Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty
    From reading the TreoCentral write up AND the Palm site, they mention NOTHING of the wi-fi card being used with the 650. Does this mean....that they have just not yet written drivers...?!
    Post #15 was the last time (of the many) I had typed out the explanation. I am not going to type it again, just read the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Post #15 was the last time (of the many) I had typed out the explanation. I am not going to type it again, just read the link.
    I'm a little surprised that discussions of why the 650 lacks WiFi never seem to mention the following four letters:

VOIP

Has anyone tried Skype?

Anyone here spend 80-90% of their time in WiFi enabled environments?

Would anyone like to spend as little as possible on a voice plan, get unlimited data for $20 more, and be able to talk all the time for next to nothing? Probably. I think the cell phone companies, however, might not be so hot on the idea.

Anyways, just a theory (in short that PalmOne was under considerable pressure from resellers to not include WiFi and thereby accelerate VOIP and reduce reseller profit).
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Forgotten part of our article, now added in:

"Regarding WiFi: There is no out of the box WiFi card at launch says Greg Shirai. PalmOne has no plan to support a WiFi card on the Treo 650. Shirai noted that it is a lot more complicated than updating the Zire 72's driver software, as the radios interfere with eachother. "
    I bet if no ordered the new t650 they would put wifi in before Jan. and an extra 64meg to boot
    Let's just hope that tomorrow we get a better answer like, "We will be making a driver that will support the WiFi SD card" Or something like that. Anyways as other users stated before, drivers can be adapted from the T5. Any developers around here?

Al
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    If you buy a lexus to you have to get tires? Why is it that we who have stuck with the treos 300 and 600s have grown to accept the need to Hack the os to make it work.
    We pay $$$ it should give us $$$ features.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Let's just hope that tomorrow we get a better answer like, "We will be making a driver that will support the WiFi SD card" Or something like that. Anyways as other users stated before, drivers can be adapted from the T5. Any developers around here?

Al
    Problem is that the T E2 (I mean T5), doesn't have a GSM or CDMA radio to contend with. There are problems with the underlying OS, and you will need an upgraded Bluetooth stack too. Those are big obstacles to overcome for someone who is not internal to PalmOne. Remember that even on the T E2 (I mean T5), Bluetooth and WIFI will be mutually exclusive.

PLMO needs Cobalt ready and available. Their strategy is to not do the work twice on current OS 5.4? and Cobalt. This could be a big mistake if they don't deliver Cobalt devices early next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by slam
    Those are big obstacles to overcome for someone who is not internal to PalmOne. Remember that even on the T E2 (I mean T5), Bluetooth and WIFI will be mutually exclusive.
    Ok, maybe I'm a paranoid conspiracy nut, but I feel certain that the lack of WIFI has nothing to do with technological barriers, and everything to do with VOIP.

Let me paint the scenario: imagine being able to choose a low cost minutes provider among competitors, bypassing your cell phone provider, ANYTIME YOU HAD 802.11 B AVAILABLE. Is that good for mobile providers? Especially when they're selling you a $20/month unlimited data plan? No - it's not.

Also, recall that PalmOne will depend heavily on reseller subsidies to get its product moving.

Here are a few articles describing the fact that WIFI phone + VOIP is coming, really fast.

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0...9125077,00.htm
    "Vonage, the world's largest commercial provider of voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone services, and commercial hot-spot provider Boingo Wireless said they intend to co-market each other's services later this year. Meanwhile, Boingo said it is working with handset makers to integrate its software into Wi-Fi-ready phones.

Vonage teamed up with gear makers Linksys and Netgear in August to make VoIP service available through Wi-Fi equipment. Net2Phone made a similar move to unwire in April. "

http://www.integratedmar.com/ecl-usa...cfm?item=11758
    "Research In Motion (RIM) is demonstrating a new BlackBerry Wireless Handheld that operates on 802.11b networks and incorporates both voice and data capabilities. The BlackBerry 7270 will be the first BlackBerry handheld to feature VoIP and WLAN support. "
    Dster, you've hit it on the head. P1 probably doesn't have a choice if they want access to hi-volume distribution channels => sort of bleak prospects for P1 interest in developing drivers for wifi on the Treo platform. Sigh.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12