Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I agree this is a poor upgrade. Same amount of ram, no 400mhz xscale processor (like what was originally speced), and a vga 640 camera. Come on Palm, I don't know about most people, but for me a better screen and bt is not going to get me to shell out $600. Looks like the wait continues. Maybe the Treo 700 or some other smartphones that are being released in 05'. I think the benq PPC is due out in 2nd qtr 05' too. Recently read a review (think it was on treocentral) that verifies one of my fears the removable battery takes away from the structural integrity of the phone. They claimed the phone felt loose.
    Last edited by jayzee; 10/25/2004 at 06:52 AM.
    Good morning everyone! I've used the PPC and they really are not that bad. I was debating between buying a PPC or the new Treo 650. I even bought the T600 from AT&T and when I found out that the T650 was coming soon, I returned it prior to the 30 day return policy expired.

The specs. on the Treo 650 really fall short. It's not that you have to have a high end camera (yes, yes...you can use your CyberShot 8.0MP for that). It's not that you have to have more memory (you can buy 1GB or even 2GB SD card). It's not that you have to have Wi-Fi (you can always use your laptop for that). But, am I missing the point of the is concept of "ALL IN ONE DEVICE"???????

Why would you spend that kind of money (not determined yet...but sure to be around $600) for a phone, with a PDA??? And still have to carry around a camera, labtop...etc.?? Don't get me wrong...I was soooo impressed with the Treo 600. Being a PPC user, I was afraid that using a PalmOS would not meet my need...very surprised that it was great in all aspect! But come on....If you expect people to pay so much for this device, at least make sure it is "Cutting Edge". There are a lot of PPC out now or coming out soon that will really be "Treo Killers". The form factor is an issue, I agree...but they really not not bricks as so many people are saying. I also agree that the Treo 600/650 form factor is great and better than the PPC smartphones.

Actually, I waited to get the T650 and now I feel let down and that I need to start my search for a new smartphone again.

That's my 2cents worth.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I don't know why people complain about the "lack" of processor speed. Do you not know that this processor can be overclocked to over 700mhz with NOOOOOO problem. It's the same processor they are using in pocket pcs for over a year now. My main concern is the screen. It was a huge stepback going from my ipaq to my treo 600 screen wise. My Ipaq also had bluetooth. The treo 650 will be the killer device for me. Now I just hope palm developes a better PIM manager like pocket informant. I'll still be buying a 650 the moment they are released. Me being the store manager for a Sprint Store, I'll be first in line
    Personally, the whole furor over the lack of WiFi and/or the lack of a "better" camera is beyond me. My fiance has a UX-50. We travel extensively and when we are fortunate enough to find a "hotspot" so she can utilize her vaunted WiFi it's not long before she's reaching for my T600 because her battery is dead or dying. Not to mention the time in between "hotspots" when her only chance at connectivity is my T600. As for the camera, let's be clear, we're whining because we don't have a 1.3MP camera? Did I miss something? Since when did 1.3MP become something to aspire to?
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    No, a 1.3MP camera is nothing to aspire to...you are correct...that is why the 0.3MP camera is such a joke!
    Hi, Guys. I have been a big Treo fan. I have owned a 270 and a 600. I just ordered a SMT-5600 last week. This phone is very small and it supposedly has a great phone. I have returned my 600 now three times to get one that will compete with any of my friend's free phones. I know if doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, but I think this is an acceptable tradeoff. For me, I don't think I will be buying anything else from PalmOne again.

PalmOne also didn't replace a defective language SD card I bought from them. They are just way to bureaucratic for me. good luck with the search guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstyle
    Personally, the whole furor over the lack of WiFi and/or the lack of a "better" camera is beyond me. My fiance has a UX-50. We travel extensively and when we are fortunate enough to find a "hotspot" so she can utilize her vaunted WiFi it's not long before she's reaching for my T600 because her battery is dead or dying. Not to mention the time in between "hotspots" when her only chance at connectivity is my T600. As for the camera, let's be clear, we're whining because we don't have a 1.3MP camera? Did I miss something? Since when did 1.3MP become something to aspire to?

The point is it's better to pay over $600 and have the options of wifi and a 1.3MP camera than it is to pay over $600 and not have these options. PalmOne dropped the ball on this one...
    Also, we are just saying that this device is not keeping up with what the other devices out there or soon to be out there are offering. Why pay a high dollar amount for a low feature rich device????

Don't forget, if the T650 had Wi-fi it could be used in a hot spot and when not in a hot spot via your carriers data service...just saying that it would be a nice option (but yes...it is not all that essential with EDGE. But more memory is and that is because not all programs will install on a SD card. Some must be install on the phone itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    No, a 1.3MP camera is nothing to aspire to...you are correct...that is why the 0.3MP camera is such a joke!
    Is there something job-related that requires you have a high MP camera? It just seems to that if I truly needed quality photos, I'd use an actual camera. Similarly, if I needed to print out quality photos, I wouldn't use my all-in-one fax/copier/scanner/printer.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Actually, I own a real estate firm and a general contracting firm. Also I own a restaurant. So are for work related issues .......yes. It would be very useful. Also, for personal use, there are always times when I wish I had my Cybershot with me but it is just to big to carry around all the time. No a 1.3MP will not be used to take the most important pictures, you can usually plan for those times and have a better camera with you...but it is nice to have a "good" camera available for the unexpected....for snapping a photo of a building that you need to sell, for snapping a picture of a layout for clients etc....the list can go on and on....and those items don't really need to be at 5.0 or 8.0MP quality.

Also, there are devices out there that offer it....why pay for a device that does not??? The Treo650 will not be selling for any less than devices that do offer these features.
    what made the T600 so great and such a great seller was the fact that it was pushing the edge of tech. and offered things that were not out there from any other device....can the same be said of the "new" Treo650???

Even P1 states that the 650 is just "what the 600 should have been"
    The only things that would make me upgrade would be:
    1. 1.3 or more megapixels cam w/flash, zoom, etc.
    2. 400+ mhz processor
    3. 64mb ram/rom
    4. removable battery
    5. BT
    6. Wi-Fi
    7. EDGE/EV-DO
    8. 65k or more color, 320x320 screen
    9. Palm OS 6
    10. Same form-factor of the treo 600/650
    OR, if my treo600 falls apart, whichever comes first.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The big problem with the PDA2k is it does not support SprintPCS and isn't it around $1,000 to $1,200?

That's doubling the price, nearly triple with contracts.
    It will be coming to both Sprint and Verizon in a CDMA version. It will be exactly the same as the PDA2K, but have EVDO instead of WiFi. Of course, with a PPC, you CAN add a WiFi card. I am truly amazed at Palm1.

Their stupidity and short-sightedness never fail to amaze me. I will not be upgrading my T600 to a 650. For the price of a 650, I will try out the PDA2K (or the Sprint version). And, yes, the price will probably be very close with a new contract. The $1000 that people are paying now are for phones that are not carrier specific. Over at HoFo, they claim that Cingular will have it soon for around $500-600 and it will be unlocked. I love my Treo. I loved the 300 and then the 600, but I am not going to shell out $600 for 650 (which is really more of a 610 or even what the 600 should have been a year ago). The problem I have is not any single shortcoming, but all of them combined; plus I have to get all new accessories that fit the connector. Hell, Palm1 doesn’t even give you a damn cradle in the box!

I have said it before and I will say it again: Palm1 never fails to disappoint.
    Jeff
    Honestly, the only thing that really disappoints me is the low memory. I use my SD card for a lot, but as was stated earlier, can't install everything on an SD card.

I use the camera to photo my kids at the times I don't have my canon on me, but I have my canon in my glove box for real estate purposes anyway.

WiFi - for me, not an issue. At all. Seriously, with Sprint Vision and unlimited data, wifi isn't a big deal. Now for those of you with EDGE and a pay per mb plan... I can see why you want WiFi.

Screen size - finally, I can play some new games. Seriously, though, this will help a lot with email and the calendar.

Here's the next question that I've not seen answered: Will my $400 worth of software I've purchased for my 600 work with the 650 if (when) I get it? This will truly be the deal maker for me. If I don't have to go buy everything again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    ...plus I have to get all new accessories that fit the connector. Hell, Palm1 doesn’t even give you a damn cradle in the box!

I have said it before and I will say it again: Palm1 never fails to disappoint.
    I believe I read somewhere that the new connection was due to the fact that the current 600 connect was old technology, and would not support faster transfer rates....but not sure of this point (maybe someone else read the internetnews article and remembers what was said).

But I have to agree...the shortcomings are just too much for this type of phone/PDA...they are being very short sighted with the 650. Although, they could have push this "upgrade" out the door to meed a deadline and then come out with another "improved" model early next year (BUT IT DOUBT THAT!)
    I do not see P1 coming out with another treo until Fall 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Van Gaasbeek
    ....but I have my canon in my glove box for real estate purposes anyway.
    Is keep a digital camera in the glove box a good idea?? Doesnt the extreme heat destroy the camera??

and hey, we can always keep a laptop in the glove box too and not really need to use the T650. We could just buy a great cell phone, a great PDA, a great laptop (I already have all the $oftware...and hell it even has a full version of OUTLOOK on it...no sync required...I guess if you are going to lugg around the Laptop - no need for great PDA ), and a great 8.0MP camera and we are done with smartphones. See no need to carry just one device at the Treo smartphones were designed to accomplish....
    I was just shopping a few weeks ago when I joined this forum. I have always preferred the idea of ppc but I got hooked on the idea of the treo 650. I'm not impressed with the talk about crippled bt or the idea of having all my apps on a 1GB SD card. It reminds me of the time I shelled out an enormous amount of money for a Tandy 1400, 286, 8Mhz, 8bit data path, laptop with 768k (128k for ram disk!) and two 720k floppy drives. It was state of the art for a second. I can invision spending hours on the weekends trying to cram little apps into the limited memory. Using google trying to get advice on how to get around the bottlenecks. I can imagine paying $$$ sending it off, voiding the warranty, to get some extra memory and maybe have it overclocked. Pretty soon I'll have a 1500 unit. I'm with Sprint though and it just seems that there is no other reasonable choice for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The big problem with the PDA2k is it does not support SprintPCS and isn't it around $1,000 to $1,200?

That's doubling the price, nearly triple with contracts.
    yep.. the PDA2k is £579.95 according to expansys.com.

the PDA2k is also 12.6mm (1/2 inch) wider, 12mm (1/2 inch) taller, and 4.3mm (little over 1/8 inch) thinner.

Basicaly, the PDA2k is a 1/2 inch taller Treo 300, that's far too large for a phone.

So maybe the Treo650 isn't everything, it's still a damn good PHONE, not a PDA with a GSM/CDMA radio smashed into it.
    So you want to pay over $600 for a "damn good PHONE"??
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast