1.    #1  
    confirmed from the data sheet:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE quad-band world phone, 850/900/1800/ 1900 MHz Class 10, Class B

Thats very cool!

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/s..._gsmdsheet.pdf
    errr...everyone knows that
  3.    #3  
    not everyone, there were some questions about this in some other threads/forums b/c it doesn't say so on the PLMO web page. You have to review the data sheet to confirm.
    Is AT&T the only US carrier to offer EDGE service?
    t-mo, next year
    I'll be more excited when someone can actually use the EDGE servcie and tell us if it is faster.

There is limited EDGE available here in Jakarta, but hopefully it will roll out faster now that the Treo 650 is out. The Treo 600 was hot when it first opened here. I hope teh quality of tha units is better this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kenney
    I'll be more excited when someone can actually use the EDGE servcie and tell us if it is faster.
    There is a comment in another thread here (unfortunately I don't have the link handy) suggesting one will need to be sitting on top of the cell tower antenna to have sufficent signal strangth to achieve EDGE and/or EVDO speeds.

Do a search for EDGE and/or EVDO and maybe signal...oh, found it! Here it is:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...02&postcount=1
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/25/2004 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added "and/or EVDO" since I'm not sure what that post said; added URL last
    yeah, I had see that and had it in mind when I wrote my note. Add to that, i wonder how well it will be implimented in Jakarta.....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kenney

There is limited EDGE available here in Jakarta, but hopefully it will roll out faster now that the Treo 650 is out. The Treo 600 was hot when it first opened here. I hope teh quality of tha units is better this time.
    I have trialed EDGE, 1xRTT and EvDO and as I have said in previous posts, the voice quaility/coverage is not as good on the CDMA carriers but the CDMA data reliablility is far superior.

EDGE IS a faster technology than 1xRTT but it is so unreliable that you spend more time trying to hold your mouth right to get it to work that it becomes frustrating.

I have PC cards on all three and I have all but abandoned my EDGE card because of reliablilty. Where I cannot get EvDO, I prefer the slower speeds of 1xRTT to EDGE simply because of their reliability.

This is the major rub of the converged device for me: GSM is better for voice but CDMA is better for data. Maybe Sprint will buy Cingular and come out with a communicator that uses a GSM radio for voice and a CDMA radio for data... the ultimate device!

Carey\
    It is hard to compare the two because not every market has the greatest coverage depending on the carrier. As for edge it also depends on how much bandwidth (ds0's) are alloted for each channel. That has an effect on the consistant speed.