Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Form Factor.
    If your main reason for buying a 650 is "form factor" - you're an *****. How about a year from now, what if the latest Treo still has WEAK improvements and is being lost in the dust by PPC units, but retains it's design - will you still buy due to "form factor?" I would hope not. Maybe, just maybe, the consumers should insist on better advancements by Palm and boycott crappy upgraded models like the "much anticipated" Treo 650! IMO, these last several weeks were extremely anticlimactic, and very disappointing. I just don't understand why in this age of technology a leading company such as PLMO would not kick *** and make leaps in modern improvements in their products. I hate it when big companies think they know what their consumers want - they obviously are wrong here!
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    I do not know why all of a sudden the phone STINKS, just because the camera has not been improved. Everything else about the phone was known to us several months ago. But do not tell SV because all the rest of the information that was gathered about the phone that was true was all just rumors and that the phone did not exists enough though we had pics of the phone several months ago.
    Well said Insp Gadget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    I am joining the ranks of the disappointed. Whilst the Treo 650 stands quite well on its own merits, as a successor to the 600, it falls short. For me, and this is probably far more a subjective than an objective decision, the marginal improvements are just that, marginal. If I were in the NEW phone market, I would of course buy the 650, but as one of the original 600 owners (and probably one of the few with the original instrument itself still running well), I am not going to make the change. The 600 still does what I need it to do, and does that fairly well. If I should have to replace it, and the option to upgrade to the 650 exists, I would do so, but otherwise, I'll just sit on the sidelines and wait for the Treo 700. Or 800. Or whatever.

PalmOne, are you listening? Why did you guys stop with a half-hearted revamp? I assume you lurk on this site. You knew what the masses really wanted. Look at this thread....it is the same refrain over and over. More memory, WiFi, better camera. I think you folks made too many compromises either to bring this device in at a $600 price point, and/or to introduce it on the one-year anniversary of the 600. I think this has been short-sighted, as you will not have as many of us turn over our 600's to 650's as you might have assumed.

Oh well, I can hold out for another year, I guess......
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Hmmm... Anyone notice the systems requirements? To use the 650 with a Mac, you need Windows! Oops

<http://web.palmone.com/products/smartphones/treo650/details.jhtml>

system requirements
    Windows
    •Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive

Macintosh
    • Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive
    I view the TREO 650 as a great improvement over anything Palm has yet to release. I have been undecided 'till now, but if I can use it with AT&T (GSM, etc.) at some point, I will definitely upgrade, and I will gladly pay the $50.00 to AT&T for unlimited data.

M515, Tungsten T, Tungsten C, Tungsten W, HP IPAQ h5555, back to Tungsten W.
    Inspector Gadget....

I dont think were looking for the kitchen sink here... Let's take a look at the four points you picked up on.

1. Put a 1.3MP camera in the 650? (No excuse not to in my opinion).

*I agree no excuse not to put a better camera*

2. Used a faster processor? (Perhaps at cost of battery life...though with a removable battery that wouldn't matter as much).

*Again you make a great point for a faster processor* but for me this is not a deal breaker, it is fast enough but hey....I wouldnt reject a faster processor

3. Put in 64MB of AVAILABLE FLASH memory? (Cost could be a factor. I know flash memory used to be rather expensive...I would have paid it. Availability of chips? Hmmm.).

*can you tell me how much memory the T5 has????????? Again, no excuse for this*

4. Included WiFI (built-in)...or at least on a card? (RUMOR: conflict with the radio? If so, they need to find another vendor for their equipment...or figure out what others are doing).

*now again if others have figured out how to do this, why can P1? I admit this also is not a deal break for me, EDGE is good enough for me and finding hot spots is not something I want to worry about. If I can get to my e-mail, sent, receive, surf the web where ever I am, Wi-Fi is just a cherry on top, but not a must have*

I guess what I am saying is that your four point show that the 650 should have been better and that there are other devices out there or some to come that will offer these better features. I have to admit, that I feel the camera being so low quality and the low memory are the deal breakers for me. And yes I know I can always use my Cybershot 5.0MP camera (but if I wanted to carry two devices I wouldnt look to buy a smartphone) and yes I could get a 1GB SD card for under $50 but not all application can load on a card. That is all I feel the 650 fell short of what was not only expect, but what was already out there.
    sorry guys, I'm not editing my typo before I post them. I will try to do better.
    So - who is the beautiful girl in your Avatar?

YoungTurk
    Ocean18 - who's the beauty in your Avatar?

YoungTurk
    That's Morgan Webb of course...

On the Treo 650, I have been putting off my next smart phone. I even skipped the treo 600 cause of the low res screen and went totally in the opposite direction and just got a Nokia phone to buy some time.

If the 650 had a 1.3 megapixel camera and wifi I would have bought it. I guess I'm waiting for the mpx now.

Why 1.3 camera? For my moblog and family photos I post. Why the wifi? To control my home mp3 player and home network
    We are not the masses. I'm sure P1 has done their market research to identify the who (and where) the masses really are. P1 seems to have made a business decision that, incidentally, is not a pro-geek one.

Take a look at it from their prospective: They have a fairly successful line of PDAs (Zire = proof in pudding). They have finally introduced a Wifi card for their PDAs - perhaps overcoming the tech limitations that were there beforehand originally precluding them from doing so. Now, they've become relatively successful with the Treo line of phones. This is in part due to complying with wireless carrier demands I'm sure. Think Verizon and Sprint want Wifi in any phones they sell? Hells no. I'd believe that carriers also put the pressure on P1 to go without the BT as well. But hey, if there's a happy medium with having BT then what is it? Think VZ/Sprint --> cripple it.

In an effort to understand what's going on with P1, I think it's pretty simple. Pure business decisions. I think they do have the ability to include BT 1.2 and Wifi. They choose not to because: wireless carrier (industry) pressures and new product marketing (now why would you want a Treo 700? Because it has Wifi and BT 1.2).

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    PalmOne, are you listening? Why did you guys stop with a half-hearted revamp? I assume you lurk on this site. You knew what the masses really wanted. Look at this thread....it is the same refrain over and over. More memory, WiFi, better camera. I think you folks made too many compromises either to bring this device in at a $600 price point, and/or to introduce it on the one-year anniversary of the 600. I think this has been short-sighted, as you will not have as many of us turn over our 600's to 650's as you might have assumed.
    looks like i'll be waiting to see how the 650 stacks up against the motorola MPX and some others... let's hope my refurb'ed 300 holds up a while
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Andrew I agree with you ... Although palmone took they market by storm (and i have the 600) i think they lost their lead
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    I'm sure everyone already know this but, Amazon.com is selling the Treo 600 on AT&T Service for $199 (after rebates)...I will have to pick one up for my sister, I was going to buy two T650, but the 600 is good enough for now. And for that price, not bad, not bad at all
    I'm on the same boat with a lot of T600 owners here. I think P1 has made a good phone here, no doubt, but definitely did not make a "must have upgrade". I am thinking the only way I will upgrade is if P1 offers a serious discount similar to what Handspring did for Treo300 owners. BTW, Has anyone heard of this? Then I could get a T650 for 400-450, sell my current 600 for 250 on ebay, and get the new one for 150-200 out of pocket! Then it might be worth it! If I have to drop 400 bones for it, NO WAY. There isn't enough here to justify it.
    And to add to my ranting...this phone is pretty unimpressive "upgrade" in the end.

My biggest beefs are with the low internal memory (23 MB???? WTF?), the once again crippled SD slot, no integrated voice support (WTF again! - I want voice dialing!!!!!), and the choice to NOT use PalmSource's OS 6.0 (Cobalt)! Hopefully the initial rumor that the SD slot will not support a Wi-Fi card is false! AND why, even though PalmSource has released the new OS, are we not using it? What are companies waiting for? Do we have to wait till next year for Cobalt devices? Can PalmOne think of any better platform to be the flagship for the new OS than their Treo line? Sure, the form-factor is great, but it won't take long for others to surpass it. Heck, I might go get a Blackberry 7100T (only $200 brand new!).

But heck, maybe this is why it is only "650" and not a "700", Palm may have realized this is just a little teeny tiny upgrade. If so, please be nice to us loyal T600 users...a little loyalty can go a long way in the industry! DISCOUNTS PLEASE!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    they are crippling their SD slot on purpose because carriers dont want this phone to have wifi ESPECIALLY sprint who dont want people bypassing vision plans and vision business packs.
    We interviewed a Sprint rep on our radio show Saturday. While he didn't have any details about the 650, I think two things stood out that everyone is missing in this thread:

1. Although no wi-fi capabilities, Sprint (and other carriers) keep racheting up the data speed of their wireless networks. Dave (the guy we interviewed) mentiond that a new data system will be launched in early 2005 with at least 10X speed of current network.

I agree with an earlier poster that mentioned wi-fi isn't everywhere...yet And having the ability to be online anywhere with cell coverage is awesome. And with Sprint, $15 for unlimited data is a bargain.

Which brings me to point #2: Dave stressed the new application possibilities available through faster data networks, and also reiterated the low unlimited price of their data plan.

Regarding the camera...sure a better camera would have been nice, but the fact remains that with a 1/4" lens, you could throw an 8 megapixel sensor in there, and the pictures will still be crappy. It's great for what it is and the form factor.

I was a Handspring/Digital Link user, then Treo 300 and now the 600 (for one year now) and although I don't think Palm did themselves any favors with this upgrade. I still don't see the PPC phones as being nearly as flexible as the Palm smartphones. To me, it's all about the available software and ease of use...and for nearly three years now, I have carried only ONE device...YEAH!

The link for our interview can be found in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=60109
    Rick
    "...There is no try..." - Yoda
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    they are crippling their SD slot on purpose because carriers dont want this phone to have wifi ESPECIALLY sprint who dont want people bypassing vision plans and vision business packs.
    Yeah, and then Sprint is crippling the Bluetooth so that you can't use it for Dial-Up networking in tandem with a laptop! Come on Sprint! If you can't really support a hi-speed network, then don't pretend! If you create a network that gets good benchmark speeds only because it limits end-users to nothing but downloading cutesy ring-tones and games, and the occasional email (with no attachments), then is it really revolutionary?