Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    If you don't like the conversation, for God's sake don't read it. I love the fact these people are complaining about the rantings, but still reading them. Upgrading from anything Sprint is awesome, unless the 650 is on Sprint.
    Dumb question perhaps, but how would we know this is negative ranting UNTIL we read it?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Dumb question perhaps, but how would we know this is negative ranting UNTIL we read it?
    Half way good point, until you read the name of the thread "The Treo 650 Stinks" would give most people half a clue. Those with a clue, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo
    Have you actually played with any of the PPC phones? they are huge, they drink batteries like they were Kool-Aid(R), and if you lose power the desktop software won't try and re-sync with them but will trash the 'profile' and force you to create a new one and re-install everything. I had a PPC and it needed to be charged every night! If you want a camera, buy a camera. If you don't mind needing to charge your device all the time, get a PDA with Wi-Fi. If you want a Smartphone, buy a 650.
    Sorry wrong here. Pda2k (PPC) is a few mm biger, and doesn't feel biger when using it (I have both). The i-mate JAM (PPC) just was released and is actually smaller than the Treo infact. Battery life is actually better on the PDA2k than a CDMA Treo600.
    Half way good point, until you read the name of the thread "The Treo 650 Stinks" would give most people half a clue. Those with a clue, anyway.
    Oh ok, so everyone here who thinks your whining (and AndrewTreo) about the 650 that took the time to disagree with you is now clueless.

For what it's worth I read this thread to see what silly comments someone who hasnt even touched a 650 could make about it sucking. I think it makes far more sense to post comments on actual experience than imagined disappointment based on nothing more than a spec sheet. But then I am clueless so what do I know right?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Another thing I want to chime in here with, memory management and stability are NOT A PROBLEM on the new PPC's. Damn.. I have 128meg of RAM!! Its virtually limitless. With only 32 meg on the Treo650, I would not be able todo anything on it. By the time I loaded my email client, I could not add anymore to it (just like on my Treo600).

Its ok though. I didn't believe a microsoft PDAPhone would be viable for another few years either. I am so amazed how well they have done recently with these new models. Its hear now, and Palm is going to hit a slippery slope if they don't hurry up... and Fast!
    Oh ok, so everyone here who thinks your whining (and AndrewTreo) about the 650 that took the time to disagree with you is now clueless.

For what it's worth I read this thread to see what silly comments someone who hasnt even touched a 650 could make about it sucking. I think it makes far more sense to post comments on actual experience than imagined disappointment based on nothing more than a spec sheet. But then I am clueless so what do I know right?
    No, they can disagree with my "whining" fine. So who can acutally comment on a product that was announced, not released, 24 hours ago? I read other whinings and not complain about them. But you must be clueless if you can't understand the meaning of my post. I said those who entered the thread and expected to find praises for the 650 in a thread labeled, "The 650 Stinks" must be clueless. If you don't understand that, I would be happy to explain it further, why that doesn't make sense to me.
    So who can acutally comment on a product that was announced, not released, 24 hours ago?
    My point exactly.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I wonder how many tc members work for palm. Maybe even the guys who built and designed these things check out this site. I bet some of them hang out here and play dumb about new devices. They then defend their poor decisions to us.......pretending to be casual users.
    Remarks like these are really uncalled for. If that's what you think this site is for, get yourself a Pocket PC and and get the hell out. If you just joined this year you cannot possibly know how great this place is for all of us Treo owners!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    As far as I can tell, they didn't intend to make this an upgrade. This is just another option. I don't see how anyone would want to "upgrade" with so few diferences.
    Exactly! This is a revision. The 650 doesn't stink, its just that its not the cream of the crop. Its got some good features, but its no longer the standard by which all competitors are measured by.
    Not quite up to expectation.

1) RAM , not sufficient! At least 256MB, 512M will be great!.
    2) No WiFi.
    3) Additional SD slot would be better. Its such a large form-factor, surely they can find another space for the SD slot.
    4) Greater than 400Mhz cpu would be the way to go, especially the PPC already rides on 400 Mhz Xscale.
    Hi Guys

I can understand why soem of you guys are not all the happy.

But as they said it is evolutionary. I was going to buy a 600 in the middle of the year but the screen res and the fact that the 650 was going to be coming has made me hold off.

I spent the rest of the time reading the threads on the great site. I read about how many different things could be done with one device everything from mail, MP3, books etc etc etc to people suing it in medicine and in even in their planes!

Whilst it may not be to everyones liking for me this device is going to be woderful. All it offers in the true phone like form.

I currently have a T and a crappy phone and the thought that in the next few weeks (please,please!!) I will be playing around with a device like the 650 makes me a very happy bunny indeed.

Anyway why don't you sell your 600's, buy the 650 really look after it and keep everything in top notch condition and for the next 6-12 months enjoy the new screen, faster speed, better email, better browser etc and then sell the 650 on to someone as soon as we hear about the next new model. It appears to me that people who have sold their 600's have had no trouble and get really decent resale $$$.

Just my Baht's worth.

Cheers
    BBKBAZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fteo540i
    Not quite up to expectation.

1) RAM , not sufficient! At least 256MB, 512M will be great!.
    2) No WiFi.
    3) Additional SD slot would be better. Its such a large form-factor, surely they can find another space for the SD slot.
    4) Greater than 400Mhz cpu would be the way to go, especially the PPC already rides on 400 Mhz Xscale.
    1. I would agree with you only in the context of power users. for the joe schmoe users, that makes up for most of palmones target market, 24mb is more than enough memory. especially when you load the fat apps like docs to go on the memory card.

2. there was an explanation somewhere about wifi interfering with the gsm radio on the treo. not sure why, but there's a proper justification for why wifi wasnt included. for me personally, if it wasnt for my home network, wifi would be useless, especialyl since my notebook is 2.2lbs and has gprs built in.

3. what for? what would you use the extra sd slot for? wifi doesnt work, it already has a built in camera, and if you need gps, the external bluetooth solutions are a lot more convenient and practical. as for memory, 1gb cards have gone down in price to as low as 50$ with rebates, so memory isnt an issue..

4. again, useless in a treo. the 316mhz proc. is already blazing fast on the device considering it doesnt run bloated ms-ware.. with the imate, you have to consider memory management, and mutli tasking takes a big chuck out of your speed when youre running more than 3-4 programs at a time. not only that, but faster the processory, bigger the battery drain. id rather have a phone that lasts 2-3 days than a phone that can play videos at 30fps... it IS a phone after all right?

on a side note, i give the imate the advantage in 2 areas:
    - today screen: there have been similar apps released for the palm os which try to recreate this, but with the amount of plugins and addons available to enhance the today page, theres just nothing comparable with the palm

- games: for card games and stylus based games, both platforms are pretty comparable. but when it comes down to action/rpg/sports, no contest, ppc wins hands down.
    Hey SpaceHog, congratulations on being right not long ago. Consider yourself vindicated. I knew it all along!

I will repeat what I said higher in this thread. I don't hate the new 650; if I were fresh in the market, it would receive my primary consideration. However, as the owner of a 600, I am disappointed that this is a marginal upgrade, and I do mean marginal, over the 600. I will not trade mine in unless I can do it for minimal cost (100-200), and/or mine gets lost/broken/stolen and I can do the switch again for minimal cost.

Hopefully, P1 will do something to retain the loyalty of people like me. SpaceHog, any leaks about the Treo700 you would care to share with us??????
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    hey dalai, nice to see i got you on my side now. the 650 is by no means an upgrade to the 600. thats what most people fail to understand. the 650 isnt a replacement, it's a complement to teh 600. like the zire 31 vs. the 72. its not like one's better than the other, theyre different devices catered to different markets. you might say, "but where can the treo 600 target that the 650 cant outclass it in?" the 600 is cheaper, and the plan is to drop its price to a point where people considering the purchase of a high end nokia or SE phone will consider paying a little more and getting a full-fledged smartphone.
    To ***** about a pbone yuu have not even seen is idiotic. Some of you need to get a life.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Form factor *is* important. Treo has the lead for now, but how does it compare to something like this, for example,

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Mo..._Announces_MPx
    with price, i will choose 599 over 999 anyday. yeah you have wi-fi, but look at the cons of that device. its bigger, the treo has a better resolution, and here is the kicker, the mpx is only 200MHZ(has a TI omap 1510 processor) LOL i was all on this device when it was first announced but when i found that out i said hell nah!!! so every time i thought of a treo replacement for me, i find out something to make me glad i have my treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    i second that
    and we are as early adopter be the troubleshooter
    we should get discount instead
    we should all be their beta testers...!! lol
    My point exactly.
    Anyway, I never said that the Treo 650 was not a good product. I think what 90% of the thousands of complaints on this site were disappointment in what evolved or didn't evolve in 1 YEAR. We don't need the phone in our hand to know WiFi does not work, we don't need the phone in our hand to know that .3mp is not going to look great, and we don't need the phone in our hand to know that there is not enough memory. If the phone is more reliable, great!

Those of us with a record of owning the Treo products expected more, we have received more every other year. Maybe we are spoiled but, Handspring made large leaps, Palm didn't, maybe it will be a tighter product because of that, I don't know. We are used to having phones with features unavailable on other phones, now we are slightly behind, but, maybe the product is still better. Handspring always gave us a decent discount $150-$200 on new phones. I understand that is no longer happening, but maybe I am wrong. With a kick in from Cingular $150-$200 in credit, I easily justified my new phones. I am going to be lucky if Cingular does anything anymore, their cust serv sucks now, but hey I don't know anyone better at the moment.

Now that i found out that I can pay $349 instead of $599, I am happier. I will probably get one. I will try to work Cingular for hopefully $100, and sell the 600 for whatever they go for with accessories on Ebay. And hopefully I come out of the deal for $250 with accessories, and I will sit back and wait for the next evolution.

I bothers me that P1 is so tight with Sprint. I don't want the service provider dictating to the manufacturer what they can put on the phone, and what they can't. This is a rumor, I don't know if it is true or not. But, if Sprint had a strong voice in the camera (bandwidth) and Wifi thing, thats a bummer. For me, not the rest of the world, Sprint does not meet my needs at all. I depend on text messaging, it is not a toy, it is a requirement. In my experience, Sprint does not handle it reliably nor feels that it needs to be reliable, it's more of a gimmicky thing that if it works great, if it doesn't, it will in 2 or 3 days. In my area, SoCal, and in my experience traveling across the West and East Coast, thier phone coverage is improving but does not compete with the Cingular/T-Mobile/ATT free roaming coverage that Cingular provides. I need the world capabilities as well. And yes, I currently have another phone with Sprint. I am hoping to move all phones to Cingular in a family plan or somthing.

Anyway to the hundreds of other ranters, keep at it. If we stop ranting, the innovation will stop too. If you have noticed some of the newer news articles are starting to pick up on the fact that in reality, this is not much of an upgrade (whether it was supposed to be or not.)

Peace Out!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Form Factor is #1. There is absolutely no other device this size with a keyboard. The Blackberry is close, but its an email device and the PDA functions are bad.

It's tough to make something between a PDA and a Phone. The Treo is right smack in the middle. The Windows Mobile Smartphones are phones with some PDA functionality, the Windows Mobile PDA phones are PDAs with some phone functionality.

For me, I like the happy medium better than one or the other. I've used just about everything in the last couple of years and the Treo is the best form factor, hands down. The iPaq 6315 is nice with all the power, but its too BIG! The MPx220 is nice and small, but it doesn't have a keyboard.

The wifi part does kinda stink, I was hoping for that too. It's not a deal killer for me because the only time I have access to wifi is at home. When I'm home I can get off my lazy rear end and walk over to my PowerBook. If the 650 does truly support EDGE, it'll be quite fast.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Joe
    The 650 WILL BE WIFI CAPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast