Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Have you actually played with any of the PPC phones? they are huge, they drink batteries like they were Kool-Aid(R), and if you lose power the desktop software won't try and re-sync with them but will trash the 'profile' and force you to create a new one and re-install everything. I had a PPC and it needed to be charged every night! If you want a camera, buy a camera. If you don't mind needing to charge your device all the time, get a PDA with Wi-Fi. If you want a Smartphone, buy a 650.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    ... As for the camera, let's be clear, we're whining because we don't have a 1.3MP camera? Did I miss something? Since when did 1.3MP become something to aspire to?...

No, a 1.3MP camera is nothing to aspire to...you are correct...that is why the 0.3MP camera is such a joke!

well said
    PLEASE PEOPLE....
    1. You are forgetting the little ones that don't have a PDA phone/smartphone/ppc. To them, this 650 is like a Godsend. WHO CARES if its not a spectacular upgrade to the 600.
    2. You are also forgetting that Palmone/Handspring isn't that old. They only have 3 treos currently. When did the first one come out? 2 years ago...This is a huge step for PALMONE. To be on their 4th phone and to have all these accomodations on this device is amazing.
    3. PPC/Microsoft can blow it out their yin-yangs...It sucks, they crash, your memory is lost, they don't know how to treat customers, they don't know what customers want, they are just money driven. Palmone is smart by listening to the customer. Who knows, maybe in a couple of months to a year, There will be a treo 700/800/1000...that comes equipped with the latest space shuttle launcher. (A request, I'm sure will be maid eventually.)

Point is...THIS IS A GOOD FLIPPIN DEVICE...STOP KNOCKIN IT...and if you don't like it, WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!
    Well said, Jove. I have been avoiding this thread all day because frankly I'm sick of hearing people complain about a device that has only just today been fully announced.You all are acting like P1 somehow promised the moon. In reality, they never even acknowledged this device publicly before a couple of days ago.

I believe it was TC that broke the news about the 1.3 camera in the first place. The news that they had was admittedly a piece of leaked information that could not be substantiated - not to mention the fact that this phone has been in development almost since the 600 was released a year ago. If you all put this much effort into things like politics then people wouldn't have to worry about whether their vote will mean something next week.

THINGS CHANGE OVER THE COURSE OF DEVELOPEMENT - GET OVER IT, PLEASE!

If you guys don't like the new version, DON'T BUY IT! Please quit complaining about it! It's been getting harder and harder in the last few days to even read this section of the forum because of all the "this things is a piece of garbage" posts. Some of us, myself included, have a 600, and don't care about the stupid camera or WiFi since IT'S A PHONE first. I am anxiously awaiting the release of this phone because I believe it does have substantial improvements over the 600. Yes, WiFi and a megapixel camera would be cool, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a phone first. If it wasn't, it would be a PPC, and look how utilitarian their devices are. They have everything, but they are huge, and look odd being used like a phone.

We are all here because we like the Palm OS. For one reason or another, you all are here because you like the Handspring/PalmOne devices. Please just accept them for what they are - evolving technology. Just because the PPC platform is capable of something does not mean the Palm platform is. Again, there is a reason why Palm still holds the lead in this race with Microsoft.

Can't we all just stop furiously bashing a product that is an evolutionary upgrade (probably why it's the 650 and not the 700)? This is the best Treo website around, but it's posts like these, and the 20 others from the last couple days, that make it not worth hanging out in.

I'll get off my soapbox now, since we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm just frustrated to see so much hatred for a device that isn't designed to provide everything in the world; it's designed to be good at what it is designed to do. The PPC phones are nice phones, but much of their technological advances are bleeding edge, and not leading edge. Read some of the real world reviews if you doubt that.

Mike
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I wonder how many tc members work for palm. Maybe even the guys who built and designed these things check out this site. I bet some of them hang out here and play dumb about new devices. They then defend their poor decisions to us.......pretending to be casual users.
    Another way to look at it....

The Treo 600 was so revolutionary from the Treo 300 b/c it went up three hundred whole numbers! Treo 600 to Treo 650 is only fifty... hence evolutionary not revolutionary
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I also was avoiding this thread, because I didn't wanted to get caught up in the whole hoopla. Anywayz, I am excited about the new Trea 650, for me the upgrades is sufficient enough. The T650 will be my first Treo ever, and I am highly satisfied with the specs so far. I can tell you one thing, the resolution does make a difference. I felt that the Treo 600 suffered a great deal because of its resolution, was one of the reason I opted for a Color Sidekick instead. Graphics and images were horrid looking on the T600. Especially when playing video's with the Kinoma Player. Surfing the web was not satisfactory. Photos was a disaster especially when taken in low light situations. And that was partly do to the fact that resolution sucked. The Keyboard has been revamped, with much spacious layout. Menu buttons have been relocated in more conveaniant area. Processor have been boosted, which will make a difference in software. Bluetooth alone is cherry on top, no need to say why. Video recorder capability added, which will be a nice touch for those moments like your childs first steps, or your sisters first vocal audition. Basically I think that his is a well put together phone from formfactor to usibility and reliability now with the nonvolotied flash memory and a removable battery. Now with that said, please with the WiFi, I don't know anyone in my area (NYC) who cares one smack about WiFi. Why WiFi when you can get unlimited always on internet connection. Voice dialing is only cool, because it looks cool when your doing it, but has no real benefits. After using voice dialing for about a week or so, you'll eventually forget you have it. Basically, most of the options and features you guys are crying about are not wanted by the norm. Especially voice dialing, when it came out in 1999. Its already played out, so who cares, been there done that. I want the treo for more reasonable upgrades than to just have a bunch of features that will not be of any use to me. And I am speaking from the norm.

Please don't blast me, just my opinion.
    So, not everybody likes the Treo 650. So what?
    It may be an incremental improvement, but most of Palm’s successful devices were. Let’s take a look back…
    Palm III – Palm V
    A little more RAM, POS upgrade, and improved form.
    Palm V – Tungsten T
    Again, a little more RAM, POS upgrade, Bluetooth, hi-res screen, different form.
    M1XX – Zire (XX)
    Again, a little more RAM, POS upgrade, thinner form.
    Tungsten T – Tungsten T3
    More RAM, stretchy screen, different form.
    Of course, Palm has had its failures: m125, m130, Tungsten W, Tungsten T2, Tungsten T5, etc…
    But everybody has failures (Windows ME anybody?)
    Give the Treo 650 a chance.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Great thread. The reason I may jump ship is I am so damn sick and tired of the probems with the 600 - I am on my 4th replacement, have the network search issue now. If the 650 is anything like the 600 I am not sure I can take anymore of an unstable device that doe snot last more than 2-3 months.

I know some people have had no problem - but there are so many issues with the 600. A redesign to me = a whole fresh crop and they cannot even provide stable 600s!

I love mine but am running out of gas on the soft resets, the network, the orange blotch issue, the broken volume keys..
    Thats it pda2k.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    haha nice avatar
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    in the end...all of these devices are supposed to make our lives better....not consume them!

geesh JHF1 You are the number one poster in this thread, every couple of post maybe you got the bug like the rest of us do.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    It's simple. If you don't like the T650 because it doesn't have the MP camera, don't buy one. No amount of complaining in the world is gonna make them stop production and include the camera in this model. The MP camera is gonna be for a future Treo as one of the incentives to get people to upgrade. If you wanna talk about what it doesn't have there will be hundreds of posts on that. "Why doesn't it have the MP camera?, Why doesn't it have voice dialing?, Why doesn't it have GPS, Why doesn't it have a Gig of memory, Why doesn't it have and FM radio? Why doesn't it have a TV tuner, Why doesn't it have 6.1 Dolby surround? Why doesn't it have a flash/video light?" Etc., etc., etc.,! It is what it is. Don't "woulda, coulda, shoulda, the device to death.
    So why doesn't it have the above. I'll take that...
    I have been using a Samsung i700 since it came out and saw the release info for the 650 and thought maybe it was time to upgrade.

This thread has made it clear it will be a downgrade

Guess I'll go back to lurking until the *50 comes out
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Actually, since a full keyboard is not a necessity for me, I am strongly considering the Nokia 6630. PPC is not the only alternative for smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    Well said, Jove. I have been avoiding this thread all day because frankly I'm sick of hearing people complain about a device that has only just today been fully announced.You all are acting like P1 somehow promised the moon. In reality, they never even acknowledged this device publicly before a couple of days ago.

I believe it was TC that broke the news about the 1.3 camera in the first place. The news that they had was admittedly a piece of leaked information that could not be substantiated - not to mention the fact that this phone has been in development almost since the 600 was released a year ago. If you all put this much effort into things like politics then people wouldn't have to worry about whether their vote will mean something next week.

THINGS CHANGE OVER THE COURSE OF DEVELOPEMENT - GET OVER IT, PLEASE!

If you guys don't like the new version, DON'T BUY IT! Please quit complaining about it! It's been getting harder and harder in the last few days to even read this section of the forum because of all the "this things is a piece of garbage" posts. Some of us, myself included, have a 600, and don't care about the stupid camera or WiFi since IT'S A PHONE first. I am anxiously awaiting the release of this phone because I believe it does have substantial improvements over the 600. Yes, WiFi and a megapixel camera would be cool, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a phone first. If it wasn't, it would be a PPC, and look how utilitarian their devices are. They have everything, but they are huge, and look odd being used like a phone.

We are all here because we like the Palm OS. For one reason or another, you all are here because you like the Handspring/PalmOne devices. Please just accept them for what they are - evolving technology. Just because the PPC platform is capable of something does not mean the Palm platform is. Again, there is a reason why Palm still holds the lead in this race with Microsoft.

Can't we all just stop furiously bashing a product that is an evolutionary upgrade (probably why it's the 650 and not the 700)? This is the best Treo website around, but it's posts like these, and the 20 others from the last couple days, that make it not worth hanging out in.

I'll get off my soapbox now, since we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm just frustrated to see so much hatred for a device that isn't designed to provide everything in the world; it's designed to be good at what it is designed to do. The PPC phones are nice phones, but much of their technological advances are bleeding edge, and not leading edge. Read some of the real world reviews if you doubt that.

Mike
    This is not evolutionary anymore this is deevolutionary. If you had been onboard since Visor-hone I guess you would understand. This is the weaklest, lamest, most un-pricejustified upgrade that those who have been onboard since the beginning have experienced. I think the biggest disappointment for "us complainers" is that it is no longer about creativity, it is no longer about what is possible, it is no longer about answering dreams, it is about bucks. Yes I know that the bottom line is bucks and we should accept it, but in the past Handspring seemed to keep the bucks idea in the back of thier mind while keeping the creativity and possibilities in the front. And yes I acknowledge, Handspring sold out, and now we are living with the minimum that a corporation can do to make the most of their dollars. Welcome to Bush Corporate America 2004, The least money spent to make the biggest bang for the buck. We now have the Treo 650 that next year will have a Walmart logo on the front.
    As far as I can tell, they didn't intend to make this an upgrade. This is just another option. I don't see how anyone would want to "upgrade" with so few diferences.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    This is not evolutionary anymore this is deevolutionary. If you had been onboard since Visor-hone I guess you would understand. This is the weaklest, lamest, most un-pricejustified upgrade that those who have been onboard since the beginning have experienced. I think the biggest disappointment for "us complainers" is that it is no longer about creativity, it is no longer about what is possible, it is no longer about answering dreams, it is about bucks. Yes I know that the bottom line is bucks and we should accept it, but in the past Handspring seemed to keep the bucks idea in the back of thier mind while keeping the creativity and possibilities in the front. And yes I acknowledge, Handspring sold out, and now we are living with the minimum that a corporation can do to make the most of their dollars. Welcome to Bush Corporate America 2004, The least money spent to make the biggest bang for the buck. We now have the Treo 650 that next year will have a Walmart logo on the front.
    I guess it is a good thing I did not buy the 600 lst year...For me upgrading from the 300 to the 650 is AWESOME!! Maybe this phone is not for current 600 users. Maybe it is to GAIN marketshare...what a concept. Of the choices out there right now...this is the phone for me. I have waited 12 mo for this phone...if you don't like it buy something else but for g*ds sake shut up!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    As far as I can tell, they didn't intend to make this an upgrade. This is just another option. I don't see how anyone would want to "upgrade" with so few diferences.
    This is the most sane look at the situation yet. Go you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    I guess it is a good thing I did not buy the 600 lst year...For me upgrading from the 300 to the 650 is AWESOME!! Maybe this phone is not for current 600 users. Maybe it is to GAIN marketshare...what a concept. Of the choices out there right now...this is the phone for me. I have waited 12 mo for this phone...if you don't like it buy something else but for g*ds sake shut up!
    If you don't like the conversation, for God's sake don't read it. I love the fact these people are complaining about the rantings, but still reading them. Upgrading from anything Sprint is awesome, unless the 650 is on Sprint.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast