Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No. No. No.

Look guys. We're not disappointed because the phone didn't match the rumors we heard for months. This product is disappointing because the competition is gaining on the Treo, and with this entry, Palm is showing that they're not moving forward.

Other devices are getting smaller and smaller. Who's going to argue that the MPx is too big? Or they're adding more functionality. PDA2K has wi-fi and Bluetooth and voice dialing more.

Heck, I have a WATCH that has more than 30 megs on it!
    true this is not as big of a jump as the transition from t300 to the t600. I'm happy i will have bluetooth and a screen that is 320^2, it would have been nice to have an more updated camera and wifi but that isn't a requirement for me. U also have to remember that Palmone doesn't have the purchasing power of hp, samsung, and nokia.U and I may be *****in but we're also buying. with sd cards carrying 1 gig and being cheap big deal about it only having 32 megs of memory, just put your essential apps on the phone and put everything else on the card. I believe nokia projects there will be 800 million phone produced this year so you will be able to find a product that fits your needs.
    But it's best bang for the buck, and as such I see the imate/daxian as a very serious contender. I think that will be my next phone IF the form factor works for me. Same price as 650, more features, better screen and most importantly, I'M ON MY 6TH TREO. As much as I like it, I'm worried. If it were a car it would definitely fall under lemon law. I love my 600, but you can complain about it even if you love it.
    they had the change to make a near perfect hand set by just adding a few reasonable upgrades which you all know and want, but palm is dangling the carrot and give them a reason to do another poor upgrade in the future !!!!????
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    i skipped the 600, so from my 300, with no camera, no bluetooth, low res screen, etc... this is a pretty decent upgrade. however, i'm probably the only one who would still prefer the clamshell (to protect the screen) and wish they would just deal with the build-quality issues.

frankly i wish there was a palm based alternative, but i want the keyboard...
    I just have to second your post, aaron! I've been lurking around these boards with my "ole" T300 for almost two years now. Like so many, I'm excited by the concept of a unified PDA/phone but have been disappointed by the execution. I never upgraded to the 600 because of the distrust I had of HS and Sprint over those "build-quality issues" you mention -- it sounded like the 600 line was only a little bit better.

Finally jumping to the 650 is tempting, but like you, I really wish there was a palm based alternative out there WITH keyboard. I'm going to wait for another couple of months and pay attention to the quality reports on the 650 before I make the plunge... Good luck to you!
    --
    jt
    I don't think any engineers at Palm1 had any hand in the design of the T650, in fact, I heard that Palm fired all their engineers when they merged with HS. Palm1 is now just a big giant marketing department. They all got together in a marketing "pow-wow" session and said, "This is pretty! I wonder how we can make it prettier and more fun!" Debates raged on how to accomplish their new objective for the 600, whereas ideas such as "swappable face-plates" (one of the best ideas ever!) and a gaming version that included a giant snap-on gameboyesque thumb-pad almost made the final design. In the end, they made several improvements:

1) They made it roundier! Yay! Roundier corners and buttons!
    2) The processor got faster because Intel came to them and said, "We don't have any of the old chips anymore, you have to use this one" (The intel guy pulls a chip out of his pocket covered in lint and hands to marketing guy. Marketing guy jumps thinking it was some sort of bug! Ewwwwww!) Marketing guy responds, "Is it better?" Intel guy says, "Umm....yeah! I think we have a lot we almost threw out until you guys came along!" Thus, the T650 has a "faster processor".
    3) Because all marketing guys like to wear headsets, they wanted bluetooth. Probably due to the fact that no one in any marketing department can stop laughing when someone says "bluetooth"! HAHAHAHA! BLUETOOTH! FUN!
    4) And boy, that UGLY screen. It was so not pretty! It was the first thing to go.
    5) Of course, any marketing department worth it's weight in salt realizes that the accessory industry makes booku dollars for people, so they had to change the connector doo-hickey on the bottom! HAD TO!

After these changes were made, they decided to keep it all secret and stuff. Cause keeping such a killer new prettier phone increases hype and sells more phones! Then the whole marketing department giggled in anticipatiton! High fives were given everywhere!

Today, we have learned of their amazing efforts...
    hey, don't blame this one on marketing. At least marketing knows enough to keep up with the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Paul, that is a known hardware problem with some "earlier" hardware versions of the 600. I had that. Called up Tmobile, they told me to get diagnosis from Palmone and a case number confirming the need for replacement. Got it. Called Tmobile, gave them case number. New Treo arrived 3 days later.
    I did the same and they didn't want to know. Said I should go back to the shop where I bought it.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Everyone is complaining about the new Treo 650, but how many of you actually have multiple devices or access to them to compare. Reading spec sheets is not the same as using a device for real! The Treo series is so much better than PPC devices it's not even funny! I get 14 hours on a Treo battery charge, with heavy usage, data, emails, sms, some calls, reading books, etc. PPC phones last maybe five hours with that much usage. Wifi? Yes, it is nice, but not at the expense of battery life or size and weight. The nice thing about a Treo is that it fits in a jeans pocket, not in a giant geek case on my hip! And with a GSM Treo, one can always pop the sim card into a tiny phone when that's all you need. All this fuss seems excessive. Let's see if Palm One offers us an upgrade path like last year (my Treo 600 was $399, a decent deal) how long the new removeable battery lasts, and try using Bluetooth with wireless GPS and BT network routers! If the 650 works with some new things, I'll be happy. And I can't wait to try Active Sync OTA!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Well, if they do not offer a reasonable upgrade discount, I will kindly say, "Thank you".

Thank you for making my decision a lot easier.

Thank you for getting my hopes up.

Thank you for wasting my time.

I am still not sure what I'll do if the DO offer a discount.....

If they do- 50% chance to stay with Treo,

If the don't- 100% chance to go with PPC 6600
    i think the 650 and the siemens will be my next two choices. the disgust amazes me that people have with the 650. why would palm make drastic changes if their current model is still selling at above three hundred dollars. how ever you look at it though the 650 is a great upgrade for many users.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    320x320=102400

320x240=76800

go back to grade school
    Back in Treo land!
    Treo 600 - RIP May 31st, 2005
    Treo 650 - Born June 12th, 2006
    One whole year away from PalmOS! Ahhhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by treomojo
    Well, if they do not offer a reasonable upgrade discount, I will kindly say, "Thank you".

Thank you for making my decision a lot easier.

Thank you for getting my hopes up.

Thank you for wasting my time.

I am still not sure what I'll do if the DO offer a discount.....

If they do- 50% chance to stay with Treo,

If the don't- 100% chance to go with PPC 6600
    which model are you refering to? (6600)
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    You folks do realize that the original post was sarcastic in nature, right... RIGHT?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123