Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see that Palmone stock is down 2.5% this morning (yes I know that the market is down but not 2.5%) One would think that if they were announcing a great product the price would be up. I know that the price was built in expecting the 650, however it seems that investors are just as disapointed as we are.

My belief is that we can b***ch and moan, and Palm will not listen, but if the value of the stock continues to drop they will listen, since this hits them directly in the wallet.

I just wonder if they even look at the competion's products or wear blinders when designing these things
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    No WiFi, small memory, what could investor expect?
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    The day is still young. PLMO-the-company has lots of time to say wunnerful things positively affecting the price of PLMO-the-stock.

Uh huh.
    I believe they look at competitors closely and see that they are kicking **** with their "low end" Treo 600. Their great success selling the 600 suggests that it's not feature stuffing that will result in big sales, but rather good hardware/software integration and (relatively) solid devices. With all this in mind, why should they release a feature laden device that is bound to have more technical problems (look at the 6315) just to satisfy the very high end of their customer range? I think they are wise to fill the market bottom up.

I also think you are over-reacting to a few hours' worth of stock fluctuation.
    And I think you are confusing sell-in with sell-through and forgetting that it is those "buy-in" folks who have to make PLMO's day and if THEY aren't convinced then it's No Sale!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I believe they look at competitors closely and see that they are kicking **** with their "low end" Treo 600. Their great success selling the 600 suggests that it's not feature stuffing that will result in big sales, but rather good hardware/software integration and (relatively) solid devices. With all this in mind, why should they release a feature laden device that is bound to have more technical problems (look at the 6315) just to satisfy the very high end of their customer range? I think they are wise to fill the market bottom up.

I also think you are over-reacting to a few hours' worth of stock fluctuation.

A few hours, the stock was in the high 30's two months ago
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Ignore the market reaction. It's just "buy on the rumor, sell on the news".
    Here we go again with the theory that all these carriers are idiots and they are buying and storing Treo 600's Why would they do that?! Expecting a cold winter?!

You had the same theories about the 180/270/300. If this were true and the carriers were stuck with tons of inventory they couldn't get rid of, they wouldn't have bought MANY more of the 600, now would they?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    I see that Palmone stock is down 2.5% this morning (yes I know that the market is down but not 2.5%) One would think that if they were announcing a great product the price would be up. I know that the price was built in expecting the 650, however it seems that investors are just as disapointed as we are.
    Good, I hope it tanks. I also hope CNBC and those clowns get analysts opinions on opinions on the products. Lets hope they wreck it on live TV.
    My belief is that we can b!tch and moan, and Palm will not listen, but if the value of the stock continues to drop they will listen, since this hits them directly in the wallet.
    Unfortunately, the world doesn't quite work this way. If there were an actual problem/defect with the 650, then by all means b!tching and moaning would get something done pretty quickly. But roughly 5% of the user base b!tching won't rattle the corporate machine too much.
    I just wonder if they even look at the competion's products or wear blinders when designing these things
    I would assume they generally look at EVERYTHING. However, I don't know how much they budget to market research - I mean, it's certainly not like Apple's R&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Good, I hope it tanks. I also hope CNBC and those clowns get analysts opinions on opinions on the products. Lets hope they wreck it on live TV.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't quite work this way. If there were an actual problem/defect with the 650, then by all means b!tching and moaning would get something done pretty quickly. But roughly 5% of the user base b!tching won't rattle the corporate machine too much.

I would assume they generally look at EVERYTHING. However, I don't know how much they budget to market research - I mean, it's certainly not like Apple's R&D.
    Since you acknowledge that it's the top 5% of the market that's unhappy, why do you then go on to say that they don't do good market research? If the 5% figure is accurate, then their market research was right on the nose.
    I sold off plmo an hour ago. that's it for me.
    Hmmm, I'm checking to see where I said they didn't do good market research.

Also, I never said "top" 5% of the market. The implication I make is that 5% (or whatever miniscule percentage it is) of the market accounts for high-end users, early adopters, etc. To me this is the tail vs. the normal distribution. Good market research will grab the normal distribution; excellent market research will get the tails and ND (e.g. ipod).

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Since you acknowledge that it's the top 5% of the market that's unhappy, why do you then go on to say that they don't do good market research? If the 5% figure is accurate, then their market research was right on the nose.
    Nice, dude! I was just looking on the SEC's website to see what Hawkins and Dubinsky have been up to the past few months. Looks like they've been selling off a little of their share as well.

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I sold off plmo an hour ago. that's it for me.
    this is good news. tepid market reaction could force P1 to show a little Treo 700 leg, as they say. i'll hold off on 650 if the 700 (UMTS, WiFi, better camera) is due out by June next year.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Nice, dude! I was just looking on the SEC's website to see what Hawkins and Dubinsky have been up to the past few months. Looks like they've been selling off a little of their share as well.
    Hawkins and Dubinsky selling off (as they have for the last year or two) isn't too interesting - they're both pretty much "past tense" w.r.t. PLMO. If I were them I'd sell, too, simply because the company is no longer in their control.

Colligan selling, however, is quite another thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    this is good news. tepid market reaction could force P1 to show a little Treo 700 leg, as they say. i'll hold off on 650 if the 700 (UMTS, WiFi, better camera) is due out by June next year.
    I can't wait, my current phone has been on it's last leg for the past two months. I guess I will have to buy it. Sure wish the 9500 or the 9300 was here to compare with. I need to see the Nokia first hand before I buy it to make sure it is not too big.
    Stock is typically more influenced by speculation, and overall market trends (i.e. raising oil, loss of job in technology sector, etc.) than it is by any news the company can produce.

Besides, financial analysts are typically a slow bunch when it comes to catching up with technology. You can publish a press release that you have built perpertum mobile, and you can be sure it will take around 6 months for financial analysts to catch up, for data to sink in so to speak.
    Yes, but it's not like any of these cats is unloading. Colligan is selling as well:

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-ed...&owner=include

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Hawkins and Dubinsky selling off (as they have for the last year or two) isn't too interesting - they're both pretty much "past tense" w.r.t. PLMO. If I were them I'd sell, too, simply because the company is no longer in their control.

Colligan selling, however, is quite another thing...
    Yes, but it's not like any of these cats is unloading. Colligan is selling as well
    Yeah, I know - that's why I mentioned it.

BTW - selling $100,000 worth of stock every week is not exactly a small amount of sell-off, regardless one's total position.
    Yes, but it's not like any of these cats is unloading. Colligan is selling as well:

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-ed...&owner=include
    Do you think Ed and Martha will get along in the same cell?
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast