View Poll Results: Will you go from 600 to 650?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

105 49.07%
  • No

109 50.93%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Finally the 600 will be affordable. There is nothing on the 650 that makes it worth upgrading over the 600. I currently have the 300. Why pay $500+ when I can get nearly the same thing for a lot less? Bluetooth? Come on, that is another $60 for a headset. Thanks to all of you for beta testing the 600 for me. 8>)
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    It hasn't changed enough. I have moved from Visor phone all the way up, each time there was substantial changes. But now what? An improved resolution? Bluetooth? I am so bummed. This is such a disappointment.
    Yes i'll be upgrading. The new screen and processor is a huge factor. Now i can watch my tv shows on it.
    Sold my treo600 and hopefully Sprint will give some sort of rebate for existing customers so i would only shell out 100 or so more.
    H311 No!!!
    To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I'm usually a phone geek and I always want to be the first person in my block to get the latest and greatest phones/gadgets. I spent $600 last October and I'm not sure if I'm willing to cash out another $600 12 months later for a minor upgrade. I'm leaning more towards to skipping the Treo 650 and wait for some news on the next member of the new line of Treos (Treo 700).
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Why?
    Money. And in 12 months the 650 will be out of date anyway replaced by something newer and better . . .
    Yes, because I want the better screen.
    i don't know
    i've just spent $$ on SE s700i
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I wanted the 650 soo bad but now that it is here I am saying huh. I ve been taking a long look at the PPCs Screen, Memory, Wifi, Bluetooth Larger screen and a nice load of default software to boot.
    But then again the T ahs been pretty good to me.

I just don't know
    I will if/when Profiles, CallFilter, and BrightCam work on it
    The processor, removable battery, screen, and BT do it for me. Besides, it has more buttons
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    no. here's what im looking for in an upgrade:

1) 500 - 624 mhz intel processor

2) 64 mb flash ram

3) wifi capable

4) ev-do

5) 320 x 320 screen

6) 1.3 - 2.0 mp camera

7) voice command / voice dial

as hard on the treo 650 as I've been here, I must admit it does look very beautiful.

pros: 1 flash memory
    2 gorgeous 320 x 320 res
    3 upgraded keyboard
    4 removable battery
    5 blazer 4
    6 312 mhz intel processor

cons:
    1. no wifi
    2 measely 23 mb ram avail.
    3. no ev-do
    4. different connector -
    need new accessories
    5. camera is still 0.3 mpixel
    zoom is no big addition

the pros outnumber the cons, and I am in love with the overall beauty of the treo 650, but still there are too many cons for me to reason paying an overall $800 for.
    This is turning into a tougher call than I originally anticipated...

EDGE is a major plus. This alone could tip things in favor of upgrading.

The other little incremental improvements (SD card holding improvement, better keyboard, bundled IMAP) are also good.

I would much prefer WiFi to bluetooth, but bluetooth is good. Looking forward to that BT headset.

Screen improvement is also nice, but it's not as big a deal for me as it is for others.

Not having a 1.3 megapixel camera is a very big disappointment. Struggling to understand why they didn't add it.

No loyalty upgrade program is also a hit.

Reports of the battery being loose and other build quality problems also have me concerned. Nothing is more annoying than having a battery wiggling loosely around on a $600 device.

I think what it will come down to is what is the liklihood of a Treo 700 by the April timeframe. If that 700 includes UMTS, WiFi, and a better camera then I would definitely wait for that model. But if I have to wait for another year then I'll definitely upgrade to the 650. I have a hard time believing that P1 can continue to roll out one new Treo per year, so I think the odds definitely favor a mid-2005 Treo 700 (especially with EVDO and UMTS becoming widely available right around then).

So, without further adieu, let's start cranking up the great TreoCentral rumor mill for Treo 700 specs and release date!
    Off to iPhone land...
    I'm beginning to think that Pa1mOne is not as good at product development as Handspring was. Exhibit A of how consumers suffer when competition is eliminated. I just bought a T600 from Verizon and unless there is a big surprise, I feel like the 650 is such a small upgrade that I don't even care that VZW doesn't carry it. I just bought it on Fri, so there's a 30 day window for the price to come down (fingers crossed). How long has P1 been in existence, and this is the best they can come up with??
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I dont think I'n upgrading. There's nothing really eye catching about the 650. I think it really was just a way for Palmone to put their stamp on the treo line and rid themselves of handspring affiliation.
    you know, I've begun to wonder the same thing.

its almost like wondering why a manager would take a winning power pitcher out of a game and replace him with an offspeed pitcher, which allows the opposing team score some more runs and blow the lead.

I am so disappointed with palmone I am considering selling all stock. its hard to keep supporting a company that seems bent on coming up short on its promises.

its also hard to keep supporting a co. that doesn't make you feel like they will be the first to produce the cutting edge smartphone capabilities.

the mda III blows the treo 650 out of the water as far as specs go. cumulatively, it wins.

the ONLY thing right now to the treo's advantage is the form factor.
    If this had been available sooner I'd have have gone for it like a flash. The lack of bluetooth on the Treo 600 was very annoying. However, things have already moved on an there are already much more advanced phones out there even before the 650 is available. Sorry PalmOne, you missed your chance.
    Yes but the form factor is a major thing to a lot of people. Size wise, the Treo is right on the edge of what I will put to my head. Don't forget about battery life.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    I think what it will come down to is what is the liklihood of a Treo 700 by the April timeframe. If that 700 includes UMTS, WiFi, and a better camera then I would definitely wait for that model. But if I have to wait for another year then I'll definitely upgrade to the 650. I have a hard time believing that P1 can continue to roll out one new Treo per year, so I think the odds definitely favor a mid-2005 Treo 700 (especially with EVDO and UMTS becoming widely available right around then).
    I hate to say this but you've got to be smoking some pretty good crack to think that palm1 is going to add all this stuff in less than 6 months when the only thing they've been able to do in a year is add the features that should have been on the original phone. I'm now absolutely convinced that Palmone has become content to leave the innovating up to other companies and follow the curve rather than creating their own curve.

Lately, the decisions coming from Palm1 seem to have crossed the line from questionable to just plain stupid. They release a wifi card but when it first came out, it only worked on a discontinued unit and STILL won't work on the Treo 650. they have a bluetooth card but refuse to release drivers for os5, their brand new top of the line unit actually DROPPED features from the previous model, their only unit with builtin wifi is now more than a year and a half old, they announce a new operating system but seem to be unable to release a handheld able to run it and they release a new smart phone but forget that, like computers, programs keep getting bigger and bigger requiring more memory.

I'm living in France now and I just got an advertisement for the latest batch of 3g phones. Check out the Sharp 902 if you want to see how far Palm1 is behind the times. UMTS, 2mp camera with OPTICAL zoom (not that digital zoom marketing garbage), and a 262,000 color screen. Granted the form factor is completely different and the screen has slightly smaller resolution but this phone is way ahead of the treo 650. The only thing going for the Treo right now is palmos.

The point here is that Palm1 had a great start with the Treo 600 but to me, the 650 just proves that Palm1 is completely incapable of innovating on a scale comparable to Motorola, Samsung, and Sony, not to mention all the manufacturers coming out with MS Smart Phones. Handspring was able to innovate, even as a company smaller than palm1 but when was the last time Palm1 came out with something groundbreaking that they didn't get by buying another company? My guess? It's going to take AT LEAST another year for UMTS, a 1mp camera, and more memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    7) voice command / voice dial
    This will be available very soon on the 600! Head over to mtdn for more info...
    Animo et Fide
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast