Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    about 1/3 of the time that i sync my Treo 90 on my new Dell i get a blue screen that says the following..... any clue what is causing it? anyone else had this happen? its an XP machine

a problem has been detected and windows has bee nshut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restrt you
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If
    this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for
    any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
    softwre. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you
    need to use the safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
    computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe
    mode.

Technical information:

*** SOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xEDAE779F)

*** PalmUSBD.sys - Address EDAE779F base at EDAE5000, DateStamp 3c6801e9

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical mmory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance
    Dell Computers are not made to work with some desktop software. I suggest that you buy another.

I had the same problem with my treo 90 as well. The problem is the Hotsync manager does not support hyperthreading or multiple processor systems. There's a work-around, but it's a bit of a pain.
    1) Open Windows Task Manager
    2) Find HOTSYNC.EXE and right click on it.
    3) Select Set Affinity
    4) Remove the check mark from CPU 1 so that only CPU 0 is checked
    5) Click OK

The problem is the affinity only remains set as long as hotsync is running. If you reboot the computer or restart hotsync you need to go through these steps again.

Does anyone know hot to make the affinity setting permanent?

Here's the email I received from Palm Support on this issue
    ------------------------

Jordan, one cause of the "blue screen of death" is that your desktop computer's CPU uses Hyper-Threading Technology. Hyper-Threading Technology is a form of simultaneous multi-threading technology (SMT) where multiple threads of software applications can be run simultaneously on one processor. I would like to inform you that as of now, Hyper-Threading Technology is not suppported by Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager. You can read more information about Hyper-Threading Technology from this website:

http://www.intel.com/

With regard to your question on plans to update the driver to correct this issue, Iím sorry to tell you that we donít have any information yet. We advise you to visit our website from time to time for updates of this issue.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience, as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://kb.palmone.com

To learn more about palmOne handhelds, please visit our support web site at:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/

Thank you for choosing palmOne.
  4. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I was having problems syncing my treo 300 on my hyperthreading dell. Every time, I would get the blue screen of death, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, palmusbd.sys. I followed Jordan1's advice, and I finally synced successfully.

Interestingly, I was also getting this on my old PII computer every once in a while. So, is this just some generic blue screen info when something goes wrong during hotsync?

Thanks again to Jordan1!

JES
    Hi all,

I had the same problem, setting the Affinity worked for me ....

So here I include a way to do it automatically using the windows "Start" from the command line or from a "Hotsync.cmd" which you could use using a shortcut

In Hotsync.CMD add the following lines:
    Line1: @echo off
    Line2: START "HotSync Manager" /D "C:\Program Files\Hotsync" /SEPARATE /AFFINITY 0x1 "C:\Program Files\Hotsync\HOTSYNC.EXE"

Hope it helps ....