Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From reading the TreoCentral write up AND the Palm site, they mention NOTHING of the wi-fi card being used with the 650. Does this mean....that they have just not yet written drivers...?!
    This could be a deal breaker.....there isn't enough unless the Wifi card will work, eventually in my mind. I've been perusing the "stuff" released so far and hopefully TC will advise in their first reports.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    PalmInfoCenter

The following is from PIC
    The built in expansion slot can accommodate MMC, SD and SDIO cards. However, it will not support the palmOne WiFi SD card at launch. palmOne claims to be evaluating the situation, so there is only a slight potential the card will eventually be supported.
    Evaluation the situation.......what's to evaluate. If you don't provide it I will not buy it.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  4.    #4  
    what's up with palmone? wifi is a hot selling word if nothing else. WHY oh why are palm so far behind.
    Well this is my $0.02 on the wifi and drivers... The Treo 650 and T|5 both have the same memory structure, same OS, and prob the same SDIO slot. Who says someone could not 'tweek' the drivers for the WiFi card. I think someone can do this assuming that the voltage on both units are the same... Of course they have to release the drivers for the T|5 first...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Forgotten part of our article, now added in:

"Regarding WiFi: There is no out of the box WiFi card at launch says Greg Shirai. PalmOne has no plan to support a WiFi card on the Treo 650. Shirai noted that it is a lot more complicated than updating the Zire 72's driver software, as the radios interfere with eachother. "
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Good point Swifty.

You know, if they're not going to include wi-fi in the thing, they should at least have an add-on ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Well this is my $0.02 on the wifi and drivers... The Treo 650 and T|5 both have the same memory structure, same OS, and prob the same SDIO slot. Who says someone could not 'tweek' the drivers for the WiFi card. I think someone can do this assuming that the voltage on both units are the same... Of course they have to release the drivers for the T|5 first...

Timmay
    This is what we're reduced to, trying to tweak a "finished" product to get it to do what it should have done in the first place.

Maybe TreoCentral should take up another collection like they did for Bluetooth.
  9.    #9  
    If there's a will there's a way.... So your telling me there are no other smartphones that have wifi either because of radio interference? If there ARE some, then there is a way.... what's the bet they will bring out the Treo 680 sometime to rip us off again, when they finally wake up and work out wifi
    Not supporting the WIFI SD card is extremely disappointing!!!
  11.    #11  
    its insane.
  12.    #12  
    how about them supporting wifi with the phone turned OFF? OK, not the best solution, but at least it will be someway there!
    Palm1's real customers are the carriers, Sprint, Verizon, etc. They have every reason NOT to want wi-fi in the 650, since it could cut into sales of their data plans. Same with limited bluetooth and, probably, the low internal memory (to keep down the bandwith usage from downloads) since all of that that can cut into profits. My guess, is it is the carriers who everybody should be complaining about.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Forgotten part of our article, now added in:

"Regarding WiFi: There is no out of the box WiFi card at launch says Greg Shirai. PalmOne has no plan to support a WiFi card on the Treo 650. Shirai noted that it is a lot more complicated than updating the Zire 72's driver software, as the radios interfere with eachother. "

This could mean that I'm off to another device perhaps a PPC specifically either a Dell X50v or an Asus 760v. Both have BT and Wifi and supposedly Sprint is coming out with another BT device soon.

The radio interference issue: Doesn't T-Mobile have a PPC/Smartphone that has BT, Wifi, and phone like this one.

I guess PPC can figure out the "interference" issues. aaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Moose Man
    guys... i read somewhere... there is a bluetooth to wi-fi gateway solution (a external box which you can use at home)
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    This could mean that I'm off to another device perhaps a PPC specifically either a Dell X50v or an Asus 760v. Both have BT and Wifi and supposedly Sprint is coming out with another BT device soon.

The radio interference issue: Doesn't T-Mobile have a PPC/Smartphone that has BT, Wifi, and phone like this one.

I guess PPC can figure out the "interference" issues. aaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Yes, I have it and it works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Yes, I have it and it works great!

I'm stuck with Sprint due to corporate issues....they pay the monthly.
    Moose Man
    I'm still hoping the P1 will surprise us tomorrow with the ultimate $1,000 Treo that has BT, Wifi, 320 X 480, 4.1megapixel camera, Cobalt and a battery life of 3 years.

Ha!
    Moose Man
    Please make it work with WiFi...

I was waiting for it....

WiFi!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    I'm still hoping the P1 will surprise us tomorrow with the ultimate $1,000 Treo that has BT, Wifi, 320 X 480, 4.1megapixel camera, Cobalt and a battery life of 3 years.

Ha!
    I would spend it, even ifthe battery life was two days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast