View Poll Results: Will you go from 600 to 650?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

105 49.07%
  • No

109 50.93%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Nope.
    For all the reasons you folks have stated.
    Guess I'm gonna sit tight with my 600. I'm still waiting for a nice Samsung clamshell that has BOTH an SD card and Palm OS anyway. The 650 ain't tri-mode (using Sprint) anyway, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by deviate925
    I hate to say this but you've got to be smoking some pretty good crack to think that palm1 is going to add all this stuff in less than 6 months when the only thing they've been able to do in a year is add the features that should have been on the original phone. I'm now absolutely convinced that Palmone has become content to leave the innovating up to other companies and follow the curve rather than creating their own curve.
    Handspring, not P1 pushed the envelope. It is not clear that P1 even knows where the edge of the envelope is.
    May get it if it end up being under $100 after selling my 600. that's highly unlikely so most likely not. Mostly because of 23MB RAM. What a joke. WiFi is taking the world by storm. San Francisco is even hoping to provide free Wifi everywhere for everyone in the city and Palm gives us a new Treo which even they admit may never be able to have Wifi. Brilliant.
    I bought a PDA2k and can safely say... Microsoft has finally done it. I have moved to the dark side. My pda2k is like having a Treo 1000. It really is that much better (to me).

I can't believe they don't get the Wifi issue here!!?!? Its sooo good. I can hardly explain. Also being able to switch to widescreen for Excel and Internet Explorer!! Its soo good. I added a 1gb SD card and wow Media player is soo nice.
    The PDA2k looks really nice, I was looking forward to 650, buy no no more.

I may spend my $600 plus tax on the PDA2k.
    I voted no because, in checking the link provided in the email from Palm, it didn't state Edge support. It wasn't until I brought up the datasheet that I see it supports Edge.

My plans are, when my year contract with Sprint is up, to change to another vendor, such as AT&T, even though it is still more expensive. However, Sprint's coverage is poor where I live.

And if the coverage were to improve between now and then, I would just stay with my existing 600, since it is still a decent phone (just too slow with Documents to Go). Upgrading just for bluetooth and hires wouldn't be worth it to stay with Sprint.

If I move to AT&T, (whose $25/month unlimited internet plan is cheaper than their it was early in the year), I don't know what I would do. I may go with the 650, if it is decently priced. Or I may just go with a cheaper bluetooth/edge phone, and buy a standalone Palm with bluetooth.
    Nope. Originally got all excited like the rest of you folks, but these minor upgrades are certainly not worth another $600. Im happy with my 600.
    No...this is simply not enough of an improvement. I'll wait for wi-fi, I'll wait to see how the BT modem for Sprint angle works out, I'll wait for a better camera with a flash, I'll wait for push-to-talk support. I love the new screen but I'll wait.
    I know Kung Fu...
    P.S.

I think there is certainly a lot loss of a "Buzz" about the 650. A lot of us have some mixed feelings we probably did not have when we JUMPED from the T300 to the T600. I hope the folks at P1 are following this website because they are going to be sorry in a few months when they realize sales are not what they should have been.
    I was undecided yesterday, but after seeing and reading more stuff on the Treo 650 today (especially on the front page), I will most likely buy it as soon as it's available for Sprint.
    P1 keeps this up they will lose a big chunk of market share to the MS Smartphones. They need to go bleeding edge all the time. No time for sitting around here or MS camp will eat their lunch and dinner. I will be looking into the the PDA2k. Let's see if the formfactor is really a big factor compared to my Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobum
    P1 keeps this up they will lose a big chunk of market share to the MS Smartphones. They need to go bleeding edge all the time. No time for sitting around here or MS camp will eat their lunch and dinner. I will be looking into the the PDA2k. Let's see if the formfactor is really a big factor compared to my Treo 600.
    My Palm Vx with Omnisky could not compete with the 270. The 270 could not compete with the 600. However, my configured and stable 600 competes very well with a 650 that I must pay $600 for, sometime in 2005, and port all my applications to. P1 admits that some of my old software will not work; it is small comfort that the third party developers just have to tweak it a little.

Admittedly, the 650 has a nicer screen. However, my screen is not a problem. As with every Palm I have ever had, memory on my 600 is a problem but the 650 does not fix that. The 650 has a nicer keyboard but my keyboard is not a problem. I still have not fully programmed my wetware for the 600 keyboard, I am not anxious to start over. The 650 has a faster processor but my processor is not a problem. The 650 has BT but my headset, IRDA, and my cable are not problems. I have tried a BT headset; it was noisy, had short battery life, was inconvenient to charge, and I still had to get to the phone to answer it. The 650 has EDGE support but T-Mobile does not offer EDGE and I am not anxious to swtich carriers to get it early. Might I do it at some point in the future? Perhaps. What I am not likely to do is switch early in anticipation of it.

I almost forgot the fact that my 600 is plug compatible with all of my cables and accessories. Changing connectors makes the system cost of the 650 much higher and makes my 600 much more competitive with it.

I will be grateful to those of you, it looks like as many as half, who switch between now and 2Q2005 and report back here. Perhaps you will sell me but P1 clearly has not.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/26/2004 at 10:40 PM.
    I don't think I am quite as "techy" as many people here. I have been very lucky and have only had the one Treo 600 so far.

The ONLY thing that would matter to me is the screen resolution. I do carry my photos on my Treo and use it to read e-books (carrying 20 books at a time is very fun!).

Since my Mom has been getting my hand me downs since the Handspring Visor I don't sell them to make up any difference.

The bottom line....it really is not worth a months rent to me at this time....now when Mom's 300 breaks down? Then time for a new phone for me!
    NO!

Palm is going to regret taking advantage of the positive reaction to the Treo 600. I want a better/bigger screen and better browser. I am NOT willing to pay $600 (or even $450 with trade-in) for these things. Sprint has crippled Bluetooth, so I have no interest in using it now. No WiFi. No increase in RAM. No voice control/dial/memo software. This should be the Treo 601.

Too little, too late.

Buh-Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbear
    NO!

Palm is going to regret taking advantage of the positive reaction to the Treo 600. I want a better/bigger screen and better browser.
    i dont think they will regret anything.

if this poll is to be believed and 50% of treo 600 users will upgrade, palmone can look foward to a little over 300,000 units already sold. and now look at the other poll where non 600 users are voting yes to the 650.

It looks to me that palmone has another hit on its hand.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i dont think they will regret anything.

if this poll is to be believed and 50% of treo 600 users will upgrade, palmone can look foward to a little over 300,000 units already sold. and now look at the other poll where non 600 users are voting yes to the 650.

It looks to me that palmone has another hit on its hand.
    Perhaps. However, through how many annual cycles will P1 customers continue to pay $50- a month for just barely good enough?
    I'm not upgrading mainly because of cost. My 600 cost what I consider to be alot even though I got the upgrade discount from my 180. I'd like to get about 2 yrs use out of it before shelling out the $$ for a new one. There's also no features that I absolutely need that aren't in the 600 so I can hold off awhile. Sure, the 650 is nice, don't get me wrong. I'd love to have one if I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

So the treo that follows the 650 will probably be my next upgrade. If that's not until 2006, so be it. Just so long as my 600 holds out that long
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbear
    NO!

Palm is going to regret taking advantage of the positive reaction to the Treo 600. I want a better/bigger screen and better browser. I am NOT willing to pay $600 (or even $450 with trade-in) for these things. Sprint has crippled Bluetooth, so I have no interest in using it now. No WiFi. No increase in RAM. No voice control/dial/memo software. This should be the Treo 601.

Too little, too late.

Buh-Bye!

Where have you been, the 650 will be WiFi capable, voice control/dial/memo software is already working on the 650. So your only real complaint is no increase RAM. However, there are ways around this issue too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Where have you been, the 650 will be WiFi capable....
    Perhaps. I do not think that it is at all obvious. At the same point in 600 announcement fiasco, one would have been justified in concluding the same thing about the 600. From what I read, none of the issues have gone away. There is still a power problem and missing drivers. Now we learn that there is also a radio interference problem. While no one else seems to think so, I think there is a memory issue. With only 23 MBs of user memory on the 650, I do not see how one can give up the SD slot to get Wi-Fi. It may be that good intentions are not enough. It may be that the intentions do not match the rhetoric.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234