Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    For me, the 650 is perfect. This is simpy bc when I was looking into getting a Treo600, I found this site, and found out about the 650. I am also coming from a T3. If I already owned the 600, I too would be a little ticked off!!!
    You represent the intended Treo 650 market. P1 did NOT intend existing Treo 600 users to upgrade to this device, IMO. The downside is that there are people who are looking to upgrade annually to the latest and greatest and P1 didn't provide enough incentive in this device. I've only had my VZW Treo 600 for 3 months so I'm not as antsy to upgrade. However, I will be looking for something new in 2005. I hope the Treo 650 will not be the best P1 has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrick
    We interviewed a Sprint rep on our radio show Saturday. While he didn't have any details about the 650, I think two things stood out that everyone is missing in this thread:

1. Although no wi-fi capabilities, Sprint (and other carriers) keep racheting up the data speed of their wireless networks. Dave (the guy we interviewed) mentiond that a new data system will be launched in early 2005 with at least 10X speed of current network.

Yeah, but will the T650 support this new data network? I didn't see anything about it in the specs! "1xRTT" is all I see!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    Ocean18 - who's the beauty in your Avatar?

YoungTurk
    http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/295/
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Hey Zoomer...we tried to corner him (nicely) about the 650 supporting the new network...he simply said he didn't know... If Palm misses the boat on that too, then I am jumping on the bandwagon with the rest of you.... I love Palm devices, but they have to keep themselves moving forward to stay ahead of PPC.
    Rick
    "...There is no try..." - Yoda
    illustreous, you may be correct in your assessment, but as a "geek" I'm the person that friends consult when making decisions to buy these types of devices. For all intents and purposes, the 600 is almost as good as the 650. Seeing as the price of the 600 must be lower than the 650 if P1 intends to sell both, I would have a hard time recommending the 650 to anyone who asks for my opinion. I would probably point them to the 600 or if they needed more functionality a PPC device. I couldn't in good concience have a friend pay a premium for the 650 which is only marginally improved from the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrick
    I agree with an earlier poster that mentioned wi-fi isn't everywhere...yet And having the ability to be online anywhere with cell coverage is awesome. And with Sprint, $15 for unlimited data is a bargain.
    I agreed with pretty much everything you said, but the part I quoted definitely sticks out. I had the Treo 600 for about 4 months (went thru 3 of them before I gave up on them) but I loved being able to go almost anywhere, no matter where I was. WiFi certainly isn't everywhere, but cell coverage is, which is why WiFi isn't a priority for making a smartPHONE... if people are complaining so much about WiFi they need to just get a high-end PDA IMO.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The big problem with the PDA2k is it does not support SprintPCS and isn't it around $1,000 to $1,200?

That's doubling the price, nearly triple with contracts.
    Around $800-$900 right now. Cingular and Sprint *should* be releasing their own versions pretty soon. Probably run $600-$700. Just a guess though

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by AfroCreame
    Around $800-$900 right now. Cingular and Sprint *should* be releasing their own versions pretty soon. Probably run $600-$700. Just a guess though
    Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software and embedded
    Bluetooth(R) Wireless Technology. Marketed by Audiovox, the PPC-6601 will be
    available early next month exclusively through Sprint business channels for a
    suggested retail price of $629.99. Later this year, Sprint plans to offer
    another version of the device, the Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device PPC-6600,
    which will include an embedded VGA-quality camera with flash and video
    capability. This second version of the device will be offered nationwide in
    all Sprint sales channels
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    its like after a long journey in reaching and finding the Holy Grail, you find it is full of Tang.
    IMO it would be nearly impossible for P1 to introduce anything other than an incremental upgrade at this particular time -
    • The proliferation of EDGE and EV-DO is insufficient to adopt bandwidth-intensive apps.
    • Palm OS itself is in transition to multi-threading with OS6
    • Market indecision between barebones Blackberry "just get the work done" enterprise oriented devices and MP3, all-in-one multi-media on-the-go devices.

I agree that the 650 is a disappointment for those of us looking for a revolutionary device that would set a new benchmark in the smartphone arena.

For those entering the smartphone market, however, the integrated activesync for exchange users, non-volatile memory and a 320x320 screen running PalmOS - this product will be a winner.

The rest of us will have to wait until some or all of the market issues begin to resolve themselves before we see P1 revolutionizing an already solid product.

One final rambling thought - Has anyone else wondered if MSFT is looking at PalmOS (PalmSource) as a potential merger candidate? That merger would kill two birds (Palm OS pdas/smartphones and Blackberry) with one stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    its like after a long journey in reaching and finding the Holy Grail, you find it is full of Tang.
    LOL!!!
    Its like if you are car shopping and you come across a two cars for about the same price. One car has a pop up sunroof, the other has automatic, one has a vinyl and plastic interior and the other has leather and woodgrain. One has no A/C, the other has A/C with climate zones. Both are good vehicles and get you from point A to point B, but for the money, you'd be better off the vehicle with more features.
    Unless the extra features interfere with the functioning of the car, break a lot and, in the long run, cost you more money.

If those extra features had been on the 650, I expect Sprint would be charging the extra $15/mo like they do for Microsoft OS phones. thats and extra $180/year and, as usually keep whatever phone I have about 18months, that would be $270 for me.

Add to that the fact that many of these extra features could cause difficulties and breakdowns and you see the business decision. You don't have to agree with it and you may decide not to go with the 650 because of it, but its not like somebody was sitting in an office and saying" "Wow, here is a chance to really cheat our customers and make them angry!!!" It is simply a cost/benifit decision with three entities involved in the calculations; P1, Carrier and Customer. If the thing is too complicated, too expensive, too time consuming to deal with compared to the price, and depending on the alternatives, number of units you can sell, reliability and so forth, it can become quickly "not worth it" for any of those three.

An interesting analogy somebody used in a business law class I taught once was the Sheman vrs. the Tiger tanks in WWII. No doubt the Tiger was a tank with more capabilities and higher performance. BUT it was complicated, hard to maintain, broke down regularly, could not be repaired by normal repair types and was much more expensive. Many tigers were abandond by crews not because of enemy action but simply because they broke down all the time and could not be fixed easily in the field. Shermans while less capable, hardly ever broke down, were cheap to make and easy to repair by average joes in the field. Even Shermans that were hit by enemy fire and the crew blown to bits were easy to hose out, patch up and send back in.

Moral: If you suffer a horrible death due to having a stroke because of your frustrations over the 650, be thankful that your heirs will find it much easier to use and maintain your 650 than if it had all of those extra features you wanted! Now THAT'S a grandfather clause!!!!
    I will be so happy when all these whiners buy their PPC bricks and get out of here.

The *****ing is quite tiring. Go outside or something.
    Honestly, I don't care much about Bluetooth,WiFi,Hi-Res camera etc. but the fact that Bluetooth is just added and WiFi & Hi Res camera are not shows a lack of innovation at Palm. I have my doubts about a company that fails to lead (remember Handspring brought us the Treo). I'm still waiting for Palm. Another analogy besides the WWII tanks would be the processor wars. AMD has faired much better since they believed they could beat Intel. Cyrix tried to just be non-innovative, "I'm out there" brand and they went away.

Palm can only ride the Handspring train for so long.
    Isnt there a treo 700 or something like that coming out in the future? So wouldn't they put all their effort towards innovations in that device?
    This is the best thread on TC ever! I'd like to take a 650 over to Palmone and shove it up Colligan's A_S_S!!!!!!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    steveme,

You're right. The rumors are and I really hope they're true, is that they have a new device(s) coming out before next Oct.

It would be odd if a car company made a car with no power windows. I might not need power windows, but I would still wonder about the car company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    ...... P1 did NOT intend existing Treo 600 users to upgrade to this device, IMO. The downside is that there are people who are looking to upgrade annually to the latest and greatest and P1 didn't provide enough incentive in this device. I've only had my VZW Treo 600 for 3 months so I'm not as antsy to upgrade. However, I will be looking for something new in 2005. I hope the Treo 650 will not be the best P1 has to offer.

BUT PALM SHOULD HAVE. They cannot sell a $600 phone to anyone but phone buffs. Phone buffs buy the lastest and greatest. Everyone else buys free phones. Palm should take care of the phone buffs first since we are the ones doing most of their advertising
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    BUT PALM SHOULD HAVE. They cannot sell a $600 phone to anyone but phone buffs. Phone buffs buy the lastest and greatest. Everyone else buys free phones. Palm should take care of the phone buffs first since we are the ones doing most of their advertising
    i second that
    and we are as early adopter be the troubleshooter
    we should get discount instead