Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    there's no amount of incremental profit they could be realizing that justifies this (32 meg) fumble.

Unless, of course, Sprint or Verizon don't want there to be a lot of internal memory on the thing to avoid people downloading big or huge numbers of files. Would not suprise me if this was a requirement to keep the Treo on the $15 Vison plan as opposed to the $30 Vision+business pack plan the Microsoft OS has to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    This is the only part of your post that is correct. So you think the 650 is everything it is supposed to be, yeah right. The truth is that you are also very disappointed, how could you not be? But, as are many in this forum, you are just sooooo engrossed in the Treo world that you are turning a blind eye to your disappointment, and trying to see the many wonderful "advancements" that actually did make it into the Treo 650 as a positive thing.

Wake up - the 650 sucks - it is a major let down - Palm screwed the pooch on this one - all those in denial, quit fooling yourself, it is okay to admit when a product sucks, even when it is from a company which you feel can do no wrong - either keep your Treo 600 or move to the Pocket PC line - pda2k , salvation lies within...
    It's funny to read this. No, I'm not making fun of you or making light of your position at all. It's just that your attitude and comments (though some words have changed) were exactly the same as that of some users when the T600 was announced. The then T300 users were anxiously awaiting news of the T600, and people complained and said Handspring really blew it. Well, that didn't stop the popularity or sales of the 600, did it? It's really funny to see history repeating itself yet again ...

Take a walk down memory lane if you find you have too much time on your hands and see what I mean.
    well let's all be happy with minor upgrades that could have happened 2 years ago. and let's still be happy with the fact that its STILL lacking some key aspects even after the t600 weaknesses were addressed.
    no problem. we all understand, right? sure. we'll just continue to be okay with the basic minimums - its right as rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    well let's all be happy with minor upgrades that could have happened 2 years ago. and let's still be happy with the fact that its STILL lacking some key aspects even after the t600 weaknesses were addressed.
    no problem. we all understand, right? sure. we'll just continue to be okay with the basic minimums - its right as rain.
    If not happy, don't buy it. That is the only thing that really matters. P1 along with its REAL customers, the carriers, made a business decision on what the product would have, what price it would be, and how many they think they will sell at that feature/price point. If they are wrong, the marketplace will tell them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitB
    Basically, I think--and it's clear many of you agree with me--every single engineer responsible for this disaster needs to be killed. Brutally murdered. I think we should storm PalmOne HQ this week.
    I see you've met John Kerry...
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    i skipped the 600, so from my 300, with no camera, no bluetooth, low res screen, etc... this is a pretty decent upgrade. however, i'm probably the only one who would still prefer the clamshell (to protect the screen) and wish they would just deal with the build-quality issues.

frankly i wish there was a palm based alternative, but i want the keyboard...
    You can buy screen protectors to keep the screen beautiful. Of curse they want 20 Bucks for three protectors. Are there cheaper protectors out there?
  7. gcs
    Hi,

Ummmm, didn't anyone else think this thread was sarcastic at the beginning?

George
    well ... considering i'm still using my t180g, i think the 650 is fantastic
    What it comes down to is that the 650 might be a good device but it is only marginally better than the 600. At this time I am thinking it is NOT worth upgrading from the 600. After all, I already have 32 MB of memory and a VGA camera on my 600 and I could care less about Bluetooth. Am I supposed to pay all that money just to get a new screen and faster processor? I don't think so. I was disappointed to hear about the 32 MB of memory a few weeks ago but the VGA camera on top of it kills the deal.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkopko
    but when can we BUY this worst/best device to come out of palmone (depending on who you talk to)?

"this thing could deep-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds."
    "40 seconds? but i want it now!"
    Yep, Mo couldn't have said it better and Homer couldn't agree more!
    im with wee bit 23 mbs of memeory makes me want to go to back to my mpx200 but since i love my 600 ill wait it out till next year or so till the 700 or 800 or 900 you get the point.you will see alot of me on the 600 forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcs
    Hi,

Ummmm, didn't anyone else think this thread was sarcastic at the beginning?

George
    Who's being sarcastic now!
    I want to wait and see to what price the Treo 600 drops. The release of the 650 may make the 600 a true bargain for folks like me whose cell phone needs are more on the marginal end of the spectrum.
    Well.. I'm not one to leak info. usually. But I heard the upgrade to the 650 for previous 600 owners will only cost you 25 cents. Now, it's just a rumor.. but I'm pretty sure it's true.. See, I have this friend who works at...
    Don't let SV get ahold of your rumors, he will tear your rumors apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    You can buy screen protectors to keep the screen beautiful. Of curse they want 20 Bucks for three protectors. Are there cheaper protectors out there?
    a screen protector (which i do use) might prevent minor scratches, but the flip does a whole lot more against possible nastier threats... still i'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, just that i would prefer it.

strangely enough, though, palm/handspring did not consult me even once for my opinion before doing away with the flip
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    That wasn't the BEST part... My "friend" told me it's only 50 cents to upgrade from the Treo 90. Now that HAS TO BE true...
    Dissapointed as I might have been when the Treo600 was announced due to the poor screen and lack of bluetooth, ofcourse we had no idea about the crap camera then, I was still overall very excited about the Treo600 and could not wait to upgrade from my Treo270. Ever since then I have patiently waited for PalmOne to upgrade the Treo600 and never thought it would take longer than a yr for that too happen. So when it does finally happen and the only thing they add is what ought to have been in the Treo600 to begin with, namely 320x320 screen and bluetooth, it is but natural for most to be dissapointed. Where are the features that one would expect from one whole year of the development cycle? As for the camera, I am shocked that inspite of all the criticism the Treo600 has gotten over this issue and now with phones that cost 1/3rd the Treo600's price having much better camera's, that PalmOne has not bothered to upgrade the camera. Will I be buying the Treo650? Honest answer is yes. But it is not because I am thrilled and/or excited by the Treo650, rather it is because I find the existing Treo600 woefully inadequate as a high end PDA/Phone due to it's lack of bluetooth, atrocious screen an even worse, camera. Other than the fact that the Treo600 is Palm OS based I cannot think of one good reason why I don't run to switch over to a Sony/Erricson P910 or for that matter any one of the many new Pocket PC phones on the horizon. I hate to say it, but PalmOne has lost my loyalty and I will be looking into other options from now on.
    PS: By the way 23MB of usable memory in today's day and time is absolutely ridiculous and unlike WiFi, which would require a lot of tweaking and re-engineering, adding memory should have been quite simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego
    That wasn't the BEST part... My "friend" told me it's only 50 cents to upgrade from the Treo 90. Now that HAS TO BE true...
    I have an old PalmIII, I wonder how much it will cost me to upgrade...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Innovation is an incremental process. True the 650 could have had more bells and whistles, but who's going to buy a $1,000 phone that's got everything but the kitchen sink? ANSWER: A select few of us on this board, that's about it (trust me)! However, if P1 releases an equally equipped phone in say, a year (when the economies of scale for components allow a ~$500 price point) the potential market increases exponentially. You gotta ask yourself, if you were P1 management (keep in mind you're managing a company that may never fully be out of the woods), what would you do??? Chances are you'd take an incremental approach to innovation and maximize your market just like they're doing.

And if you're still set on having your device do EVERYTHING, read up on the petfrog and go start petfrogcentral.com where you can hype the device until it comes out. At which point, you boo the device because it doesn't include ......
    Last edited by dulan; 10/25/2004 at 02:06 PM.
    go.digital
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast