Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am absolutely disgusted by PalmOne. We wait 12 months for a follow-up to the Treo 600, and what do they do? Well, yeah, okay, besides address essentially every single one of the top 5 complaints about the Treo 600? Nothing! They complete ignored our prayers for semi-possible features!

Let's just list some of the missing features in this so-called "Treo 650" (more like Treo 600.001!)

- No VGA+ screen! Sure they quadrupled the number of pixels, and now it can display 16x more colors, but that is the least of what they should have done! There are lots and lots of PocketPC-based phones with 320x240 screens, and everyone knows that 320 times 240 is a bigger number than 320 times 320. And come on, couldn't they have make it 20 times sharper than the Treo 600 instead? Are they even trying?

- No Wi-Fi! When I want to browse the web on my smartphone, I would much rather run to a local Starbucks and negotiate a connection with them rather than using the phone's built-in cellular connection. And when I want to make a phone call, I would much rather use VoIP with a nonexistent Skype client rather than using that crappy phone application!

- Worthless camera! If I can't capture 3 MP stills and DVD-quality video with a camera, I basically can't use a camera. It causes my eyes to explode. This is a major issue, and I'm not alone in this problem. I would have much preferred that the Treo 600.001 have a 5MP camera that produces barely-discernible images rather than a crappy 0.3MP camera that makes viewable images.

- No more memory! Sure, great, now I never have my data get lost, but what good is that? I would much rather spend more money to get more built-in, non-upgradable, slow memory than just purchasing more cheap SD cards. In fact...

- No rare proprietary memory slot! Everyone else is inventing their own flash format, why can't PalmOne? Why make us pay $75 for a 1GB SD card when we could pay over $300 for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo or the same for a much larger, cooler-looking CF card? Sucks!

- No bigger keyboard! How am I supposed to compose long essays on a device without a full-size keyboard? Why do they even bother including a keyboard? Why not just go back to Graffiti? We all loved that! Actually, on the topic of size...

- No more smaller! If a device isn't in danger of being accidentally swallowed by toddlers, it's too big. PalmOne should have found some way to magically have both a larger keyboard and smaller device.

- No copy of every piece of Palm software ever written! Seriously, I want VeriChat, a BlackBerry client, a GameBoy emulator, all 3 music players, all 6 web browsers, J2ME, J2SE, J2EE and maybe 50 games on the ROM. This is a *completely* reasonable request, isn't it? Especially with that price tag. Actually, while we're on it...

- IT'S NOT FREE! After 12 months of hanging out on these forums, leaking pictures, and scrapping for every little piece of information, they could at least give us the damn thing for free. Who do they think they are, charging us for a product? If I'm going to pay money, I'd much rather pay for a someone else's product. Money going to PalmOne so they can develop the Treo 600.001.1 is just silly.

Basically, I think--and it's clear many of you agree with me--every single engineer responsible for this disaster needs to be slapped. I think we should storm PalmOne HQ this week, armed with fish. Maybe Wednesday. Oh, wait, I have to watch the game on Wednesday. Thurs- oh, hold up, that could be game 5. Uhm, alright, seriously, on Friday, PalmOne is going to pay. I'm buying tickets to California right now, and I suggest everyone else do the same.

I'll coordinate with everyone via my, uh....Treo 600..

[edit: apologies to anyone insulted by the insensitivity of the previous wording of the last paragraph]
    Last edited by bullitB; 10/25/2004 at 12:12 PM.
    Basically, I think--and it's clear many of you agree with me--every single engineer responsible for this disaster needs to be killed. Brutally murdered. I think we should storm PalmOne HQ this week.
    This is the only part of your post that is correct. So you think the 650 is everything it is supposed to be, yeah right. The truth is that you are also very disappointed, how could you not be? But, as are many in this forum, you are just sooooo engrossed in the Treo world that you are turning a blind eye to your disappointment, and trying to see the many wonderful "advancements" that actually did make it into the Treo 650 as a positive thing.

Wake up - the 650 sucks - it is a major let down - Palm screwed the pooch on this one - all those in denial, quit fooling yourself, it is okay to admit when a product sucks, even when it is from a company which you feel can do no wrong - either keep your Treo 600 or move to the Pocket PC line - pda2k , salvation lies within...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Haha, funny stuff... Can never make everyone happy. I'll take this "measley upgrade of the 600" over many of the bulky, all-show products out there now. To each their own.
    I could not agree more. What is all the complaining about? The 650 addresses all the major issues and is a great big step forward. If people want a megapixel camera they should go and buy a camera! As for Wifi, who needs it or really wants it. It's such a hassle searching for wifi spots (outside the home or office, that is). And the public spots that offer Wifi can't seem to make money from it so its future is dubious. Roll on the new 650!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    This is the only part of your post that is correct. So you think the 650 is everything it is supposed to be, yeah right. The truth is that you are also very disappointed, how could you not be? But, as are many in this forum, you are just sooooo engrossed in the Treo world that you are turning a blind eye to your disappointment, and trying to see the many wonderful "advancements" that actually did make it into the Treo 650 as a positive thing.

Wake up - the 650 sucks - it is a major let down - Palm screwed the pooch on this one - all those in denial, quit fooling yourself, it is okay to admit when a product sucks, even when it is from a company which you feel can do no wrong - either keep your Treo 600 or move to the Pocket PC line - pda2k , salvation lies within...
    Well there must be a reason so many are "engrossed" in the Treo.. it's not out of loyalty to a company (PalmOne), I'll bet on that.
    Great post! What time do we meet in CA.?
    I love my 600, but useless at telephone calls, everyone complains that it buzzes all the time

If they have not addressed this issue I won't be upgrading.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    But, as are many in this forum, you are just sooooo engrossed in the Treo world that you are turning a blind eye to your disappointment, and trying to see the many wonderful "advancements" that actually did make it into the Treo 650 as a positive thing.
    Wow, so, in other words....

"Advancements" suck. It only would have been a positive thing if they ripped the SD slot out, made the screen grayscale, and removed the keyboard. And radio. Essentially they should have reintroduced the Pilot 1000. Then and only then would this have been a positive announcement.

No, seriously here, why are there so few actual switchers? AFAICT, there seem to be a huge portion of people who spend their lives complaining about their phone. So, yeah, sure, the T650 now has a better screen and radio to complement the software that most people prefer to PPC and Smartphone, but the real issue here is that there's no Wi-Fi, a feature that would have increased the cost 20% and probably been used by about 1% of the potential customers.
    I can't say I am going to lose sleep over the camera. Who cares about 1.3MP. With a pinhole lense, it just means you get more crappy pixels. I for one am actually kinda glad they focused on getting the most out of the VGA camera. This way the files will not be too big to send vai SMS/email, and the quiality is semi-decent. Unless phones will start incorporating quality Carl-Zeiss lenses, now way I will use it for anything else but quick disposable snapshots. It fits that bill just nicely :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    I love my 600, but useless at telephone calls, everyone complains that it buzzes all the time

If they have not addressed this issue I won't be upgrading.
    Paul, that is a known hardware problem with some "earlier" hardware versions of the 600. I had that. Called up Tmobile, they told me to get diagnosis from Palmone and a case number confirming the need for replacement. Got it. Called Tmobile, gave them case number. New Treo arrived 3 days later.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Well-put, Bullit. The ironic thing is that people are upset largely because they got so bound up in their own rumors and hype that they came to think of these guesses as "promises". When all is said and done, the only really important feature of any connected device is coverage, about which all the vendors and carriers are essentially silent.
    One quibble: Talking about killing engineers isn't all that funny these days, as there are people actually doing it over in Iraq. You never know what sort of unhinged people are out there on the Internet.
    Wow, so, in other words....

"Advancements" suck. It only would have been a positive thing if they ripped the SD slot out, made the screen grayscale, and removed the keyboard. And radio. Essentially they should have reintroduced the Pilot 1000. Then and only then would this have been a positive announcement.
    Um, are you ok? Did I say "advancements" suck? No. I was emphasizing the word in hopes of you understanding that the so-called advancements made to the 650 are not very significant. Advancements are what new technology is all about - that's my point!!! Palm failed to make enough of them in this "upgrade." The 650 is simply what the 600 should have been in the first place. Clearer screen, a couple extra buttons, NO additional memory, self-portrait mirror, no WiFi - this is what they have managed to accomplish over many, many months of development? Were they all on vacation?
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    LOL - Great post, bullitB!
    Truth Is.... I dont think I want it....

the MOST important feature to me is always more memory... I have been juggling with the memory card for 6 months..

I'll get it anyway... but I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED
    WBO - good to have you back.
    Obviusly memory is an issue and that is why the T5 came with 256MB.
    but when can we BUY this worst/best device to come out of palmone (depending on who you talk to)?

"this thing could deep-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds."
    "40 seconds? but i want it now!"
    I'll probably upgrade (screen if no other reason), BUT THE 32MB MEMORY IS A JOKE! If this is the high end of the new "family" it's going in with a sub-100 IQ. There's NO excuse for limiting RAM to 32mb.

I can forgive no WiFi, no real camera, etc., but I want one person to explain to me how the could scrimp on RAM in this version - there's no amount of incremental profit they could be realizing that justifies this fumble.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitB
    I am absolutely disgusted by PalmOne. We wait 12 months for a follow-up to the Treo 600, and what do they do? Well, yeah, okay, besides address essentially every single one of the top 5 complaints about the Treo 600? Nothing! They complete ignored our prayers for semi-possible features!
    I love it. Great post. From some of the posts on here, you'd think the world was coming to end.
    i skipped the 600, so from my 300, with no camera, no bluetooth, low res screen, etc... this is a pretty decent upgrade. however, i'm probably the only one who would still prefer the clamshell (to protect the screen) and wish they would just deal with the build-quality issues.

frankly i wish there was a palm based alternative, but i want the keyboard...
    Last edited by aarons12; 10/25/2004 at 12:33 PM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast