1.    #1  
    I am new to the Treo World and I am curious to know if the Treo 6XX has the ability to function as a USB Mass Storage device/SD Reader/Witer for PCs without installing any software onto the PC (other than a possible Device Driver). With the advent of larger SD cards, 1gb+, it would be awesome to use your phone/pda/mp3 player as a storage device to transfer files to/from PC with the use of a USB Connector (This would be primariliy a question geared towards PCs without bluetooth.)

Thanks,

OptimalCapacity
    ever try to transfer a gig of data through a treo cable? Better to do it before you go to sleep, probably will be done by the time you wake up.
    It can be done; the best example is CardExport2, which will allow you to plug your Treo into a USB port and mount the SD card as a disk on a Win2K desktop without Windows software. Of course it will only work at USB1 speed (up to 1.5Mbs), which is pretty sluggish compared to buying a USB2 disk dongle which would set you back around $30 for up to a 480Mbs transfer rate.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry to hear the transfer rate of the USB is so slow! Thanks for the information!
    Quote Originally Posted by optimalcapacity
    Sorry to hear the transfer rate of the USB is so slow! Thanks for the information!
    its usb1.1 afterall
    no worries
    I use card export and yes it is slow but thats not the fault of card export it's just that 1.1 is to slow.

Dean
    Card export rocks.

As for "mass storage" though, 1G is as "mass" as you can get. 1G SD Card + Card export makes life great going between home and work.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Am I missing something here? Storing files on my SD Card (that lives in my treo) using a cheap $10 USB SD Card Reader makes Treo 600 a great (and safe) mass storage device.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing
    Am I missing something here? Storing files on my SD Card (that lives in my treo) using a cheap $10 USB SD Card Reader makes Treo 600 a great (and safe) mass storage device.
    Maybe, King. I just downloaded Card Export II yesterday and it's pretty astonishing.

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

From what I can tell so far, it works the same way as the USB card reader, only it operates while the card is still in the Treo. Basically, you just plug the Treo in to the sync cable and you can read the card from your PC, like any other drive. You don't have to pop the card out, and you don't need a card reader on every PC (just a sync cable). I find it a whole lot faster and easier than a card reader.

What continues to baffle me is why this and so many other important apps aren't advertised and included with every Treo. I bet a lot of people buying memory sticks don't know the Treo can serve the same purpose, just as a lot of people who buy the new Apple photo IPod won't know that the Treo can do many of the same things.
    Aaaah, I see. Thanks.
    I still prefer my mini card reader (over another software), since I can easily carry the reader in my pocket at all times (instead of the hotsync cable) and have access to my data on my treo wherever I want. Newer laptops also have SD Readers built in, so that also helps.

Having a reader (instead of a flash drive) also keeps my data safe, since the data always resides on my SD Card (which lives in my treo), instead of my flash drive. So i have no fear of losing my reader/drive.

I agree, using Treo as a "Mass Storage Device" is a great selling point.