Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know what it would theoretically take to undo what Sprint has supposedly done? I'm sure it is possible but is it realistic or is this in the same category with trying to get a wifi SD card to work on the t600? I know its early and no one has one yet but any insights would be welcome. Between the smallish 32 megs of memory, no megapixel camera, crippled bluetooth, and a $600 pricetag, the T650 is starting to look like less and less of an option for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    Anyone know what it would theoretically take to undo what Sprint has supposedly done? I'm sure it is possible but is it realistic or is this in the same category with trying to get a wifi SD card to work on the t600? I know its early and no one has one yet but any insights would be welcome. Between the smallish 32 megs of memory, no megapixel camera, crippled bluetooth, and a $600 pricetag, the T650 is starting to look like less and less of an option for me.
    I'm curious: What is the driver that makes all you people so desparately want Dial Up Networking support from the Treo 650? If you're already carrying a laptop, who cares if it has a PC Card in it to provide this function?

I have a Novatel C201, and while my laptop has Bluetooth support, I'm just not seeing the huge benefit out of dropping that one little PC Card out of the equation.

Is it that you're unwilling to pay the $80/mo for the PCS Connection Card, and instead you want your phone to provide this free of charge? What if Sprint had an $80/month option to enable the Bluetooth DUN support, would this be good enough?

Someone help me understand the big picture here.

-jd
    what he said!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  4. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    Is it that you're unwilling to pay the $80/mo for the PCS Connection Card, and instead you want your phone to provide this free of charge? What if Sprint had an $80/month option to enable the Bluetooth DUN support, would this be good enough?
    Hi,

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I'd bet that people want more functionality without paying more for it.

No way Sprint can win on this one.
    - Bluetooth DUN support for free - everyone does it - Vision gets congested - everyone who uses Vision complains
    - Bluetooth DUN support for $$ - some people use it - people complain about $$$
    - No Bluetooth DUN support - "power users" complain

I'd say they've probably chosen the option that will get them the fewest number of complaints...

George
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    Your going to have to wait to see how the bluetooth is implemented. No matter what, the bluetooth stack needs to be augmented or more likely replaced. . . but for that to happen there needs to be a way to tweak or disable thecurrent implementation.

Basically, you need to wait and see what the hackers have to say. . .
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

-jd
    Yes, I would pay the $80 per month to hook up the phone by Bluetooth. I don't want another PC Card with antennae or stub sticking out of my notebook, when I've already got the phone in my pocket. I'm tired of Sprint deciding which one is better for me - let me decide and I'll pay the freight.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    We do not even know if it is going to be crippled. There are rumors out that the ppc6601 will not be crippled. If it is not I do not see why the T650 would be.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...b29e4d7832cb9b
    Would it still be possible to usa Treo Modem or similar through hotsync. If it is not then I probably won't upgrade.

I still have a Treo 300 :-)!!! but Treo Modem has saved my **** more than once when on the road or otherwise away from a phone jack
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The rumor was, Sprint would also offer a tethered option, where you could use your Sprint data phone as a modem for your laptop. The rumored price was around $40/month for unlimited data. This seems like a good compromise to me, and MUCH better than crippling the Bluetooth implementation on a power user's phone.
  10.    #10  
    I'm curious: What is the driver that makes all you people so desparately want Dial Up Networking support from the Treo 650? If you're already carrying a laptop, who cares if it has a PC Card in it to provide this function?

I have a Novatel C201, and while my laptop has Bluetooth support, I'm just not seeing the huge benefit out of dropping that one little PC Card out of the equation.

-jd
    I reallly don't care about whether or not you can use the 650 as a wireless laptop modem via bluetooth. Worse case scenario, I buy the updated PDANet software and use a cable like I do with my 600, no big deal. What I am concerned about, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that by disabling/removing the bluetooth modem profile in the 650, this also takes away the ability to use things like GPS devices and other bluetooth "data" devices? Is this correct? Who knows what other bluetooth devices will come out in the next few months/year, all I know is that by crippling bluetooth on my $600 phone, it won't work with any of them with the exception of a bluetooth headset, nothing more.
    No. You can disable individual profiles without affecting the rest.
    But what profiles do GPS devices and the like use?

I think what he means is, what other ways can losing the serial profile hurt us? If nothing now, what about later?

It's all theoretical at this point anyway.

edit: Is there actually a "dial up modem" profile? I thought it worked through the serial profile. If there is a DUN, can software not be written to utilize the data stream through serial? Thats how its done on USB, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    But what profiles do GPS devices and the like use?

I think what he means is, what other ways can losing the serial profile hurt us? If nothing now, what about later?

It's all theoretical at this point anyway.

edit: Is there actually a "dial up modem" profile? I thought it worked through the serial profile. If there is a DUN, can software not be written to utilize the data stream through serial? Thats how its done on USB, correct?
    Yes there is a DUN profile. I doubt very seriously that the serial profile will be disabled.

I do not know the limitations of the serial profile, sorry.
    in theory- and remember this is plainly in theory... modems operate on serial ports... and the tethered mode operates on a virtual serial port... so if you could hook up the treo to a serial device (like your computer) you could turn on tethered mode and be done with it... now you just need to make sure tethered knows to pick the bt serial port and not the one on the connector...

i believe the next bluetooth bounty is at hand... whoever gets DUN working on the 650 gets it...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Wasn't that bounty canceled?
    exactly, i meant to say that we would have to start another one...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    So, it's not clear - can I still use PDANet on the Treo650 to allow my laptop to use my phone as a modem?

Oh, and it's not about wanting something for free. I just want a data plan that supports casual usage of my Treo as a modem. If Sprint came out with something between all and nothing, I'd be interested.
    Probably be able to use PDANet when they release it for the 650 (may take a couple of months). Might be able to use BT - Jury is still out and might depend on which carrier you have.
    According to the broadcom datasheet on the bluetooth chip being used the stack is stored in ROM but with a RAM layer that can be patched. Most likely this indicates the phone can STILL do DUN profile, we just have to unpatch the stack layer.
    Yea, looks like it will be a simple hack to reenable it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast