the Treo and then have to buy extra service to get the same functionality I have with a cheaper phone.
    Not a big deal. Just do not buy the 650 and you can afford a lot of service. I wish it was an option for me on the T-Mobile.

They informed me, though, that the 650 will use the same installed car kit that the 600 uses. I will not consider any phone that doesn't have an installed car kit with stereo interrupt; so, that is good news for me.
    How? Did you get the part about the new connector?

So, I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm strongly considering the 650 as my next phone.
    Poor baby.
    I have to get one - the battery on my 300 is superdead. I'll just get it from Amazon for half price.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If I decide to upgrade to the T650, I'll go with unlocked GSM at T-Mobile.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast